2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Transmission replacement - need advice

06-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #23
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrko View Post
Any reason why I don't see the transmission replacement on the RealOEM website?
Their database is a couple months old
      06-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure how that works. Can you elaborate?
That is because in the US we have Lemon laws that allow you to have recourse in the event of repeat issues with a car. without the law there is no ability to "lemon".

Be patient drakko. Sucks to be in your situation, but just work towards getting a commitment for getting a new tranny (or remanufactured...same as new I guess) and get it replaced. If your car goes unused for a month it is no big deal. I leave my cars for a month without an issue and don't do anything special. Once you go longer than that, then you can take measures, but right now even starting up the car once a week is fine.

How is the car behaving if you drive it daily? Has BMW asked you to park it somewhere and not use it? Have they given you a courtesy car?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #25
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Wow, this us just unacceptable even for a company like honda. You spend alomst 80k on a car and its useless sitting in your garage for some unknown time?

I am losing patience just hearing about it. Did you try to escalate the problem ?You dont have to be rude[I doubt] but be assertive.

No wonder porsche charges you a premium. I read on a forum that porsche shipped the entire engine/tranny/electronics overnight air when the engine of the 911 stalled[brand new car]. Apparantly the german enginners were upset that the dealer in US even tried to fix it. They wanted the defective unit[untouched] back in germany to troubleshoot it themselves.

Being patient is important but I would waste no time in contacting the chairman. I Hope they gave you an equivalent replacement car till then.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Their database is a couple months old
Makes sense, I was thinking maybe its a special "BMW-exclusive" part or something like that and BMW was keeping it for themselves. I gotta stop with these conspiracy theories!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Re-manufactured units are regarded as "as new" by BMW
But on a new model such as this there usually are not any around and you will get a new unit

BMW have a specific facility in Germany that processes all re-manufactured engines and gearboxes making them as new.
Wow...but yeah you are right, re-manufactured parts are EOL parts so I guess this transmission still has some years before EOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
That is because in the US we have Lemon laws that allow you to have recourse in the event of repeat issues with a car. without the law there is no ability to "lemon".

Be patient drakko. Sucks to be in your situation, but just work towards getting a commitment for getting a new tranny (or remanufactured...same as new I guess) and get it replaced. If your car goes unused for a month it is no big deal. I leave my cars for a month without an issue and don't do anything special. Once you go longer than that, then you can take measures, but right now even starting up the car once a week is fine.

How is the car behaving if you drive it daily? Has BMW asked you to park it somewhere and not use it? Have they given you a courtesy car?
They have advised me not to drive it, I am taking their advice. Its no fun anyway, it jerks while up-shifting around the 4th gear and down-shifting around the 2nd gear. No sir, no "driving pleasure" here.

This dealer is also the dealer for Mitsubishi and Mini, they offered me a Lancer as they do not have any spare BMW vehicles. I said no, thank you. I prefer my Accord which luckily I had hung on to till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
Wow, this us just unacceptable even for a company like honda. You spend alomst 80k on a car and its useless sitting in your garage for some unknown time?

I am losing patience just hearing about it. Did you try to escalate the problem ?You dont have to be rude[I doubt] but be assertive.

No wonder porsche charges you a premium. I read on a forum that porsche shipped the entire engine/tranny/electronics overnight air when the engine of the 911 stalled[brand new car]. Apparantly the german enginners were upset that the dealer in US even tried to fix it. They wanted the defective unit[untouched] back in germany to troubleshoot it themselves.

Being patient is important but I would waste no time in contacting the chairman. I Hope they gave you an equivalent replacement car till then.
I guess you get what you pay for, shoulda bought the 911 On that note, I paid $130k for this car inclusive of exorbitant and ridiculous Customs duty and BS taxes, not $80k. It surely is no fun to drive up to work and see it parked and not being able to drive it, especially when it had just been 3 weeks and I was just getting the hang of it. I hate driving my Accord now....can't blame me! I did make noise, I am keeping the pressure on but also giving them a chance to work it out. As E90Fleet mentioned it is very likely that the part is not available so there is not much more that I can achieve, but the minute I feel I am not getting the attention I deserve....I will be all over their a$$.
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #27
BigP535I
Second Lieutenant
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: F10 AW Mtech

a lil drastic but why not lemon your car? I dont know that works in europe but if they sold you a defective car since day 1, why not make them take it back altogether and get a new car?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:10 AM   #28
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigP535I View Post
a lil drastic but why not lemon your car? I dont know that works in europe but if they sold you a defective car since day 1, why not make them take it back altogether and get a new car?
I'm not located in the US (not in Europe either, Asia in fact) and we don't have that kind of consumer protection through laws in my country. That said, I'm not entirely sure if the transmission replacement alone puts forward a convincing argument in favor of returning the car. I waited 4 months for delivery of my customized F10, who knows how much longer I would have to wait for the next production slot. I understand that things go wrong, mechanical parts may fail but my problem right now is the non-availability of the replacement part and perhaps what I perceive (possibly incorrectly) as a lack of urgency on behalf of my dealer in obtaining the replacement part. Besides, the car wasn't defective from day 1, I drove it without any issues for 3 weeks.

Yes, if this happened again despite the replacement I would definitely consider an exchange, if given the option.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #29
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigP535I View Post
As I posted before, I have never seen a car lemon'd outside the USA.

I would like to hear from anyone that has.

Most places they just replace the defective parts under warranty, even if it takes a long time.

Also, do all US states have a Lemon law ? I seem to recall some dont
      06-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #30
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Without the benefit of US lemon laws, the OP is probably stuck with the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty, or some kind of claim against the seller (dealer) for breach of whatever warranty or consumer protection laws cover a situation like this. After all, the car is broken and can't be fixed, at least in the foreseeable future. Most countries would have some remedy for that, I should think. Take a hard look at the printed warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #31
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Without the benefit of US lemon laws, the OP is probably stuck with the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty, or some kind of claim against the seller (dealer) for breach of whatever warranty or consumer protection laws cover a situation like this. After all, the car is broken and can't be fixed, at least in the foreseeable future. Most countries would have some remedy for that, I should think. Take a hard look at the printed warranty.
The dealer is obliged to "fix" the car if any issue arises within the 2-year warranty period with unlimited mileage. I am prepared to give them a chance to make things right and to be fair, the dealer has not once tried to wriggle out of it. In the event that the "problem" becomes irreparable I guess then would be a good time to push for a replacement.

I wish we had lemon laws too but I would rather there were multiple dealers so they could compete for my patronage. The way things are right now, this could have just as easily gone bad had my dealer been "bad", leaving me in a lurch.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #32
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

It's a tough problem. I think it's true for anybody that dealer support is an essential part of the choice as to what car you buy.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #33
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Update:
Ok guys, the replacement arrived last week and they invited me over for the unpacking and installation this Mon. Despite my efforts BMW did send an RMFD unit, along with a detailed explanation about how RMFD units comply with all QA standards as a new unit and that I should not be worried at all. Given the experience that I had with a brand new transmission and obviously that one must have "passed" all QA standards too....I could not find a reason to reject it. Besides, no new ones were available in their system. My local dealer has also offered me an additional 1 year warranty on the transmission besides the 2-year warranty that I already have.

They took 3 days for the dismantling, installation and testing and I am happy to report that the car is perfectly fine now. There are no jerks at all....pretty much the way it was when I got it. I am so happy to be back in the driving seat, can't tell you guys how painful it was to come to work every day and see it parked outside and not be able to drive it.

I also changed the stock headlight bulbs with the Osram CBI and OMG! The difference is fantastic! I can't stress enough how this mod is totally necessary for all cars with bi-xenons. The difference is literally night and day. Now the light is crisp white with zero hint of warm. It perfectly matches the angel eyes LED and looks just brilliant!

Once again thanks guys for all the words of encouragement and support. No BMW owner should be without his/her car for more than a few hours, this is what I have learned from my experience. Happy & safe driving to all!
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #34
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Amazing news! It is great to hear you are back on the saddle!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #35
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Excellent news!

Now you have to catch up to those missing days of not driving the car. Looks like an extremely long road trip is in order.

Those Osram CBI does make it look sharper & whiter and provide the same amoutn of lumens as stock. No more of those yellowish hue.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #36
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
It all worked out!!

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #37
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Yeah its good to be back! The CBIs make night driving a pure pleasure, before changing them I used to hate the warm hues of the stock bulbs. Upon replacing them I checked out the stock bulbs and they are also Osram Xenarc, why can't BMW just use the CBIs and add even more value to the car?
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #38
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah its good to be back! The CBIs make night driving a pure pleasure, before changing them I used to hate the warm hues of the stock bulbs. Upon replacing them I checked out the stock bulbs and they are also Osram Xenarc, why can't BMW just use the CBIs and add even more value to the car?
How easy hard was it to switch the bulbs? I know it sounds stupid but I have never changed a Xenon bulb. The Xenons on my e46 are still burning bright
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #39
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
I didn't do it myself, I just gave the bulbs to the dealer and asked them to do the replacement. I am a little hesitant when it comes to tinkering with the car, I may have given it a shot if the car had not already been at the workshop so I figured I'd take the easy way out.

From what I've read on the forum it doesn't seem to be very difficult, if you are so inclined to DIYs. AFAIK there is a panel right behind the headlights in the front wheel wells and you open that to take out the bulb and switch it out. If you prefer the white light to the warm stocks this little mod will rock your world! Def recommended.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #40
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

The Mercedes E/CLS/S class all have the Osram CBI since the MY2012

As for DIY, if you have small hand, then it's a very easy 10 minutes drop (each side) but if you have a bigger hand, it can be challenging (taking out not an issue and it's putting in that you will need to twist to lock the bulb back in).
Appreciate 0