2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum RTTI not always working (UK)

06-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #23
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I've complted around 150 miles of driving today, dwon from london to the south coast, a few short trips down there and back to London. no RTTI for the entire day.
Me thinks this is not working properly.I can't believe that there is no GPRS reception for this all day. (I think I'm right in saying its t-mobile that bmw use for this?)

Looks like anoterh question for teh service department at my dealership....
Unless anyone anything else on the matter. Any fixes?
I am driving to St Andrews tomorrow. I shall see if I get any luck. So far I have not seen it working once...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #24
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskdale View Post
...The easiest I have found way to check if the car has a Data connection (Anyone who knows an easier way please chip in) is to go to the ConnectDrive menu and select the "Service status"...
...Interested to know what you find
Jon
Interesting info; thanks for posting.
I just checked my Sep '10 F10 (Pro nav) and found the 'Update BMW services' option was available. I clicked it and, after a few seconds of the revolving blue circle, it indicated that the update was successfully completed. Only problem is that I've no idea what's been changed - can you enlighten me?
I get the warning triangle changing from grey to red if there are any problems on my route, but it's usually way behind and any problems have been cleared by the time I've reached the trouble spot, so I tend to ignore it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
AP
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

well drive down to the south west of the Uk today and no RTTI on the way down.
Selected update bmw services and it sat there preparing data, gavce up a while.

However on theway back , different story, tmc intially for the first minute or two and then RTTI was active for the rest of the journey (and actively redirected me around some traffic)

So whats going on, it would appear that if it doesn't get a signal, it gives up and doesn't retry.
Are there any methods to get it to retry - is it bug within the system?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #26
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
well drive down to the south west of the Uk today and no RTTI on the way down.
Selected update bmw services and it sat there preparing data, gavce up a while.

However on theway back , different story, tmc intially for the first minute or two and then RTTI was active for the rest of the journey (and actively redirected me around some traffic)

So whats going on, it would appear that if it doesn't get a signal, it gives up and doesn't retry.
Are there any methods to get it to retry - is it bug within the system?
Hi AP, I think there may be two issues here

a) There is certainly an issue where the car fails to get a data connection even when a strong signal is present if there is no signal when you start the car. What makes it eventually connect I don't know for sure but it is location based rather than time based. That is it starts working when moving to certain areas which like means it is the transfer to a different cell or a different cell type that starts it work.

b) I don't know which day or time you went down to the west country. I went down to Cornwall Friday Evening and even though the car had reception none of the services would work properly. RTTI, BMW online and even Info Plus would not work at all. So It's possible there was a BMW server outage.

On the return journey This Sunday evening I had problems for the first 30 miles but then it all started working around about 18:30

Jon
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Interesting info; thanks for posting.
I just checked my Sep '10 F10 (Pro nav) and found the 'Update BMW services' option was available. I clicked it and, after a few seconds of the revolving blue circle, it indicated that the update was successfully completed. Only problem is that I've no idea what's been changed - can you enlighten me?
I get the warning triangle changing from grey to red if there are any problems on my route, but it's usually way behind and any problems have been cleared by the time I've reached the trouble spot, so I tend to ignore it.
Hi Jon
I don't think it necessarily means anything has changed as that is the normal operation. The Update is dimmed out when the car doesn't have data signal reception but if it is not dimmed and you click it then it downloads about 5k of data and refreshes the options for your car but it always says update successful unless there is a problem transferring the data. While it is transferring you can press the options button and select data transfer and can see the progress of the transfer.

The warning triangle goes yellow when there is a traffic issue or Red if there is a critical traffic issue such as Road ahead closed. I must agree with you on the quality of the Traffic info. It seems OK at giving info on areas that are regular traffic problems but rarely picks up any of the unexpected traffic problems. On my way back from Cornwall on the M5 Tonight there was a major accident with at least 6 emergency vehicles on site but no notification on the SatNav even when the RTTI was working.
Jon
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #28
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskdale View Post
...I must agree with you on the quality of the Traffic info...
Hi Jon,
Thanks for your response; do you have the latest pro-nav with full RTTI, which BMW announced fairly recently? If so, it would appear that it's not much better than my 2010 version.
Cheers,
Jon
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #29
AP
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

eskdale,for info I was travelling down to the west country during sunday morning. I traveled back starting around 3pm and RTTI worked then.

this is frstrating now, but in 3 years time when (and I think i'm right concerning this) you need to suscribe again to this server, I'd be more peeved off if i'm paying for this service and don't get it.

(how much is it to contiue to use RTTI after the 3 years are up? assume it all bundled with the conenctive stuff)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #30
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Hi Jon,
Thanks for your response; do you have the latest pro-nav with full RTTI, which BMW announced fairly recently? If so, it would appear that it's not much better than my 2010 version.
Cheers,
Jon
Hi Jon, Mine is a 2012 F11 with Pro-Nav and RTTI. The RTTI is better than the TMC and does a reasonable job at Traffic Hotspots. This morning it was showing 14 minutes delay on the M4 at Newport S.Wales which was about right although I don't know who wrote the software for the SatNav they must have come from a different world where time travel exist. The SatNav tells me I have 7 miles to the destination and my arrival time is in 11 minutes time but at the same time it tells me there is 14 minutes delay and bypassing is not recommended. Wonderfully helpful if you just look at its arrival time!! and don't go and dig through to find out the delays.

TomTom would do this for you with just a glance at the screen. They do really need to sort these things out, when a £150 unit does a far better job.

However if there is an accident or Roadworks that are not at a normal time or place it seems to totally ignore them!!

One last moan if I travel the M4 from West Wales and want to go North on the M5 it always says the slip road from the M4 to the M5 is closed and takes you on a diversion. This would be excellent if the slip road was actually closed but its been doing this every time I take that route for the last 3 months and although there are road works there the slip road has never been closed!!! You can accept the odd error in the traffic but not for more than 3 months !!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #31
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

this is frstrating now, but in 3 years time when (and I think i'm right concerning this) you need to suscribe again to this server, I'd be more peeved off if i'm paying for this service and don't get it.
You've paid for it now !!!

Yes its all in the same bundle as I understand
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #32
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

All right. I haver the answer to my issue, at least. My car is a 2010 and the RTTI support is available for cars manufactured post August 2011. I was told so when I called BMW customer services via my Connected Idrive..
Appreciate 0