2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Engine Malfunction

01-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #23
Salter
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i

I'm dealing with a low speed "jolt" that the dealer has finally acknowledged as a problem (I had to build a case for it!) and now struggling to figure out. I expect little in the way of a quick solution. But in the meantime they provided a newish 328 as a loaner (bumpy ride! I miss my "comfort" settings).

By their own admission (which I appreciate), they are using a process of elimination (not unlike how the software industry deals with complex "bugs") and are completely dependent on cycles of feedback from BMW HQ to try and diagnose the problem. When it comes down to it, just as others mentioned in this thread, there's much that service departments don't know. Especially with new models (mine is an Oct 2010 production).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #24
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Is the jolt you are talking about is from a stop?

Last edited by scottz5; 01-20-2011 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #25
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salter View Post
I'm dealing with a low speed "jolt" that the dealer has finally acknowledged as a problem (I had to build a case for it!) and now struggling to figure out. I expect little in the way of a quick solution. But in the meantime they provided a newish 328 as a loaner (bumpy ride! I miss my "comfort" settings).

By their own admission (which I appreciate), they are using a process of elimination (not unlike how the software industry deals with complex "bugs") and are completely dependent on cycles of feedback from BMW HQ to try and diagnose the problem. When it comes down to it, just as others mentioned in this thread, there's much that service departments don't know. Especially with new models (mine is an Oct 2010 production).
What you are describing sounds like a transmision related issue rather than engine related. Many of us are experiencing short shifts and a variety of jolts that happen both shifting up and down. There is technically probably nothing wrong with the 8 speed, rather is the way that BMW and ZF decided to do their shift and engine management software. (with an emphasis on getting better gas mileage) Hopefully, with all the numerous complaints, Germany is working on getting this dialed in better and will have a software update sometime this year. I would think this in on their to-do list since these issues were even reported on when they did the initial 5 series introduction to Journalists early last year. At least this is my theory to your "jolt"
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #26
Salter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5 View Post
Is the jolt you are talking about is from a stop?
Hi scottz5. Not necessarily. But since it happens always at 8km/h (around 5mp/h), it is rare that I get to this point without stopping first. In other words, if I happen to slow down to say around 4kmh (without stopping) and then accelerate through 8kmh, it'll "kick".
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #27
Salter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
What you are describing sounds like a transmision related issue rather than engine related. At least this is my theory to your "jolt"
Hi ghueser. You may be right. The "jolt" is probably not transmission related - I shifted into full "manual" (staying in 1st gear) but the "jolt" showed up regardless. The shop foreman guessed that the problem could be with the "transfer case", which is an Xdrive specific mechanism to transfer torque from rear to front wheels. I'm hoping that it's a software issue, but suspect it may not be the case.

I followed a number of threads on the "jerk" and "jolt" below 10mph, but it seems that some of the problems described are not the same, even if we all use some of the same language to describe the behavior.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #28
SD535
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Final Update???

Hopefully...

They had a regional tech come by and he indicated to them that the code from the car could mean 2 things: 1.) Replace half of the engine (which they did)... well maybe I'm exagerating a bit... or 2.) it is a faulty module.
After replacing the "module", they drove it for 100 miles and it seemed OK.

At least I made it all the way home this time.

Not really happy about the unecessary work or the 23 days out of service, but they sent me a check for $800 for my payment.

I guess I also can't really complain about having the 328 X-drive loaner during the worst few weeks of New England weather in decades (50+ inches of snow and ice), considering I have not gotten the snow tires for mine yet...

Here is the work order if it helps anyone...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #29
SD535
Enlisted Member
Rep

NOT!

Enjoyed the weekend and almost put it behind me because this 5 is so much darn fun...

Engine Malfunction last night ... like a kick in the crotch.

Emailed the GM... He agrees that is enough.

Offering a new car..,coming out of production... should be on boat and here in 3 weeks.

Here is deal:
I have a 535i, Premium 1 & 2, Sport Package and Sport Trans with Shift Paddles. Deep Sea Blue with Oyster/Black Dakota and Dark Wood Trim.

New car is Dark Graphite, Anthracite Trim, is an X-drive and has the Dyamic Handling Package in addition to everything I had before.

If I pay MSRP for X-drive dealer will eat cost of DHP, keep me in loaner until it arrives, and start my lease from scratch for same payment.

Bottom line: New Car, New Lease, Add X-Drive, Add DHP...$2400 out of pocket...

Got this news late today, so not alot of time to digest/negotiate/inquire, so I have not asked about change to residual or other ways this may seem less attractive.

What do y'all think?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #30
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

Personally, i think you shouldn't be out for what you have gone through... Your paying the $2400 for the upgrades, the dealer/BMW NA. should eat all the costs! But all is easier said than done! Sorry....
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #31
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Well, my first thought is "what a nice guy". The dealer. Because it appears that he's the one eating the cost, not BMW (unless there was a time gap between your call to the GM and his offer). But I'm sure that he could get BMW to step up and help out.

That said, do you want the Xdrive thing? If so, is it worth $2400 to you?

If not, or you don't particularly care for the colors, ask them if they will make the same deal for you, but replace the car exactly as it is, colors, options, etc.

Sorry to hear of your continued problems. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

(And I can't help but read that service receipt and wonder just how much all of that crap would cost if the car was out of warranty).
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #32
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

My opinion is how much effort your dealer has given you during the whole ordeal and have you been treated fairly by them. At the end, if you are satisfied they have done their best, then I believe you should give your dealer a chance to work out the new deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #33
SD535
Enlisted Member
Rep

"... Do I want the x-drive thingy?"

I didn't get snow tire package yet, which runs around $1500. Would be needed since we have gotten 60 inches this year. Just haven't had my car during it...

Depending on what my final price for this x-drive "upgrade" will be... Factor in the 1500 i would need to spend anyway and maybe not such a bad deal, along with $2700 DHP for "free".

Anyone think the X option significantly detracts from the drive vs. Rear Wheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #34
acsoup123
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi

xDrive does not detract from the drive, while the default is 60rear/40front power split, they have improved xDrive so that it allows torque distribution to move up to 90% power to rears in hard acceleration (assuming not driving in snowy, wet conditions), and vise versa move up to 90% power to the front if traction is lost from rear tires.

While the purists will point out snow tires help RWD, it still isn't as sure footed in bad weather as xDrive (especially xDrive WITH snow tires). You'll loose 1 MPG average, but if you live somewhere that gets a lot of crap weather, like we do here in Chicago, xDrive is a must!

PS, sorry to read about all your troubles, glad to hear BMW seems to be trying to make things right. As far as price difference, IMO you should only pay the difference in INVOICE not MSRP between xdrive and non-xdrive, seeing as your original car didn't have it, the DHP should def be free for your trouble, easy to find invoice diff on an Edmunds.com.

You will fall in love all over again when you get your new non-lemon 5'er!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #35
SD535
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the renewed hope ac....
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #36
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

My understanding is that xDrive cars are very much in demand, particularly the sixes, so what they're giving you they could surely sell easily to someone else. If it's not what you want, I'd hold out for a RWD replacement. But I'm also a bit prejudiced against AWD. That's just me.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #37
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Living in the Northeast, I'd go for xDrive if I had concerns about weather and so forth.

But don't necessarily forecast the next 2-3 years (winters) based on this winter. My experience is that you'll get one bad one then one or two mild ones.

However, after also having Audis with quattro, it works great in summer rain, too...

Is that worth $2400? Not sure...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #38
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD535 View Post
"... Do I want the x-drive thingy?"

I didn't get snow tire package yet, which runs around $1500. Would be needed since we have gotten 60 inches this year. Just haven't had my car during it...

Depending on what my final price for this x-drive "upgrade" will be... Factor in the 1500 i would need to spend anyway and maybe not such a bad deal, along with $2700 DHP for "free".

Anyone think the X option significantly detracts from the drive vs. Rear Wheel?
Pearsonally, I think you are getting a reasonable deal, considering you are getting upgrades to what you originally ordered, even more so with DHP, and the dealer will keep you in a car during the wait. Considering the possibility that they could have asked to go another round of fixing your car................ is a good solution they offered. Hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #39
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
It's the price you pay for performance. Its not as bad as a Ferrari, but not as reliable as a Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #40
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman75 View Post
It's the price you pay for performance. Its not as bad as a Ferrari, but not as reliable as a Lexus.
Having owned three Lexus and five BMW's I beg to differ, the Lexus is way below the BMW IMO. The Lexus being a real old man's sponge.
      01-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #41
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Having owned three Lexus and five BMW's I beg to differ, the Lexus is way below the BMW IMO. The Lexus being a real old man's sponge.
Lexus has its own problems, it is not a reliable car any more. Lexus
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #42
98BMW540
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i Sport

I am having similar problems. Car has been in service for 21 days and counting. I purchased used 2011 550i Sport with 5600 miles from an independent dealer. During 800 mile drive back to MN, Engine Control light came on. Brought immediately to dealer. They 'fixed' that problem, but a host of other engine malfunction lights started to appear as well as engine stalling before I took delivery. So far they have replaced spark plug, fuel injector, DME unit, alternator and oil level sensor. Car still stalling and they have said they will need to keep the car for at least another week. The regional BMW field engineer was brought in after 3-4 days, but they appear to be just doing trial and error method for troubleshooting. SA tells me they are awaiting a 'software update' from Germany and that they have a number of 7 series cars with similar issues.

To the dealer's credit they do not want to release the car until they have a definitive solution and have provided a reasonable loaner (2011 535 GT).

I have formally logged a request for buyback with BMW NA. Given I purchased used, does that have an impact on whether I will be offered a buyback or the quality of offer I may receive? I am keenly aware I am approaching the criteria for lemon law in my state. Any advice from this community would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #43
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BMW540 View Post
I am having similar problems. Car has been in service for 21 days and counting. I purchased used 2011 550i Sport with 5600 miles from an independent dealer. During 800 mile drive back to MN, Engine Control light came on. Brought immediately to dealer. They 'fixed' that problem, but a host of other engine malfunction lights started to appear as well as engine stalling before I took delivery. So far they have replaced spark plug, fuel injector, DME unit, alternator and oil level sensor. Car still stalling and they have said they will need to keep the car for at least another week. The regional BMW field engineer was brought in after 3-4 days, but they appear to be just doing trial and error method for troubleshooting. SA tells me they are awaiting a 'software update' from Germany and that they have a number of 7 series cars with similar issues.

To the dealer's credit they do not want to release the car until they have a definitive solution and have provided a reasonable loaner (2011 535 GT).

I have formally logged a request for buyback with BMW NA. Given I purchased used, does that have an impact on whether I will be offered a buyback or the quality of offer I may receive? I am keenly aware I am approaching the criteria for lemon law in my state. Any advice from this community would be much appreciated.
I am really sick for you, this just should not happen, this is not a brand new engine concept so the engine should be well and truly sorted. Good luck with it, I wonder how good your dealership is with respect to this engine?.
      02-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #44
98BMW540
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i Sport

Not sure of my specific dealer's level of expertise with this engine. At this point, it is clear they are 'dead in the water' and waiting on guidance from Germany. Appearently, the regional field engineer is on vacation this week and my dealer is working directly with Germany (they are likely just waiting for the this guy to come back).

I am assuming this will never really get resolved and eventually they will do some type of buyback (either due to me pursuing lemon law once I reach criteria or they will give up). I realize it may take awhile. Major bummer, as I was pretty excited to be in a near new F10 550 sport @ around $20k under MSRP. Unless they can get it fixed, it was obviously not so great of a deal. On the more positive side, I have only had to make a single trip to the dealer
Appreciate 0