2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum RWD Models with EPAS and xDrive with Hydraulic steering

02-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

RWD Models with EPAS and xDrive with Hydraulic steering

Since the magazines still have not tested a 535xi or a 550xi F10 model, for those of you who have driven both the RWD and the xDrive F10 5-series, could you chime in and provide us your feed back on the steering feels between each other.

Am wondering if the xDrive model steering feels more like the traditional BMW steering feel.

Thanks.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
kickdown
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dA

Yes its exactly the same as the E60 Xdrive. In Europe here, you can't order the self parking system with the XDrive models, since it need and electric power steering
Bulgarian Forum: You ask a question...5 people starts explaining you how dumb you are, for asking such a stupid question!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

The xdrive steering is heavier weighed and has better on center feel than the RWD with electric steering. The xdrive retains the BMW steering feel like the older E60 which is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW X5

Agree that x drive feels more planted. Opinion is from test driving both models.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
radarguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440ix, 2023 X3 M40ix

I have driven both and they both respond to steering wheel inputs the same. However, the hydraulic requires slightly more effort and feels more like my E39 hydraulic PS. The difference isn't that great between EPS and HPS. It's a question of what appeals to you and I think either one is more than acceptable and after driving it for a few hundred miles I doubt if you will think about it.

I drove a number of EPS models between June and October and then the hydraulic one in October. My first reaction was they were different and slightly preferred the hydraulic. After the hydraulic test drive was over I decided it really didn't matter. Since I wanted an X-drive, I didn't have a choice.

As a previous poster indicated, the X-drive feels more planted on the road even on dry pavement and certainly on wet pavement, both of which I tested it on. That attribute is most likely due to AWD rather than the steering mechanization.
Appreciate 0