2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Left land bandit bagged!

06-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #45
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If we go by the law word for word, you are not suppose to be on the left lane at all, left lane is the passing lane, you are suppose to pass a slower car on the right lane and then get back on the right lane afterward.
The situation I am talking about is when there is a line of cars in the left lane all going about 10 to 15 MPH above the speed limit. Some A hole decided that he wants to go faster somehow and tailgates me. Am I suppose to move over to the right lane and let him go 10 feet in front of me in the line of car and then I can get back on the left lane after that drive behind him?
You are right, The X Men. If the highway has heavy traffic (e.g., ring roads around major cities), then all lanes are traffic lanes. In normal, flowing traffic, then the left lane is the passing lane and should be kept empty whenever possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #46
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft View Post
Wohaa what a statement !
In Norway the rule is 3 seconds, and the reason is to make sure you don't collide with the car in front of you, if he needs to panic breake.
Really simple really, why do you want to push this few seconds?
Will you arrive 2 seconds earlier at destination :-)

Have a look here http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/reactiontime.html
So in verry best case, you will have 0,3 seconds to not hit the car infront of you if they panic breake, again why is this important ?
I should have said that I never stay too long one second behind another car. Normally I decide to overtake that car so that I keep more space in front of me.

I guess it is a matter of adjusting to your country's road/weather conditions. I would never leave only 1 second in front of me in rainy/foggy weather, much less so in snowy/icy roads. That would be crazy. Maybe that's why in Norway you have the 3 seconds rule and in Portugal we're not even trained with that rule (and Portugal has one of the lowest accident rates in Europe/Western World).
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #47
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
Portugal has one of the lowest accident rates in Europe/Western World).
The accident rate in Portugal is amazingly low, can you shed some light on how Portugal is able to keep the accident rate so low?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #48
Soft
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A7 3.0 TSFI

And even so, Norway have half of the number of fatalities of Portugal pr. 100.000 cars!, and we have actual snow as well :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #49
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

The left lane is a passing lane, not a "high-speed" or "above the speed limit" lane.

In light traffic conditions, do not drive in the left lane unless your are passing somebody. In heavy traffic conditions, it's just a lane, that hopefully is moving faster. But if it isn't moving faster, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it. No reason to tailgate somebody.

What actual speed you choose to go is between you and the police.
      06-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #50
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The accident rate in Portugal is amazingly low, can you shed some light on how Portugal is able to keep the accident rate so low?
We have a very low rate nowadays but a few years ago we were at the other end of the spectrum. Our recent progress has been staggering and the reasons are fourfold:
- Police crackdown on reckless driving, speeding, DUI, etc., as well as a strong increase in penalty amounts,
- Improvements in road conditions (now we have too many roads we don't need and the money could/should have been used elsewhere),
- Improvement in the car conditions (government incentives to renew cars),
- Very effective training/awareness campaigns in schools and media.

However, we still have a very long road ahead of us and my expat experience in Germany has definitely shown how we still need to improve in Portugal:
- we only stop in STOP signs if there is someone coming on intersections, if no one is coming we don't stop fully (as we normally do with YIELD signs),
- we still overspeed too much in highways, especially in areas with roadworks,
- there is still a lot of road rage between drivers (must be a southern europe kind of thing),
- we park our cars everywhere and all over the place. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #51
MississippiBlue
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 mystic/terra/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
If someone is coming up faster than you, get out of the way. It doesn't matter how fast YOU are going.
Passing on the right is illegal, if you are in the way and in the left lane (especially the farthest most left), you need to GTFO of the way.
If we go by the law word for word, you are not suppose to be on the left lane at all, left lane is the passing lane, you are suppose to pass a slower car on the right lane and then get back on the right lane afterward.
The situation I am talking about is when there is a line of cars in the left lane all going about 10 to 15 MPH above the speed limit. Some A hole decided that he wants to go faster somehow and tailgates me. Am I suppose to move over to the right lane and let him go 10 feet in front of me in the line of car and then I can get back on the left lane after that drive behind him?
Yes, that is what you are supposed to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #52
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

Florida is worse, especially north Florida. The problem is 70 mph zone, 16-18 year old girl on the phone driving 65 in the left lane beside a semi on I-75. Or better yet, try driving in Gainesville, FL, everyone drives in the left lane below the speed limit.

I was always taught, slower traffic keep right. Do they have driver's ed in school anymore?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #53
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
I was always taught, slower traffic keep right. Do they have driver's ed in school anymore?
I think driver re-education should be require in the US, its way too easy to get a license and hold onto one.
Appreciate 0