2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Programming the universal remote control - struggling!

06-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
AP
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Programming the universal remote control - struggling!

All,
wondering if any of you can throw any light on this.
have the universal remote control option on my car.
Curretnly use a key fob to open gates and was hoping the universal remote control might work - (specced it in the hope it would)

Bought a spare fob and got that programmed today so I know the procedure.
The key fob is a Mitto and to program a new fob you press both buttons on the original working fob, then the button that actually opens the gate.
then on the new fob, you press the two buttons and then the button you would use to open the gate. Wait 20 seconds and then hey presto it works.
The box for the gates has no buttons , you don't need to do anything with it physically.

now how do I program the car one?

I've pressed button 1 and 3 at the same time for 20 seconds and that clears out any thing it has memorised.

The manual states to hold button 1(2 or 3) whilst pressing the button of a working remote. But it seems I have to put the gate box into a learning mode.
I'm guessing I have got the car to clone the key fob but the difficulty is getting te gate to learn about it.

Anyone have any ideas , does this sound simialr to any systems you have used?

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
All,
wondering if any of you can throw any light on this.
have the universal remote control option on my car.
Curretnly use a key fob to open gates and was hoping the universal remote control might work - (specced it in the hope it would)

Bought a spare fob and got that programmed today so I know the procedure.
The key fob is a Mitto and to program a new fob you press both buttons on the original working fob, then the button that actually opens the gate.
then on the new fob, you press the two buttons and then the button you would use to open the gate. Wait 20 seconds and then hey presto it works.
The box for the gates has no buttons , you don't need to do anything with it physically.

now how do I program the car one?

I've pressed button 1 and 3 at the same time for 20 seconds and that clears out any thing it has memorised.

The manual states to hold button 1(2 or 3) whilst pressing the button of a working remote. But it seems I have to put the gate box into a learning mode.
I'm guessing I have got the car to clone the key fob but the difficulty is getting te gate to learn about it.

Anyone have any ideas , does this sound simialr to any systems you have used?

thanks in advance
I just went through the same thing and may/may not be able to help. I programmed two devices; garage door opener (rolling code) and community gate opener (non-rolling code). The garage door opener programming went as exactly as stated in the manual, no problems, programmed button 1. The gate opener was a problem. I tried buttons 2 and 3 with no luck following the instructions in the manual. I did some internet searches and the following worked. Pressed and held the 2 button for about 3 seconds before pressing the gate opener, then pressed the gate opener and pretty much instantly got a quick flash from the light on the mirror indicating a successful program. The difference from the manual was I pressed the mirror button a few seconds before pressing the gate opener as opposed to depressing them both concurrently. Not sure if that was the reason but it worked. I had tried it the other way probably ten times and it would not work. This process worked the first time.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
AP
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

thanks, I'll try that although i think i may have done already.
I think the issue with mine is that you have to tell teh gate box it needs to go into learning mode. and I don't think the universal remote has that function, it effectively only has 1 key (2 and and 3 are just for different systems depending upon which one you want to program)

Anyone else, any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
I just did this takes about a minute:

Homelink System Installation

1. Park either inside the garage or have your car parked on driveway facing the garage as close as possible.

2. Press and hold the first and third button of the homelink buttons for approximately 20 seconds, until the red light starts blinking rapidly.

3. Press the button (1,2, or 3) you desire to have installed and hold it. The red light will be blinking slowly.

4. With the garage opener remote near the rear view mirror (1~4 inches near), press and hold the remote button while you are still holding the desired button on your homelink system. The red light will eventually blink rapidly. If so, release both buttons.

5. Next, go to the garage opener’s main console (it’s most likely the garage opener’s motor with the light turned on when opened/closed)

6. Search for a button that reads “learn”, “read”, or a noticeable button on your console. There aren’t a lot of buttons on that console, so you’ll most likely find it.

7. Press the button, and a light adjacent to the button will flash/blink. You have a 30 second window to finalize the installation.

8. Go back in the car, press and hold that button you desired to have installed and the light will blink rapidly for like 2 seconds and stop blinking (light will be on). Release the button and press/hold again. Repeat this two more times (A total of THREE times) and voila! The garage door will open/close!

Troubleshooting:

If you are stuck on number 4, try putting the garage opener remote near the 3 homelink buttons (1~4 inches). Try different angles of the remote if still does not work.

If you are stuck on number 6, where you can’t find ANY button on your console, you might have to open up the console and it will be there. I have a Genie brand garage opener and couldn’t find a button, so I gently spread open slightly between the light bulb cover and the console. Then the button was visible! So I got a flat-head screw driver, pressed the button and the light right next to it started flashing.

*I would recommend two people in installing this, so one person can be ready to press the “learn” button on the garage opener console and one working inside the car*