2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Internet over bluetooth with Galaxy S3?

04-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
gxprice
Portugal
Rep
Drives: G31 520d Touring

Internet over bluetooth with Galaxy S3?

Folks,

Okay, after hours of searching, don't have the answer so here goes

In my (3 day old) 530XD Touring I have my Blackberry (work phone) configured and working well in the car (contacts, messaging, phone etc. etc.).
I've also paired my Galaxy S3 to act as a Data provider for the Internet (this is not available or disabled on my BB).

When paired and in the "bluetooth" config screen in the car, it's set a 2nd phone and the internet symbol (world) is lit. However, I cannot get the internet function to come up with anything apart from message that the network is unavailable please try later. It doesn't seem to be country related as no such message comes up ...

I'm going to try unpairing / deleting the device later just to see if re-pairing might resolve it.

However, has anyone paired an S3 through the car and accessed the internet? What settings on the phone have you used? I've tried with "bluetooth tethering" set and not set; no difference. Data is enabled and I'm not roaming... Anything else obvious I'm missing?

Thanks for any advice - frustrating!

As an aside, for those waiting for Internet-in-Motion, I believe this may not be long in coming (DVDinMotion) so, for me at least, it would be good to get the internet thing working :

Gary.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
qadhi79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 LCI (Space Gray)

I have been through this..tested a lot of settings but figured that GS3 cannot be used for Internet over bluetooth

I tried this with i Phone and the car picked up data connection instantly

Now I am waiting for a fix from BMW..meanwhile I will be testing this again when my Galaxy S4 arrives in few days
      04-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
gxprice
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qadhi79 View Post
I have been through this..tested a lot of settings but figured that GS3 cannot be used for Internet over bluetooth

I tried this with i Phone and the car picked up data connection instantly

Now I am waiting for a fix from BMW..meanwhile I will be testing this again when my Galaxy S4 arrives in few days
Thanks for the rapid response - I'll hold off buying an S4 until I hear something positive from somewhere - perhaps when you get yours, you could post back to this thread? I (at least, but possibly others) would appreciate it I really don't want to go back to iphone if I can avoid it ...

Best,

Gary.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
MikeGr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535d f10

I'm having the same issue on a new 535d (f10). First it showed exactly the same things and messages as yours, it said that it couldn't connect. Then i went to the dealer and they installed some kind of software that managed to make the browser page appear with the controls on the left.... but.... i can't get it to load any page. another thing, they said that the feature on the phone where you set it as an mobile internet access point as to be enabled.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
qadhi79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 LCI (Space Gray)

I got my hands on S4 today and unfortunately, internet is still not working with iDrive :/
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
gxprice
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGr View Post
I'm having the same issue on a new 535d (f10). First it showed exactly the same things and messages as yours, it said that it couldn't connect. Then i went to the dealer and they installed some kind of software that managed to make the browser page appear with the controls on the left.... but.... i can't get it to load any page. another thing, they said that the feature on the phone where you set it as an mobile internet access point as to be enabled.
I've got to the point where I can see a blank (white) screen with the controls on the left and can hit "refresh", "home" etc. but ultimately, it comes up with a message stating there is no data connection or some such. Bummer ...

For the phone feature, I've enabled bluetooth tethering (i.e. allow the phone to share it's data connection with other devices) but also no joy.

As gadhi79 says, it probably just won't ever work with the Galaxy phones (especially after he's now tried the S4)

Noticed you're in Portugal, I'll be driving down there in July in the new car - it'll be great fun (albeit 18 hours at the wheel with one stop over) I'd really like to have my DVDinMotion and InternetinMotion coded by then (especially the latter if I can find a phone to work!).

Gary.

PS Interestingly - it'll work to the extent that the BMW Live service will show me the weather ... apparently, I can do news feeds (RSS) also but haven't tried this yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e MSport

I understand that BMW will be updating BMW Apps for Android phones later this year (June/July) ... until then I believe iPhones are the only choice.
2013 X1 3.5 MSport
1998 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 0