2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535i Xdrive Msport - 2k Review

01-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Salter
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i

535i Xdrive Msport - 2k Review

Note: this is a long post and I suspect that much of it was covered in other personal reviews. I hope it still adds value – especially for those considering buying the car. Feel free to skip the verbiage and go to a couple of attached photos. It's a great looking car.

I received my new 535i Xdrive, loaded with Msport/Dynamic Handling/Technology/Executive packages during the first week of December – about 2 weeks ahead of schedule (see attached photos below). I ordered a car configured to my liking and waited about 2.5 months for delivery. After a month or so of mixed driving conditions and close to 2000km later, I can say without any reservations: this is the best car I’ve ever owned (compared to a lovely ’08 535xi, a fun to drive Inifnity M45, a tunable Audi S4 and an A4 to name a few cars I owned).

I'll repeat what many others said before, this car is very different from its predecessor. My wife is still driving the ’08, so I had a chance to move back and forth between the two: the ’08 feels smaller, nimbler and a bit faster off the line. I can therefore understand why some enthusiasts mourn (moan?) the passing of an era. I liked the e60 for all the right reasons. I even liked its unique and controversial look. That said, I have no desire to go back. In fact, I look forward to driving the new 5 every day. It's planted, solid, luxurious yet tight enough to be a fun car to drive.

For me, the F10/535i has enough sporty features to satisfy the occasional need for some zip and drama. Switching to “Sport” or more rarely “Sport+”, brings out the car's mature but athletic nature. It accelerates harder and becomes stiffer all around. But most of the time I relax, switch to “Normal” or even (wait for it!) “Comfort” – and allow some of Toronto’s rugged roads to be perfectly handled by this car’s active suspension system. Some may call it a compromise, I call it a "balanced" car. Life’s good.

Most favorite aspects:
  1. Dynamic handling: I really like the ability to go from “super soft” to reasonably “hard” settings that affects the throttle, gears as well as damping dynamics. If you like the idea of fiddling with your driving experience in real time this is a fantastic package to have. I constantly switch between parameters using the convenient “rocker” switch. It makes a noticeable difference.
  2. iDrive: Why would anyone list the iDrive, a much maligned feature, as a favorite aspect of this car? Beyond obvious improvements to the user interface, I simply love the control I have over so many parameters and I am at home with the iDrive system as the interface. The size and resolution of the screen is phenomenal (don’t forget to use the excellent split screen control. I have it programmed into one of the memory buttons).
  3. Interior design: The overall feel of the car’s interior is sumptuous yet reserved. Just the way I like it. Center console is well thought out. Leather stitching is a nice touch, and a driver side "glove compartment" is very practical. My two tone Oyster (light cream is more apt description) interior is spectacular. I never owned a light colored interior before – and I’m glad I went for it. Of course it shows dirt more readily – so I’m not sure you should get it if you regularly have kids in the car. I'm a bit more careful and always have a leather cleaner within reach. But coming from the ’08 535xi – this car’s upgraded interior design is a huge improvement.
  4. Surround View: this is a personal favorite. It makes getting in and out of tight parking spots so much faster and easier. I live in a renovated (1860's) Victorian house and my parking spot is very tight. It is accessible from a very narrow lane-way originally designed for horse drawn carriages. But now, I can get out in one continuous drive, and use the forward/sideways cameras to “peak” out into the lane-way, ensuring no other cars are buzzing through.
  5. HUD (Heads Up Display): It’s nice to have the speed showing just below my line of sight, but it’s simply fantastic to have the GPS instructions showing right there in front of you at all times. HUD is now a must have item for future cars.
  6. Saving Profiles to USB drive: I stopped counting the number of times my ’08 535xi came back from service – with all those parameters I worked hard to tune completely reset (seat position, various iDrive parameters like auditory lock/unlock etc.). No more! You can save and retrieve up to 4 profiles to and from a USB drive.
  7. Programmable memory buttons: what would you do without desktop shortcuts on your computer? This is exactly the point and a critical extension of the iDrive system. And it works brilliantly. iDrive functions, phone numbers, radio stations – all could be saved and accessed using 9 programmable push buttons. Invaluable.
  8. GPS: I was surprised how well the GPS works in this car. My previous experience (e.g. Infinity M45) was dismal. But when combined with the HUD, voice commands (to enter address - it works 80% of the time), a huge screen, and the ability to send locations from my PC using Google Maps – this is the best car based GPS I’ve used to date.
  9. Msport package: Looks great (a personal preference). I’m glad BMW did not wait too long to offer this as well as the xDrive options. Perfect timing for me.
  10. Dealership: not usually on the list of “likes” – this was a nice part of my car ownership experience. David Chu my CA from BMW Toronto is a delight to deal with. To date, dealing with the service department was also very good. I contrast this with my awful experience of Infinity ownership – and this makes for a major difference.
  11. A few other items to add: iPhone and iPod integration. Quality of professional sound system. Mechanical trunk lid open/close. Very smooth transmission. Quiet (and for now) without annoying rattles.
A few tips to share with all:
  1. Turn off dynamic-handling parameter change messages on iDrive screen – your passenger does not need to know that you just switched to Sport+, but it will still show up on your instrument cluster.
    How: Go to iDrive --> Settings --> Control Display --> and un-check the "Display driving settings" option
  2. Save your profile to USB Drive
    How: go to iDrive --> Settings --> Profiles --> Export Profile (make sure a USB drive is connected to the USB interface in your glove department). Note: once you export and save a profile, you’ll be prompted to accept this profile every time you start the car. If this annoys you, you can disable this feature: go to iDrive --> Settings --> Profiles --> Options --> and un-check "Display user list at startup"
  3. Save iDrive functions to Programmable memory buttons
    How: 1) Highlight the function via the iDrive (or a phone number) 2) Press the desired button for more than 2 seconds
  4. Winter tires: In this part of the continent - snow tires are a must - even with Xdrive. If you love the original wheels and can't find a reasonably priced alternative that looks good enough, you should consider "dressing them up" with winter tires. I calculated that taking the tires on/off will not be more expensive over the life of my lease - compared to a reasonable wheel/tires package, and the tires wear/tear issue for this length of time (based on experience with 2 other cars) is a minor risk. I ended up with a 19” Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 XL (none RFTs) on the original 19" Msport wheels that I like so much. I had no issues driving in snow conditions in the past month or so. I will probably sell my (never used) RFT/all seasons and get proper summer tires.
The “Flies in the ointment” and “regrets” department:
The F10 is not perfect of course. So here’s my list:
  1. “lurch” in slow speeds: this is by far the biggest problem I’m facing and one I’m still trying to figure out. It’s quite annoying and only goes away after about 20-25 minutes of driving. When reaching about 8/KMh the car “jolts”. A BMW mechanic says it’s an Xdrive specific torque transfer behavior and it’s “normal”. I’ve not yet given up on it. I don’t think it’s “normal” – even if it’s BMW’s formal position.
  2. Whistleblower: the ventilation unit tends to emit a soft whistle sound. The only way to counter this one is with some good music. Oh well.
  3. iPhone app/BMW connected - not yet available in NA: I just want it for its Google maps integration with the car’s GPS. Sometimes it’s much easier to find things using my iPhone’s Google maps while in the car, and the BMW app is supposed to do so. Alas, it’s not yet available here. But there’s still some hope.
  4. Instrument cluster electronic display: the electronic display portion is not completely black and shows as a murky grey rectangle during night driving. I hear that this will be eliminated starting March production. Otherwise I like what’s shown in the cluster, including the contextual info controlled by the steering wheel’s thumbwheel. It’s simply not as slick as the GT – or so I hear.
  5. Multi contour seats side support: love the seats, but I’ll add my voice to the choir: why did BMW take the side bolsters away!? I had those in the ’08 and loved them. This virtual hug from the car seats is now gone.
  6. Regrets: The only minor regret is not getting the “Active Cruise Control”. Unfortunately it wasn’t an option with the 535i here in Canada. But I should have paid the special fee (BMW's marketing folks take note). I would have liked to benefit from the collision warning (a great safety feature) and stop/go traffic control.

Photos taken on a rare snow free day here in Toronto
Attached Images

Last edited by Salter; 01-08-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
hockeyfan11
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

That's a great review and an awsome looking vehcile

currently in the market..just starting doing some research is adaptive drive the same as dynamic handling....

Did you drive the 550 xi? and if so how did the two compare

Did you go with the xi vs the i simply because of climate

I would imagine that the xi adds weight to the vehicle don't know how much difference it would make in performance....

I guess for those who enjoy the drifting would opt for the i

your thoughts are appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
blackhawk_pilot2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011, BMW 535i

Driver side glove compartment?????
Now I have to go out and look for this. Can't say I've seen it this whole month I've own the car. Yet again the pulling to the right takes my attention from all else in this thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
tallshorty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

Great review! Sorry to hear about the lurching problem. You got all the bells and whistles with your car. I too Amy very dissappointed that in Canada we cant get the active cruise control in the 535.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
Salter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan11 View Post
That's a great review and an awsome looking vehcile

currently in the market..just starting doing some research is adaptive drive the same as dynamic handling....

Did you drive the 550 xi? and if so how did the two compare

Did you go with the xi vs the i simply because of climate

I would imagine that the xi adds weight to the vehicle don't know how much difference it would make in performance....

I guess for those who enjoy the drifting would opt for the i

your thoughts are appreciated
Hi hockeyfan11 - here's some feedback:
  • I did not drive the 550xi. More about it below.
  • The Xdrive was primarily a weather related choice. I think that the weight difference is relatively small as compared to the standard RWD. If anything - the AWD should provide better traction etc.
    It was a well regarded feature with the old 535. But I'm yet to come across a professional review of an F10 with an Xdrive or a head to head performance comparison .

It is a good idea to take the 550 for a test drive - if you are considering a substantial amount of additional power. I must say, it's a very tempting option and it was on my mind when I finalized the car's configuration. I decided to go for known performance parameters which I considered adequate for my driving habits (most of my driving is in the city - I live and work downtown). When I get out of the city, I rarely go over 130kmh on highways, and as you know, one can enjoy rural side roads, pushing the car here and there, without 400hp under the bonnet. The added cost (it's about 7-8k premium here in Canada), knowing that I'll rarely use it, and some satisfaction that the 535 is slightly more environmentally responsible - determined my personal decision.

Good luck and I hope you'll enjoy the car - whatever the engine size.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Salter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk_pilot2000 View Post
Driver side glove compartment?????
Now I have to go out and look for this. Can't say I've seen it this whole month I've own the car. Yet again the pulling to the right takes my attention from all else in this thing.
I must admit, it took a week and a chance look at the user manual before I noticed it myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
hockeyfan11
Rep

Thanks Salter...I'm also in the Toronto area...and ironically I spoke to BMW Toronto yesterday.....u r correct in saying they do provide very good customer service

Is adaptive drive and dynamic handling one in the same...and what is sport+

I appreciate ur speedy response
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Nice review, the comfort seats which I have ordered (UK) do HAVE side bolster adjustment.
      01-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Salter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan11 View Post

Is adaptive drive and dynamic handling one in the same...and what is sport+

I appreciate ur speedy response
It's part of the Dynamic Handling Package which includes:
  • Adaptive Drive (active dampers with active anti roll bars)
  • Dynamic Damper Control (control over the suspension behavior)
  • Dynamic Drive (active stabilizers).
Sport+ is one of the parameters you can choose, and depending on how you set it up, it will stiffen the suspension system, enable a more responsive throttle as well as gear changes at higher revs. It also removes most of the "nanny" features (e.g. DSC).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
hockeyfan11
Rep

Great tks for the indepth response
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #11
vortexx
Rep
Drives: 550i M-Sport ED ordered

Nicely done! This is a great review. My perspectives are very similar, although we have slightly different vehicles - I have a RWD 550i. Your car is beautiful, carbon black looks stunning on this vehicle. I had carbon black on my 2008 E60 and almost got it again.

You inspired me to write a review of my vehicle. I posted a review of my vehicle on bimmerfest and followed your format. In many respects our perspectives are similar. I will link back to it on this site.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Salter,

Great review. I didn't give much thought to saving my profile untill after reading your hints. In thinking about all the various aspects of what a person programs over the course of days/weeks/months, this is probably something I need to do ASAP. I thought most items would be saved to the key, even if they are, it will be good to have a backup, thanks again.

On the "Lurching" issue. I as well as many others have the same issue. Trust me, this has nothing to do with your X drive and is obviosuly your Transmission / Throttle Management. I suspect that what we are seeing is the result of trying to get the proper balance of having an 8 speed Tranny along with the desire to have the best gas mileage. This results with short shifting, keeping the revs low down at the beginiing of the torque curve of the engine. This can be fixed through a software change, and am hopefull BMW is indeed working on an update. I am going to write an e-mail as others have done just to add to the number of voices making note of this issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Salter,

Forgot to ask. How much memory is needed to save a profile? I would think that a 2GB USB stick would be way more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #14
Gorillamunch
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xiT

Hi Salter are your rims stagerred?

I'm looking at a 550i xdrive and can't see anything confirming this?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #15
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

^^ Msport package in Canada does NOT have staggered setup. Only European version does.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
Salter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Salter,

Forgot to ask. How much memory is needed to save a profile? I would think that a 2GB USB stick would be way more than enough.
I'm so sorry for the tardy reply. I was off the board taking care of business. Thanks for your feedback. And you're right, BMW has determined it's a transmission problem. They are replacing the "Mechatronic Valve" (waiting for the part), and if this will not do the trick, will probably replace the transmission.

Back to the profile: I assume that by now you've done it. But just in case, here's some info. A folder called "BMWData" is created on the drive, into which a profile named file (with the .mpd extension) is saved. Total size: 6kb. Not surprisingly - it's tiny. So you could save 10's of thousands of profiles to your stick!

Last edited by Salter; 02-08-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Hey Salter,

Sorry to hear your issue. Hope they fix it right this time.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Salter, Could you please provide us with input on how the steering feels? comparied to the 08 535xi you had. Is the steering heavier, lighter, more or less feel? And if you have driven the new F10 RWD model with Electric Power steering could you compare it to that as well.

Thank you!
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #19
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Salter, thanks for the feedback, its always good to read other owners impressions and thoughts.
      02-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #20
jsf1993
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535 x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Salter,

Great review. I didn't give much thought to saving my profile untill after reading your hints. In thinking about all the various aspects of what a person programs over the course of days/weeks/months, this is probably something I need to do ASAP. I thought most items would be saved to the key, even if they are, it will be good to have a backup, thanks again.

On the "Lurching" issue. I as well as many others have the same issue. Trust me, this has nothing to do with your X drive and is obviosuly your Transmission / Throttle Management. I suspect that what we are seeing is the result of trying to get the proper balance of having an 8 speed Tranny along with the desire to have the best gas mileage. This results with short shifting, keeping the revs low down at the beginiing of the torque curve of the engine. This can be fixed through a software change, and am hopefull BMW is indeed working on an update. I am going to write an e-mail as others have done just to add to the number of voices making note of this issue.
Re the lurching issue, some have suggested that this may have something to do with BMW's adaptive drive. The adaptive drive software "learns" your driving habits and adjusts accordingly. Apparently, the issue that you raised is not new - if it relates to adaptive drive - and a "fix" is pretty simple. It involves resetting the adaptive drive in your car. Here is a link to a thread on this forum that you should review:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455949

Hope this helps both you and the original poster.

I too own a 535xi and couldn't be happier with it. I do not have an issue with "lurching" and, consequently, I have a hard time believing that the issue is related to the x-drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #21
BavarianCraving
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Wow. Thank you so much for the excellent review, Salter. I've been debating for the past couple months whether to go with the M Sport package on the 535i, and now I'm thoroughly convinced. I've been in (LONG) informal negotiations with my associate for a Dark Graphite/Black Dakota with Premium 1, Navigation, rear view camera, park distance, ipod/USB M sport. Stripping off some of the Premium 2 options really dropped the price and made M sport more affordable-sounding to me. My one concern is that I have to go up a very steep driveway, and I was concerned that it would scrape the beautiful but low-lying body kit. Have you had many issues with scratching the underbelly?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #22
schen
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

thanks for the nice detailed review. good job and congratulations for the big toys.
Appreciate 0