2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Bluetooth software update

02-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 LCI 530D Luxury

Bluetooth software update

Hi,

Had my f10 for almost a month now and loving the car. I am due to get a Blackberry 9300 curve phone from the office and when I checked the Bluetooth software compatibility list on the BMW website the 9300 isn't listed under the software version my car has. The car has version TX-002.005.021-002.005 now the new TX-003 version seems to support the 9300 but I can't update the software as it requires the additional USB socket in the armrest to update the software through. Can I request a software update through the dealer when the car goes in for a service? Will I have to pay for this even if the car is still under warranty? Has anyone used a 9300 with this Bluetooth software version?

Thanks,
MalithS
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
rory1968
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D SE

I have a BB 9700 which works fine. You can download update from BMW website onto a memory stick. There should be a USB in the glovebox. Just stick the memory stick in there. Go to I drive and look for software update. I did mine and it took about a minute. To get the most out of your BB you will need to download BBs office app to your phone. This will link your calender/email and texts. You will find the update link on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory1968 View Post
I have a BB 9700 which works fine. You can download update from BMW website onto a memory stick. There should be a USB in the glovebox. Just stick the memory stick in there. Go to I drive and look for software update. I did mine and it took about a minute. To get the most out of your BB you will need to download BBs office app to your phone. This will link your calender/email and texts. You will find the update link on this forum.
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression the updates needed the additional USB in the armrest. I will try this out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Your car has a Combox, but does not have 6FL USB/AUX port in the armrest? I didn't think that was possible.

Unfortunately, the Combox update can only be done by the dealer ISTA/P or though the 6FL USB port. It cannot be done through the glovebox USB port.

Also, even with 6FL USB port updates, if the vehicle software ISTA version is too old, the Combox won't update all the way. My car was at ISTA 40.x and my Combox was at 2.5.21, and when I ran the UPD01004.bin update, it upgraded my TX to only 2.6.4, and not the latest TX 3.5.4. It wasn't easy, but I got my dealer to upgrade me vehicle to ISTA 45.x, and that moved my Combox to version TX 3.4.31. Afterwards, I reran the UPD01004.bin update again, and then it went all the way to the latest TX version 3.5.4.

That said, your new 9300 curve will likely work with your current telematics version TX 2.5.21, even if not specifically listed by BMW as a Bluetooth compatible phone.

To stream Bluetooth Audio from the phone, it needs to support Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) and if you want the integrated office functionality it will also need to support Message Access Profile (MAP). I am not aware of any BB Office App. I know I don't have it on my Torch 9850, just Bluetooth MAP, and I have Office working on my CIC.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Your car has a Combox, but does not have 6FL USB/AUX port in the armrest? I didn't think that was possible.

Unfortunately, the Combox update can only be done by the dealer ISTA/P or though the 6FL USB port. It cannot be done through the glovebox USB port.

Also, even with 6FL USB port updates, if the vehicle software ISTA version is too old, the Combox won't update all the way. My car was at ISTA 40.x and my Combox was at 2.5.21, and when I ran the UPD01004.bin update, it upgraded my TX to only 2.6.4, and not the latest TX 3.5.4. It wasn't easy, but I got my dealer to upgrade me vehicle to ISTA 45.x, and that moved my Combox to version TX 3.4.31. Afterwards, I reran the UPD01004.bin update again, and then it went all the way to the latest TX version 3.5.4.

That said, your new 9300 curve will likely work with your current telematics version TX 2.5.21, even if not specifically listed by BMW as a Bluetooth compatible phone.

To stream Bluetooth Audio from the phone, it needs to support Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) and if you want the integrated office functionality it will also need to support Message Access Profile (MAP). I am not aware of any BB Office App. I know I don't have it on my Torch 9850, just Bluetooth MAP, and I have Office working on my CIC.
Yes my car has the combos (sep 10) build but does not have 6FL, I think this only became standard in the uk after march 2011 onwards and I happen to buy a used car which didn't have the 6FL option . I guess I will have to just try the phone when I get it and see if it works. I really want the office features to work with the car and bb 9300. If I have to ask the dealer to update the software I have a feeling that he will ask me to pay which I think is a bit unfair as the car really should get the updates while its under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalithS View Post
Yes my car has the combos (sep 10) build but does not have 6FL, I think this only became standard in the uk after march 2011 onwards and I happen to buy a used car which didn't have the 6FL option . I guess I will have to just try the phone when I get it and see if it works. I really want the office features to work with the car and bb 9300. If I have to ask the dealer to update the software I have a feeling that he will ask me to pay which I think is a bit unfair as the car really should get the updates while its under warranty.
It is mind boggling that 6FL was not standard on every Combox equipped vehicle considering one benefit highly touted of the Combox is the ability to display Album Art; however, that only works through the 6FL port. Music copied from the glovebox USB port onto the Hard Drive will not display Album Art.

I know it is too late as you already purchased this vehicle, however, I would have negotiated at the time of purchase a 6FL Retrofit, a full Vehicle ISTA software update, and the latest 2012 Navigation maps.

There exists though an OEM 6FL Retrofit offered by BMW that your dealer should be able to install, which if you have done, you can probably negotiate as part of it, a full vehicle ISTA update since they would have to add 6FL to the Vehicle Order and code the Combox and CIC anyway:

http://accessories.bmw.com/internet_...&absoluteNav=1

Short of that, it will likely be difficult to convince the Dealer to do the ISTA update. Here is BMW's official position on Software Update Programming:

"There are constant improvements and enhancements to BMW products that are included with each new software release. However, it is not BMW's policy to automatically update vehicles with new software as it becomes available. This practice is time consuming, costly, and may change the functionality of one or more systems; in most cases, it offers no tangible benefit to the customer.

In situations where BMW identifies specific product issues, the fixes are integrated into the diagnostic test plans, and/or are announced via an SIB. If the applicable test plans have been completed, and the SIBs reviewed in TIS did not identify any fixes related to a software update, there is no reason to believe that the latest version of vehicle software will correct a customer's concern.
"

Thus, you will need to come up with a compelling reason for them to do it under warranty.

Another, and perhaps better option for an ISTA Update & 6FL Retrofit is Bimmer-Tech, and they can also include 6NR ConnectDrive and BMW Live as well:

info@bimmer-tech.net
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/

If you are interested in the 2012 Navigation map software, which in the U.S. is $380 from the dealer, you can do it yourself by buying the DVD's and the FSC Code for around $100 net.

Here is the good news though. The Curve 9300 supports both Bluetooth A2DP and MAP, so you should be able to get music streaming and the office functionality:

"Bluetooth

Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR with support for the following profiles: Headset Profile (HSP), Handset Profile (HFP), Address Book Integration using AT commands, Address Book Integration using OBEX (Object Push), Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP), Dial-Up Networking (DUN), Bluetooth Stereo (A2DP / AVRCP), Serial Port Profile (SPP), Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), A/V Remote Control Version 1.3, Message Access Profile (MAP)
"

http://worldwide.blackberry.com/blac...ifications.jsp

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0