2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications JB Stage 1- Install notes and review

12-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
ATXF10M5
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

JB Stage 1- Install notes and review

Hi Folks,

I picked up my 535i about two weeks ago, and went ahead and did my first mod. I don't know that I've ever owned a stock car...the bug just keeps getting me. Below is a breakdown of my thoughts on the install and results of my JB Stage 1.

Car-
2013 BMW 535i M Sport w/ Auto

Why I went with JB Stage 1-
I've always known the BMW's turbo motors respond well to tuning, so when I needed a 4 door car, this is the direction I went. We'll save the debate of 3 or 5 series, or 535 vs 550 for another thread...but lets just say I chose the 535 knowing full well I'd want to add more power to it.

-It's a CPO, and I'd like to keep my warranty. The JB (as most tuners) is easy to remove.

-Citing warranty again; I don't intend on replacing the downpipe, which eliminates the need for Stage 2 or JB4. I realize the downpipes effect on warranty might be debatable to some, but if something bad did happen to my engine, thats a bit too far for me to want to have to worry about with the dealer.

-The JB4 will let you build a custom map; however, I really don't feel like messing with it and tweaking things. I have a toy car, and this isn't it. I liked the idea of getting more power in a plug and play manner.

-I was very tempted to give the bench tune via GSR Technik a try, but in the end opted to not mess with pulling the ECU to send to them and have returned. Part of me will still be curious now, but I'm just going to have to suck it up.

The Install-
If 10 of 10 is super simple, I'd give this a 9 of 10. The instructions (even the updated ones) aren't broken down to be super simple, but if you've tinkered around under the hood of a car before you'll figure it out pretty quick.

-I purchased a refurbished unit from Bavauto. In doing so, it came with what I understand to be an older set of instructions that Terry has since updated. These older instructions are downright horrible when it comes to explaining what to do with 3rd and 4th plugs. Luckily I found an old thread where someone mentioned an update to the instructions, and that JB Stage 1 only requires the 1st and 2nd plugs to be used. 3rd and 4th is for JB4. That was 20min of my life I'm not getting back...

Fit & Finish of Install-
There are a few simple things that really irritated me.

-IMHO there should be an extra 2-4in of wiring. I've seen this mentioned before. With the length remaining, if you want to secure the JB unit to something, the only option is a metal cross bar in the compartment where you're instructed to house the unit. If you put it on this cross bar (like the pictures show you to do) the cover for that compartment won't go back on properly. For now I've moved it off that bar, and to the side, and I'll rig up a way to secure it on my own so it's not just sitting in there. Is it going anywhere? No. I'd feel better securing it anyway. Oh, and yes, I got all the slack out and routed properly.

-There are two loose wires with Plug 1, and I have no clue what they are. The instructions I have don't talk about them, and I can't seem to find anything online that tells me what they are. Either way, I have these zip tied at the moment, but I'd like to know what they are, and either cut them, or I'll add some wire loom to conceal them.

End Result-
I believe this pretty much nailed what I expected. The shortest breakdown I can give you is that it's like comfort now pulls like sport used to, and sport is a new class of it's own. I hear the turbo a bit more (I notice it, but don't expect it to solve any desire for more turbo sound if thats a goal of yours), and the car absolutely pulls noticeably harder than before. Long term MPG effects etc, no clue yet, but I do really love the way this car drives now!

Does it eliminate the turbo lag? No. But it does make it quite a bit better. 70% better maybe... I'd have to drive a bit more to really be accurate.

Having experienced this would I do it again? In a heartbeat. If you're at all not quite happy with the power of your 535, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't do a tune.

Is it better than other tunes on the market? Again, no clue. Once I nixed the idea of a bench tune, I was left debating going with Racechips vs JB, and ultimately just chose one and went with it. If I ever run across someone local with a Racechips setup, I'd see if I could swap for a bit and do a solid comparo.

Hope you guys find this helpful! Let me know if you have any questions I haven't covered!

**500mi Update**
I'm still VERY happy that I did this. I'm not noticing any negative effects in fuel economy at all, so if there is any, it must be negligible.

While comfort mode does have more power, I'm still happier in sport mode just because of the better shift points etc. If I put it in sport mode, I can absolutely spin the tires from a launch without even flooring it. Plenty of power from a stop! 60-80 for passing is noticeably better as well, although if I'm going to do that I find putting the tranny in sport mode makes a big difference.

Windows down I can hear the turbo spooling up/down, I can even hear it a bit with the windows up. Nothing big, so again, don't expect a cool sound change, it's just something you'll notice as you drive.

My recommendation stands, tune your 535, it makes for a much better car!

Last edited by ATXF10M5; 12-19-2015 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2015, 05:01 AM   #2
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

Nice write up. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 06:12 AM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB5ER View Post
Nice write up. Much appreciated.
Agree! Definitely a great review! Too bad you couldn't create a DIY for those interested in installing themselves as it helps those with questions. I have yet done a tune as I'm still doing my research on piggyback vs flash tune. I was also very interested with GSR's tune but wasn't comfortable sending my ECU out. thanks for the review tho
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
ATXF10M5
Rep

Thanks guys!

I was actually thinking about a video after I posted this. Had I done one originally we would have had to bleep things out, but now that I've done this once, I could do it again in 5-10min. It'd likely be good even if I went back and showed where everything hooks up. I believe I'll work on getting a video out soon.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXSGF10 View Post
Thanks guys!

I was actually thinking about a video after I posted this. Had I done one originally we would have had to bleep things out, but now that I've done this once, I could do it again in 5-10min. It'd likely be good even if I went back and showed where everything hooks up. I believe I'll work on getting a video out soon.
That would be Awesome! Videos...Pictures... anything helps for those that need it like myself if I ever decide on doing this!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice review, happy to hear you are satisfied with the final result ... The Jb stage 1 is our most popular tune from BMW still under warranty

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:56 AM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Nice review, happy to hear you are satisfied with the final result ... The Jb stage 1 is our most popular tune from BMW still under warranty
Mike, so if i do the exhaust, CP and intake no need for the Stage 2? stage 1 is good enough? i don't plan on doing the DP's unless i know 100% the cabin won't smell like gas lol!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:59 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Mike, so if i do the exhaust, CP and intake no need for the Stage 2? stage 1 is good enough? i don't plan on doing the DP's unless i know 100% the cabin won't smell like gas lol!
Correct, no need for stage 2 unless you have high flow / catless downpipes.

If you pick a trusted brand, your cabin will not have any fuel smell. You would only smell fuel, if you are outside and the car has been on idle for couple minutes.

If you are worried about the smell, get the Evolution Racewerks catted downpipes.

Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 12:59 AM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct, no need for stage 2 unless you have high flow / catless downpipes.

If you pick a trusted brand, your cabin will not have any fuel smell. You would only smell fuel, if you are outside and the car has been on idle for couple minutes.

If you are worried about the smell, get the Evolution Racewerks catted downpipes.
thanks! i'll keep that in mind!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 01:07 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
thanks! i'll keep that in mind!
Just to clarify I'm only talking about power.
To get the features (code reading / deleting, boost limit per gear, extra maps, gauge hijacking , datalog,etc..) you will need the jb4
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 01:08 AM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just to clarify I'm only talking about power.
To get the features (code reading / deleting, boost limit per gear, extra maps, gauge hijacking , datalog,etc..) you will need the jb4
got it!
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
ATXF10M5
Rep

Did a quick update for 500mi of driving. Also, will try and knock out a quick install video this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@ATXSGF10 , Great review.
FYI, you can remove the purple wire pair. I do suggest to remove it from the D-Sub 25 AMP connector also.
While the blue wire pair, you can leave it just in case you will upgrade to a JB4 Stage 2 in the future.

Maybe you want to consider an ER Chargepipe, it will help reducing the turbo lag and gives you a peace of mind compares to the stock plastic chargepipe.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2015, 12:04 AM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@lsturbointeg AFAIK, any catless downpipe or test pipe will not cause the gas smell inside the cabin.
As long as you don't have any window open while the engine is running, or any unplugged holes to the car body, you shouldn't smell any exhaust fume inside the cabin.
I have built a race cars with no interior and catless downpipe or test pipe (NA car), all the smells are outside the cabin.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2015, 12:38 AM   #15
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
@lsturbointeg AFAIK, any catless downpipe or test pipe will not cause the gas smell inside the cabin.
As long as you don't have any window open while the engine is running, or any unplugged holes to the car body, you shouldn't smell any exhaust fume inside the cabin.
I have built a race cars with no interior and catless downpipe or test pipe (NA car), all the smells are outside the cabin.
awesome! appreciate the info!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #16
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport
FYI, you can remove the purple wire pair. I do suggest to remove it from the D-Sub 25 AMP connector also.
While the blue wire pair, you can leave it just in case you will upgrade to a JB4 Stage 2 in the future.

Maybe you want to consider an ER Chargepipe, it will help reducing the turbo lag and gives you a peace of mind compares to the stock plastic chargepipe.
Does a charge pipe really reduce lag? My experience with one I tested had negligible effects. I thought it was more a preventative measure when running my higher psi?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport

Does a charge pipe really reduce lag? My experience with one I tested had negligible effects. I thought it was more a preventative measure when running my higher psi?
It will help.
With higher boost, you will feel it more.
Imagine you are running a high pressure of air through a plastic, it will cause the plastic to expand at some point.
With aftermarket chargepipe, since it is made out of aluminum, it won't expand under pressure.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #18
jarockster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 JLU MOAB

Garage List
Quote:
Did a quick update for 500mi of driving. Also, will try and knock out a quick install video this weekend.
Mind providing any updates on your experience over the last month. Thinking jumping in myself.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #19
ATXF10M5
Rep

Other then failing to do a video for folks on the forum, everything has been great! No regrets at all. Some of the easiest power I've picked up on any car I've ever owned. Could never go back to the way it was, just makes it much more responsive and quick. I'd say go for it! Also, don't forget, you can add addl boost with the stage 1 as well. If every computer I owned wasn't a mac, I might have done this already.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #20
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Other then failing to do a video for folks on the forum, everything has been great! No regrets at all. Some of the easiest power I've picked up on any car I've ever owned. Could never go back to the way it was, just makes it much more responsive and quick. I'd say go for it! Also, don't forget, you can add addl boost with the stage 1 as well. If every computer I owned wasn't a mac, I might have done this already.
Need a Primer on doing the Boost change. You can do that instead of the Video! LOL!
      02-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #21
hp jnkey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i M-Tech

Quote:
I've read that you can not change boost on the stage 1 tuner.
Let me know if there is a way to do that, would like to bump mine up too
if its possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp jnkey View Post
I've read that you can not change boost on the stage 1 tuner.
Let me know if there is a way to do that, would like to bump mine up too
if its possible.
It used to be adjustable
Now the stage 1 is not adjustable anymore

Appreciate 0