2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Need help getting wheel lock off!! Goodyear shop f*ed up my wheel lock

02-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

Need help getting wheel lock off!! Goodyear shop f*ed up my wheel lock

Had the car about a month... the car came with BMW wheel locks. Not sure if there are more than one type.

Long story short, I had Goodyear replace a tire a few weeks back because of a bubble. When they removed the locked it must of stripped off a bit but still was able to get it out.

Today when I was trying to mount my winter set, I couldnt get the wheel locks where they worked on. after trying for an hour or so carefully to get it off myself, i decided to go back to the shop and have they try to get it out. Thats where things hit the fan!!!

When they tried to get it off with an impact, i guess it slid off more and rounded off the teeth on the wheel lock. NOW i cant get ALL the wheels off cuz the locks are screwed up royally!

They want me to come back tomm morning so they can try a few more things. He mentioned getting an air chisel and all I can see is BIG $$$$ damage to the wheels. The other 3 locks are still in good shape but I need the key to get it off.. if i cant get a key they will manually force all of them out.

Does anybody know how I can tell which wheel look type I need to get? I looked at the manual too see if there are any serial number of the key lock that can help me identify it.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Same thing happened to me. Those OEM locks suck. I had to have the dealer chisel them out. I did end up with some scratches on the bolt holes of my wheels. I am lucky it happened with my winter set on. Dealer charged me $300 to get all 4 locks off. I replaced them with Otis wheel bolt locks. Much better product and cheaper at that.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

Just as an update, I end up going to the dealership to minimized risk. luckily they had the key to my wheel lock but was only to remove two out of four. They actually broke their key in the process. Mind you they did removed the two for free... To get the other two out, they needed to write me up a service order for the labor to force the other two out. In the end it cost me 260 to get two stinking bolts out. What a waste! lesson learned. No more wheel lock for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

I'm putting wheel locks on this weekend. To avoid the scenario you had, I'm going to use an anti-sieze to ensure they come back off.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

My advice is not to use the OEM locks. If they get over tightened, they are a b@^#% to get off. Look into Otis bolt locks.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugellos View Post
I'm putting wheel locks on this weekend. To avoid the scenario you had, I'm going to use an anti-sieze to ensure they come back off.
The locks was not seized. so i had two issues. One was over torqued cuz they used an impact gun, second my lock key broke. Once you key broke, you'll have to go to the dealership and hope they have the key from their master set.

Im my case, the dealership had it. was able to remove 2 but when they tried to remove the third one, their key broke as well cuz it was so torqued. they had to chisel it out. With chiseling the bolts you run the risk of damaging the wheels...

in the end, i took it off and just going for standard wheel bolts.

I hope nobody else run into the same issue as me but for now, im done with these wheel locks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
ppopsu01
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i X drive

Need help getting wheel lock off!! Goodyear shop f*ed up my wheel lock

Performance Tool makes a "Lug Nut Remover Socket Set" P/N M980 which is designed to remove: Stripped or damaged lug nuts or Locking Lug nuts where the key has been lost. Available at NAPA type auto parts stores. Surprised the repair shop don't know about this.
Appreciate 0