2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums USA - California Anyone buy or thinking of buying a 5 series xdrive for use in LA area?

12-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Blkthght
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 CP Singapore Grey

Question Anyone buy or thinking of buying a 5 series xdrive for use in LA area?

I think this is as good a place to ask this question as any since I live in the LA area. Because I will use my new 535 as a second car, which will sometimes include weekend trips (big bear, vegas, san diego, santa barbara, tahoe), I was set on getting the xdrive model. I'm not really concerned about the extra $2,500 or so.

However, I was surprised to hear from 2 different client advisers that there is hardly any demand for AWD cars in southern california and they are rarely sold here. They said that there is no need for them here. However one of them speculated that there are attendant adverse costs to owning an xdrive such as lower fuel efficiency, higher maintenance costs down the road, and of course losing the use of capital from paying for a feature that you don't really need.

So my questions to the board are this: If you purchased an xdrive vehicle for use here in Southern Cal, why did you decide to do so? And if you thought about it and didn't, why did you decide not to?

I will also appreciate any comments from those who decide to weigh in with whatever advice or insight they care to share. Thanks.
Appreciate 0