2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Remote control for my garage.

11-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
bike99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 25 xDrive

Remote control for my garage.

I purchased with my car an option 319 (Homelink buttons in the mirror). After spending a few hours trying to program the buttons I called serviceman, and he did that in 10 mins. .
Now here is the problem. The range for this is so poor, that I have to be VERY close to the gate and try several times before it opens. With any of my other remote control units (different types) I can open it being up to 50 meters away. Does anybody else have the same experience?
I'm very unhappy, as that was the first thing I chose when picking up the option list.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike99 View Post
Now here is the problem. The range for this is so poor, that I have to be VERY close to the gate and try several times before it opens.
My Homelink works fine, I can open the garage from 50-60m away.
Here are some tips:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...30&postcount=1

My biggest pet peeves is that it does not work with ignition off.
I don't like the idea of starting the engine before opening the garage door; that would just be mishap waiting to happen. Otherwise, I would have to press on with foot off brake to start the electronics, press the homelink, and then start the engine. My other car's homelink works all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
bike99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Does that mean that you have the same range as with regular units?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike99 View Post
Does that mean that you have the same range as with regular units?
Most likely, as this is the distance I usually press the button. I have not tried further distance comparing regular remote vs homelink.

The link I gave above had some tips as to what to do if you got poor range. You can give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
rogerdodger
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

I don't like the idea of starting the engine before opening the garage door; that would just be mishap waiting to happen. Otherwise, I would have to press on with foot off brake to start the electronics, press the homelink, and then start the engine. My other car's homelink works all the time.[/QUOTE]

I prefer it to only work with the ignition on.

If you leave your car outside the house and someone breaks into your car, bingo, they are then in your house!

Roger
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
If you leave your car outside the house and someone breaks into your car, bingo, they are then in your house!
That should not be a concern. They can easily program it so that the buttons are only operable when it senses the key is inside the car - the same condition as it would allow you to start the engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I don't like the idea of starting the engine before opening the garage door; that would just be mishap waiting to happen. Otherwise, I would have to press on with foot off brake to start the electronics, press the homelink, and then start the engine. My other car's homelink works all the time.

Roger[/QUOTE]

Really no different than a standard remote. I agree, turning on when sensing the remote would be the way for them to go.
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 12:30 AM   #8
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I've tried several times to program the home link to my garage door but still no luck. Read the directions and used the learn button on the garage motor since rolling codes. Only thing it did was prevent my other garage remotes from working. Any tips on programming to get this to work?

Last edited by AWF10; 12-16-2010 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10 View Post
I've tried several times to program the home link to my garage door but still no luck. Read the directions and used the learn button on the garage motor since rolling codes. Only thing it did was prevent my other garage remotes from working. Any tips on programming to get this to work?
I had a little problem with my gate opener (Door King) and I realized that the button needs to send a signal to the gate opener for it to register the code. The buttons on my 550i did not send any codes when new so I had to enter the code from another remote (any code from any remote will do) and then my gate received the code and programed the rolling code correctly. I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #10
bike99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I did try several times. Finally a serviceman reset all the remote controls, and programmed them again. It works now.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Here are some tips:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...30&postcount=1

Ever park your car on the driveway overnight? How about during the evening after dark? If Homelink can open the garage without the ignition, then thieves have access to your garage through a broken car window and then into your house. I say, well done BMW. That is the correct way to program the system. I don't have a problem with waking up the car's electronics before Homelink will work.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Ever park your car on the driveway overnight? How about during the evening after dark? If Homelink can open the garage without the ignition, then thieves have access to your garage through a broken car window and then into your house. I say, well done BMW. That is the correct way to program the system. I don't have a problem with waking up the car's electronics before Homelink will work.
[sigh] You obviously did not read my reply.
Can the thief start your car through a broken window?
No. Why? Because the car cannot sense your key in the car!
So all they need to do is to program the garage door opener to be active ONLY when you have your key, just like the start button. Effective and fool proof.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
[sigh] You obviously did not read my reply.
Can the thief start your car through a broken window?
No. Why? Because the car cannot sense your key in the car!
So all they need to do is to program the garage door opener to be active ONLY when you have your key, just like the start button. Effective and fool proof.
I read your post. Most cars out there have a Homelink system that operates whether there is a key in the ignition or not, whether the car is turned on or not. Maybe the system can be improved, but it is a bit of a nit pick in my opinion. I think it is smart of BMW to realize that allowing Homelink to operate without the car's electrical system turned on (via key) is an invitation to home invasion/theft.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think it is smart of BMW to realize that allowing Homelink to operate without the car's electrical system turned on (via key) is an invitation to home invasion/theft.
I don't think it is smart at all. More like laziness. As it is very easy for them to program it to have Homelink operational only when key is present.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #15
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by savela View Post

Roger
Really no different than a standard remote. I agree, turning on when sensing the remote would be the way for them to go.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you can remove the standard remote. the Homelink stays in your car, even if you choose to park it on your driveway overnight. Not good. BMW did the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 01:57 AM   #16
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
I had a little problem with my gate opener (Door King) and I realized that the button needs to send a signal to the gate opener for it to register the code. The buttons on my 550i did not send any codes when new so I had to enter the code from another remote (any code from any remote will do) and then my gate received the code and programed the rolling code correctly. I hope this helps.

hrrm...i tried to program using one of my garage door opener remote that came with my Overhead garage door system but still that didnt work. Held 2 outside buttons until rapid flash then let go. Pushed and held #1 on mirror simultaneously holding button down on original remote until flash rapidly then let both buttons go. Tested the homelink on mirror and still doesnt work. So fustrating.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it is smart at all. More like laziness. As it is very easy for them to program it to have Homelink operational only when key is present.
Yeah, they are dumb. Maybe they could hire you, then we'd have perfection.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
hrrm...i tried to program using one of my garage door opener remote that came with my Overhead garage door system but still that didnt work. Held 2 outside buttons until rapid flash then let go. Pushed and held #1 on mirror simultaneously holding button down on original remote until flash rapidly then let both buttons go. Tested the homelink on mirror and still doesnt work. So fustrating.
Is it possible you have a rolling code garage opener? If so, what you describe doing will not work because the Homelink in your car will not take the signal from the remote you are now using to open that door. You need to push the button at the overhead unit inside the garage and then (within 30 seconds or so) get in the car and press the Homelink button you want programmed to open it. I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, they are dumb. Maybe they could hire you, then we'd have perfection.
Why would they bother?

They chose the easy but inferior way (when all it takes for them to implement a better way is a few lines of codes), and guess what? Some people are happy about this "lack of feature" and defend them....
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #20
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by savela
Really no different than a standard remote.
Yeah, but you can remove the standard remote. the Homelink stays in your car, even if you choose to park it on your driveway overnight.
All garage door opener can be manually disabled or turned off, so that the remote won't work.
If you park your car in the driveway, the opener should be turned off!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #21
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Why would they bother?

They chose the easy but inferior way (when all it takes for them to implement a better way is a few lines of codes), and guess what? Some people are happy about this "lack of feature" and defend them....
No, I just think you are missing a feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #22
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Is it possible you have a rolling code garage opener? If so, what you describe doing will not work because the Homelink in your car will not take the signal from the remote you are now using to open that door. You need to push the button at the overhead unit inside the garage and then (within 30 seconds or so) get in the car and press the Homelink button you want programmed to open it. I hope this helps.

I tried to push the button on the overhead unit inside the garage and then press the Homelink button in car but that did not work.
Appreciate 0