2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums USA - California Disappointed in BMW/B&O

12-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
dempsy444
Rep
Drives: 535D

Disappointed in BMW/B&O

I was disappointed to learn today that the BMW I ordered from San Francisco BMW with the B&O sound system doesn't support lossless audio or DTS playback. It just supports MP3 and junk like that. This means to get good audio you have to play a physical CD or hook up a flac player through AUX, which brings the disadvantage of not porting metadata to the iDrive so you have to control everything though the flac player. Odd that in 2016 BMW USA is still this far behind yesterday's curve.

Another bummer is the system doesn't support DTS playback either, so if you want to load a DVD in the drive to playback a good multi channel recording of music like The Eagles Hell Freezes over in DTS 5.1, you won't be able to.

Interestingly, the car's manual says BMW supports DTS, but the BMW "genious line" says that only speaks to European specced models. "US/Canadian" ones still don't support DTS or Lossless audio even thought they come from the same factory. that's pretty lame.

I guess I have three questions:

First, have other people run into this problem too or is there a solution I'm not aware of?

Second, the flac player i have hooked up (Fiio X3) through AUX produces decent sounding audio but it doesn't sound as good as a straight CD loaded in the drive. I'm surprised since it is uncompressed. Any technical reason for this?

Finally, has anyone solved the problem of porting metadata to the iDrive through a flac player?

Last edited by dempsy444; 12-19-2015 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0