2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum The latest on the 2011 BMW 5-Series Wagon (F11)

05-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
The latest on the 2011 BMW 5-Series Wagon (F11)

As you can seen, BMW is going full steam ahead with their Touring (wagon) (F11) variant of the upcoming 5-Series. If you ask me, I'm not exactly sure how the interplay betwen this car and the 5-series GT will be, but regardless the car is coming and as you can see the tape is slowly being peeled off.

BMW Insider Scott says the following:

Quote:
It is true both the GT and the upcoming 5er will share the same bloodline but there are noticeably different details to signify the cars are not one variant of the other , The 5er sedan is more stretched with a lower wheelbase whilst the GT has a more upright stance to it as we said it is halfway between the commanding position of an X5 and the lower position of a typical 5er.
Compared to the 7er there are key differences as well such as the sculpture along the lower edges of the car and the front and rear end of the car with a less height and more wider twin kidney grille leading some of the key changes.
Here are the latest spy photos sourced from Carscoop [http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/05...heds-its.html]
Attached Images

05-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

This car looks like it is going to share an increased number of parts from the 7er. I am sure it will have its own identity but it is more a downscaled 7 than I would have liked. Parts bin sharing is going to become more prevalent for the 5 and 7 like the 1,3 etc.

The 5er and 7er used to be more individual models but that looks to be changing.
      05-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Wow, I figured wagon's were dying and being replaced by "GT" models...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
135Eye
Accountants have fun 2!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Silber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
This car looks like it is going to share an increased number of parts from the 7er. I am sure it will have its own identity but it is more a downscaled 7 than I would have liked. Parts bin sharing is going to become more prevalent for the 5 and 7 like the 1,3 etc.

The 5er and 7er used to be more individual models but that looks to be changing.
Well I think you are *very* offbase. I'm not sure which parts you are referring to, but if you are talking about interior parts such as the instument panel, then I'm sorry to tell you that the 3,5,7er have a very *long* history of sharing not only similar design and styling of the interior but also the physical parts.

As for the exterior, if you mean to say that the 5er is going to look similar to the 7er thats one thing, but just because they look similar doesn't mean they share the same parts. Even with a similar appearing headlight and hood, there is no way that the headlights or hood from a 7er could physically fit on the 5er's body.

Your dramatic statement about 'parts bin' is off base and I can see you are trying to imply a downward trend of some sort when nothing of the sort is happening. We don't even know what the interior looks like except for the speedometer and the gear lever which are parts that have always been shared across all BMW segments!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Looks good, proportions are very well done. No funny lines. I like it already (never liked the old 5er, that car needs only 19s to look barely OK - poor design that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post

lol, be grateful it's not yet sharing parts with Mercedes Eclass or VW passat or wotnot.

Anyway, what you base this on? On the steering wheel and the dials? But that's not a fact that they share them or just BMW uses parts from 7er for now - plain and simple. That speedo looks great btw.
      05-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Loving the 7 instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Car magazine ( http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...ew-spy-photos/ ) has snapped up some new pix of the car and gives us a little more indepth information about the car

Quote:
BMW has the luxury of being able to shift subtly the emphasis of the new 5-series Touring. Thanks to the arrival of the new 5-series Gran Turismo – unveiled last week – the new Five estate can fulfil a slightly different role.

Our new spyshots capture the Touring on test in Germany and the disguise is slowly dropping away to reveal the new 5-series sleeker new clothes. Compare the side profile shot with today’s estate: the newcomer has a noticeably faster angle to its tailgate (and a rear end that’s distinctly Audi A6-esque, we should add).

We’ll see the new saloon at the end of 2009 ahead of a motor show debut in spring 2010. Buyers will be able to buy the new 5-series, codenamed F10, in early 2010 with the F11 wagon following in autumn 2010.

How will the new BMW 5-series Touring be positioned?
These photos suggest it’s pretty much business as usual, but there’s the slightest suggestion that the new estate can be marginally sportier than today’s Touring – because the new 5-series GT is so huge inside, with adjustable rear seats, a split tailgate and its unusual tally of 7-series rivalling passenger room and X5 bootspace.

The Touring will keep its separately opening rear window and the usual estate paraphernalia, however.

It certainly looks sleeker than the 5-series GT!
That’s because it is. The Gran Turismo is the more practical, taller 5-series – both the F10 saloon and F11 Touring will be considerably lower and sleeker, according to those who’ve seen the cars.

Check out our previous 5-series scoop for the full engineering story, but here’s a précis of the engines on offer:

• 523i – 2.5-litre straight six
• 530i – 3.0-litre straight six
• 540i – 3.0-litre straight six twin-turbo
• 550i – 4.4-litre V8 twin-turbo
• M5 – 4.4-litre V8 twin-turbo

• 520d – 2.0-litre 4cyl turbo
• 530d – 3.0-litre straight-six turbo
• 535d – 3.0-litre straight-six twin-turbo
Attached Images

05-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: OGV

y does that thing look hella big... i thought these things were supposed to be dropping weight?

BM is turning into MB... bigger and fatter every year... o well
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

I cannot wait until this beast is unmasked because this is going to be the most aggressive looking car out. period.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 03:46 AM   #10
red.66mustang
Black.e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3, 6MT, Carbon Blk/Cinnamn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
Thats my problem aswell. I have said it before in other threads...and this problem just doesnt affect interior but also the exterior design..they just seem to be going back to the one sausage different lenghts design of the 80 and 90's and thats a shame because ugly or not the previous 7 , 5 3 and X models all had there own caracter, looks and now bmw just seems to be going down audis path...have u noticed how all audis look the same on the rearview mirror?? if you notice carefully you will see that the front lights and the way the bonnet meets the lights and front bumper, apart for some minor details, is exactly the same as the new x1, 7 and the new 6 series...shame
Couldn't agree more. When the new 7 was unveiled with its "new interior" I was left was disappointment. Sure it looks more elegant than the F65 but it was lifted directly from the X5! In the current lineup all the interiors were unique to each car, but had similarities (same goes for the cars in the 80's and 90's). However, with the 7 and now 5GT its all the same pity.

As for exterior, I am going to say it. I miss Bangle's designs. Sure they were controversial but IMHO I think they worked and they only got better with each model. These new models, the jury is still out. I still can't get over how similar the F01 front end and headlights look to the E60 5er headlights and front end. Just my 2 cents...
      05-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #11
BarbeRouge
Life is short
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan

I like it. I was never a fan of the Bangled Bimmers. The new 7 is way better looking than the last one. I can't wait to see the new M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

lol

People complaining about this being too much like the 7er (inside and out) are cracking me up...

seriously

History repeats itself and as of yet, its a formula that works for BMW. Build an amazing "flagship" sedan and let bits and pieces trickle down into the lower-end models. Those bits and pieces being both technology and styling.

What's further funny is that these photos are still quite disguised, but one can take a look at the 5er GT and pretty much see what the front and dash are going to look like. Side profile and rear will, of course, be different...

I think the next 5er lineup is going to be quite impressive. The lower-end 528i's (or whatever they decide to call them) will most likely be boring (as always) but the higher end sport models will get most enthusiasts blood pumping.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
car looks big, but proportions are alright.
      11-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Latest on F11 Touring

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...series-touring
Quote:
With the 2009 Audi A6 facelift and the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class already in showrooms, attention now turns to the next-generation BMW 5-Series. A class leader since its inception, the 5-series Sedan and Touring wagon remain crucial vehicles in BMW’s lineup and with the next-gen versions now just months away from launch speculation about their final design has been heating up.

The new 5-Series Touring is expected to arrive 12 months after the reveal of the Sedan, which is making its world debut at March's 2010 Geneva Motor Show, and these latest spy shots give us a glimpse of how it will look. Most of the planned changes for the 2011 BMW 5-Series will be skin-deep.

Under the new sheet metal, BMW will continue with its new found love of turbocharging. The 4.4-liter twin-turbo V-8 from the X6 and new 5-Series GT is expected to appear in a range topping model, while more turbodiesel variants are expected to join the lineup as well. BMW is also expected to launch two hybrid versions: a ‘mild’ hybrid gasoline-electric version similar to the recently revealed ActiveHybrid 7 as well as a diesel-electric version.

The transmission systems will include a 6-speed manual and a 6-speed Steptronic semi-auto gearbox, however a new 8-speed unit from ZF is also expected to be available. New EfficientDynamics technologies will also be available, such as specially designed aerodynamic wheels and brake-energy regeneration systems.

Performance will also be improved thanks to the extensive use of lightweight materials including carbon-fiber and aluminum. The car’s construction will be a mix of an aluminum spaceframe for the front section and a traditional steel monocoque for the passenger compartment and rear. This will ensure a favorable front-to-rear weight distribution and improved handling. Up front will be an independent suspension with MacPherson struts, with a multi-link layout for the rear. High-performance models, such as the next M5, will possibly include carbon-fiber body panels to shed even more weight.

Appreciate 0