2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Product list for a basic wash?

01-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
KRUZNM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Product list for a basic wash?

Just wanted to see what products the F10 owners are using for a basic wash!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

Pressure washer with foam lance, sheepskin washmitt, grit guard, 5 gallon bucket, cr spotless di system, meguiar's gold class and chemical guys wash and clean.

I'll use a separate sheepskin for the rims than I do on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
andyl
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M Sport

Going to bump this thread since I need to order products for a basic wash and want to know what others are using
      09-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i was going to reply to this some time ago but never got around to it.

i'm not as hardcore as some but i do enjoy washing my car. for a basic wash i use the following:

2x buckets
2x knobby mitt (auto zone... yes, seriously)
1x rim brush (very soft)
several microfiber towels (costco).
2x waffle weave drying microfiber towels
1x toro leaf blower
chemical guys was+wax (wash & wax car shampoo with gloss)
stoners window wipes (for tints)
box of rubber gloves
extension cord
adjustable hose nozzle
folding stool

everything is pretty basic imo. the leaf blower is only good for mirrors and other large gaps that water loves to spray from while i drive. gloves are because i'm strange.

if i'm doing a deep clean then chemical guys clay and sealer are worked in but that's rare.

i don't use a wand or pressure washer because i don't really need them. i don't have the room at my current location anyway.
      09-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post

i'm not as hardcore as some but i do enjoy washing my car. for a basic wash i use the following:

2x buckets
1x rim brush (very soft)
1x toro leaf blower
box of rubber gloves
extension cord
adjustable hose nozzle
folding stool

everything is pretty basic imo. the leaf blower is only good for mirrors and other large gaps that water loves to spray from while i drive. gloves are because i'm strange.

if i'm doing a deep clean then chemical guys clay and sealer are worked in but that's rare.

i don't use a wand or pressure washer because i don't really need them. i don't have the room at my current location anyway.
i would replace 2x waffle weave drying microfiber towels with Absorber Towels which last a life time.
      09-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
i would replace 2x waffle weave drying microfiber towels with Absorber Towels which last a life time.
i've seen a few of those but haven't picked any up yet because i wasn't sure if it was the right one. a few cars back i had one and it left a ton of lint on the car and it was quite annoying.

is this the one you have:

i'm very interested. thanks for your reply.
      09-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

No the one i use is not lint they sell it at any pep boys or auto zone it's a blue absorber. Its made out of some kind of absorbing rubber.
      09-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
nice... i'll check that out. thanks
      09-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

The Roundel magazine that i just got today had a very good section on washing and cleaning . I always wash my wheels first (i use a completely different bucket, water and supplies for this) but this says the same thing that everybody else does and says to wash them last.

Badblack550xi- Carbon Black is my favorite color, but when I had my CB M-3 it made me work harder than any other color I've ever had including black! But the reward was the best.
      10-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post

2x buckets
1x rim brush (very soft)
1x toro leaf blower
box of rubber gloves
extension cord
adjustable hose nozzle
folding stool

i just started trying/testing waterless washes so after some testing i'll be updating my list.

the plan is to use california duster for dust, waterless once a week, basic wash monthly and deep clean every six months.
      10-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
kakeuter
Rep
Drives: G35x

California Car Duster will scratch your vehicle, even if the vehicle is SLIGHTY dusty. If you really want a car duster, than consider getting one from Phil at Detailers Domain. If used correctly and the car is only slightly dusty, you won't instill small scratches on the finish.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/The-U...ter_p_347.html

-Kody-
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-Ten ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL View Post
Pressure washer with foam lance, sheepskin washmitt, grit guard, 5 gallon bucket, cr spotless di system, meguiar's gold class and chemical guys wash and clean.

I'll use a separate sheepskin for the rims than I do on the car.
+1 Chemical Guys produce some gooood cleaners.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2

Practical thread. I use a system similar to gTron. I would recommend not using an "absorber", especially if you use a wax and dry or detailer when wiping down. Get a massive MF drying towel like the uber one from Detailers Domain. I got an amazing one for $10 from Target. I used an Absorber all my life and now will never go back.

I do need better tools for cleaning my wheels and wheel-well. I am guilty of using my old car wash water to clean the wheels last

The 2 bucket system is crucial and I just started doing that recently.

I would love to get a system down for a less abrasive cleaning (no wiping). My friends sometimes tease me that I may cause more damage than good for washing my car as often as I do. I guess it's true that all that wiping and washing and drying can cause damage. I know a proper coat of wax should protect it from washes, but I don't have time to wax often.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #14
STORM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Space Gray/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
Practical thread. I use a system similar to gTron. I would recommend not using an "absorber", especially if you use a wax and dry or detailer when wiping down. Get a massive MF drying towel like the uber one from Detailers Domain. I got an amazing one for $10 from Target. I used an Absorber all my life and now will never go back.

I do need better tools for cleaning my wheels and wheel-well. I am guilty of using my old car wash water to clean the wheels last

The 2 bucket system is crucial and I just started doing that recently.

I would love to get a system down for a less abrasive cleaning (no wiping). My friends sometimes tease me that I may cause more damage than good for washing my car as often as I do. I guess it's true that all that wiping and washing and drying can cause damage. I know a proper coat of wax should protect it from washes, but I don't have time to wax often.
If you aren't a fan of waxing, but wash often, use a 2 bucket setup with grit guard $8. Be sure the paint is clean and free of flaws, wax buildup, fallout, etc, and purchase Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Auto Geek sells it. It's a synthetic polymer sealer that is simply incredible. Watch the video on Auto Geek on how to prep and apply properly and you are good for 6 months. No matter what anyone says, I can tell a huge difference with Car Wash soap. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Try a bottle of Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo, you'll only need a capful or two for a wash, and it works awesome $25.

Good Luck
      06-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #15
STORM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Space Gray/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeuter View Post
California Car Duster will scratch your vehicle, even if the vehicle is SLIGHTY dusty. If you really want a car duster, than consider getting one from Phil at Detailers Domain. If used correctly and the car is only slightly dusty, you won't instill small scratches on the finish.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/The-U...ter_p_347.html

-Kody-
Not a good idea, my $.02
      06-22-2014, 03:17 AM   #16
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Why do all the instructional car wash videos say to clean the wheels first? I always do them last as the wheels and tires are more resilient and less prone to scratches from dirty particles floating around in the wash bucket. I also clean the lower portions of the quarter panels behind the rear wheels and under the rocker panels last before I go to the wheels, as that's where the heavy dirt sticks.