2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10 6NR BMW APPS Retrofit by Patrys - Post September Build Complete

01-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #23
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

BMW Apps must use an Iphone with 3G capability to work. There are no radios in a Touch. But if you use an iPhone instead, you will have all the features you mention.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #24
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Thanks Mobileum - but in my post above I mentioned that I intended to supply the iPod Touch with Wi-Fi from a Mi-Fi so that the iPod will have an internet connection. Steve at the start of this thread is feeding his iPod via a bluetooth connection, so it is poosible to use the iPod. Using an iPhone is IMO not an optimal solution, for several reasons.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Is there a PDF instruction sheet/guide on the installation of this? I'm really interested in it but I want to know what I'm getting into (installation wise) before I order it.
Thanks
      01-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #26
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskdale View Post
Thanks both Mobileum and shawnsheridan

I have spent hours researching this but there seems to be conflicting information. BMW in some of their documentation say you must have a snap-in to play video and in some documentation says that to use the apps you must have a snap-in. No where apart from this thread have I read anywhere about using the Aux input for Video. The lead that shawnsheridan suggests is interesting in that its description is "BMW In-Car iPod/iPhone Audio Video USB Adapter Cable 61122179623" which mentions video, although the description only mentions Audio. Does the video get transferred as video or is it streamed digitally over the USB? Does anyone have both Media/Video and Apps working with an iPod Touch using a cable only and no Snap-in ?

Many Thanks
I will take a stab at answering this, however, in no way am I an authority on this.

If you want fullest iPhone/iPod integration including Video, you need Option 6NF Smartphone Integration which adds a second USB port in the USB hub for the the base plate / snap-in adapter use. Besides adding charging and use of the vehicle's aerial antennae, would allow for example an iPhone to be cradled and an iPod to be plugged in to the 6FL USB port in the center console, with the 6FL port taking priority when two devices are connected simultaneously. Adding to this Option 6NR ConnectedDrive, for which Option 6NF is prerequisite, will add BMW Apps including the iPod Out / PlugIn, which changes the iDrive screen to the same look and feel as the iPod function on an iPhone, and Video Playback, which enables video playback from the iPhone via the iDrive display.

The question remains whether you can play video without 6NF, and I believe with a 6VC Combox equipped vehicle, and the new Combox specific 61122179623 cable it is possible, albeit with all functions controlled via the iPhone / iPod as opposed to the iDrive controller.

Looking at the "F10 Cable adapter for Apple iPod / iPhone" in RealOEM confirms that 61120440812 is a "Audio Adapter" for non-Combox vehicles, and that 61122179623 is a "Video / Audio Adapter" for Combox equipped vehicles.

That said, looking at the two cables in detail shows that the 3.5 mm mini-jack on 61120440812 is a TRS Connector (tip, ring, sleeve) whereas on the new 61122179623 cable it is a TRRS Connector (tip, ring, ring, sleeve). A typical stereo cable needs only 3 contacts - Ground, Left and Right. To get video, you need another contact for composite video, which would explain the additional 4th contact on the new version. This can be easily seen in the attached pictures.

Unfortunately, there are many merchants selling the new 61122179623 cable, and incorrectly including pictures of the old cable, or worse actually selling the old cable, so I would make sure before buying one that it in fact has the TRRS mini-jack.

This looks to be a good one from Prestige BMW in NJ:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-iPhone-4...-/180717597164

I do not have the cable, so I have no way of testing this myself; however, my dealer has one in stock that he will sell me for $60 that I may grab after work and tryout with an iPod. I upgraded the OS on my Verizon Blackberry Torch 9850 last week to OS 7.1, which added Mobile Hotspot functionality, so I am thinking I will add that feature to my existing data plan, and avoid having to use a Mi-Fi or the PDANET and Bluetooth DUN and iBluever.

If anyone knows of any advantage to using PDANET and Bluetooth DUN and iBluever versus WiFi Mobile Hotspot, or if anything I have written is wrong, please correct me. Thanks!
Attached Images

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 02-01-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks shawnsheridan for your detailed reply.

From the BMW documentation that I had read it inferred that you must have a Snap-in adapter to use the Video and BMW apps but I now believe that these using the newer cable with the correct options installed on the car these work without the Snap-In.
My new car is now in the UK so should only be a few days before I can try it all out.

What I have been trying to determine is what I need to buy to enable all the features.

But I don't want to buy an iPhone 4 £161 Snap-in (in which the iPod doesn't fit properly) when all I need is a £40 cable. I'll see if the dealer has a cable that I can test it out with.
I believe the best solution is to have a different mobile connection for the iPod running the Web Radio or Facebook etc from that of the mobile phone because if you are in a 2G reception area as opposed to 3G then the data connection on your phone makes the phone engaged - that is anyone calling you will get transferred to answerphone. So IMHO installing a Mi-Fi in the vehicle to supply a wi-fi for the data would be the ideal solution. Also without a separate data connection if you are talking on the phone in a 2G area you will lose your data connection to other apps.

There seems to be a lack of authoritative information on this topic and the dealer does not seem to understand it either.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #28
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

I thought that Y-cable is obsolete now with combox being able to connect to iphone/ipod with apple white cable?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #29
Static-X
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losco View Post
I thought that Y-cable is obsolete now with combox being able to connect to iphone/ipod with apple white cable?
That's what how i connect my iPhone to '11 Oct build F10. Am I having the new combox ?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #30
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static-X View Post
That's what how i connect my iPhone to '11 Oct build F10. Am I having the new combox ?
If you are using white apple USB cable, then yes, you have combox.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #31
Static-X
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i

Quote:
If you are using white apple USB cable, then yes, you have combox.
Thanks ! Great to know that my car has this Combox included.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #32
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks shawnsheridan for your detailed reply.

From the BMW documentation that I had read it inferred that you must have a Snap-in adapter to use the Video and BMW apps but I now believe that these using the newer cable with the correct options installed on the car these work without the Snap-In.
My new car is now in the UK so should only be a few days before I can try it all out.

What I have been trying to determine is what I need to buy to enable all the features.

But I don't want to buy an iPhone 4 £161 Snap-in (in which the iPod doesn't fit properly) when all I need is a £40 cable. I'll see if the dealer has a cable that I can test it out with.
I believe the best solution is to have a different mobile connection for the iPod running the Web Radio or Facebook etc from that of the mobile phone because if you are in a 2G reception area as opposed to 3G then the data connection on your phone makes the phone engaged - that is anyone calling you will get transferred to answerphone. So IMHO installing a Mi-Fi in the vehicle to supply a wi-fi for the data would be the ideal solution. Also without a separate data connection if you are talking on the phone in a 2G area you will lose your data connection to other apps.

There seems to be a lack of authoritative information on this topic and the dealer does not seem to understand it either.
Ok. I took the plunge and bought the new Audio/Video Y-Cable, and sadly, even though I have the Combox, I could not get Video to work. I am pretty sure that Video requires Option 6NF Smartphone Integration, which besides the Base Plate / Snap-In, apparently also includes a different 6FL USB/AUX port that also supports video using the new TRRS Y-cable, for those that do not want to use a Snap-In adapter.

I think your Mi-Fi plan is wise. If I had 6NR, I would do the same except instead of the Mi-Fi, I would use my BlackBerry's built-in Hot Spot with an iPod Touch running BMW Apps.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #33
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The Combox allows for iPhone/iPod one-wire integration using the original white Apple USB cable; however, from what I understand, even Combox equipped cars require a Y-cable to control older iPods:

iPod Generation 1 through 4
iPod Nano Generation 1 through 2
iPod Mini

And the new Y-Cable of course is needed if you want video assuming the vehicle is capable of it.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #34
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
The Combox allows for iPhone/iPod one-wire integration using the original white Apple USB cable; however, from what I understand, even Combox equipped cars require a Y-cable to control older iPods:

iPod Generation 1 through 4
iPod Nano Generation 1 through 2
iPod Mini

And the new Y-Cable of course is needed if you want video assuming the vehicle is capable of it.
I think what makes the difference is if your ipod/iphone supports ipod accessory control. It was introduced with 3rd gen iPod.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #35
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Do you specifically need 6NR for iPod video on the screen? I have 6FL optioned, would video still work through the white Apple cable?
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #36
Abear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrko View Post
Do you specifically need 6NR for iPod video on the screen? I have 6FL optioned, would video still work through the white Apple cable?
No, from what we can gather, you have to have 6NF to make video work, and the video wont work with the just the white apple cable. Gettin close to figuring this out I think, the only cable I think I am missing is the one thats gonna need to be run from the center console plug to the CIC. It seems there needs to be a cable from there for video to the CIC. I could be wrong as there may be a cable already from the combox to the CIC for video, but looking through all the diagrams for both 5 and 3, I cant find that cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #37
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have collected my car from the dealer this morning. This has all the options fitted for video, smartphone and USB Aux, Apps etc. I have connected an iPod Touch which is fed with Wi-Fi it via both the White cable and the new Y cable and the connecteddrive options such as Web Radio, Facebook etc work but neither cables allow me to use the Plug in Feature or play videos. From Steves posts at the start of the thread this is obviously possible because his Pictures show it happening. Anyone any ideas. --Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #38
Abear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
I have collected my car from the dealer this morning. This has all the options fitted for video, smartphone and USB Aux, Apps etc. I have connected an iPod Touch which is fed with Wi-Fi it via both the White cable and the new Y cable and the connecteddrive options such as Web Radio, Facebook etc work but neither cables allow me to use the Plug in Feature or play videos. From Steves posts at the start of the thread this is obviously possible because his Pictures show it happening. Anyone any ideas. --Thanks
Its all in the coding . From what I can tell, there looks to be a certain option that changes the code to make it USB from the snap-in adapter to the USB of the 6FL connector.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #39
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I Emailed Patryk and apparently his Retrofit uses different wiring than the factory standard. So this enables the USB and Aux socket to be used in place of the Snap-in Cradle. The Snap-in is not used then. With the Factory standard you must connect the iPod via the Snap-in cradle. but as there is only 1 Snap-in for the iPod and this does not support media the only solution other than modifying it as per Patryk's modification is to buy an iphone 4 Media cradle and make some padding to hold the iPod in place. Not ideal.
Thanks to Patryk for clarifying this.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #40
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I Emailed Patryk and apparently his Retrofit uses different wiring than the factory standard. So this enables the USB and Aux socket to be used in place of the Snap-in Cradle. The Snap-in is not used then. With the Factory standard you must connect the iPod via the Snap-in cradle. but as there is only 1 Snap-in for the iPod and this does not support media the only solution other than modifying it as per Patryk's modification is to buy an iphone 4 Media cradle and make some padding to hold the iPod in place. Not ideal.
Thanks to Patryk for clarifying this.
Yes, it seems the new Video Y-Cable by itself is not the cheap easy solution I was hoping it was. Since even the factory 6NF option does not allow for 6FL video, it's clear BMW is trying to drive 6NF and subsequent Snap-In adapter sales, which is fine, but not having an iPod Media Cradle in support of that is just ridiculous. Thankfully though, we do have the Bimmer-Tech retrofit as an option.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #41
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Had a quote from Patryk to modify the cabling to his version but it is more expensive than the iPhone 4 Media Cradle and that is not a cheap option. So now have to decide what to do. I was hoping Patryk's modification would have been cheaper or similar to the Cradle cost.
Would it not be possible to make an adapter with cables that plugs into the iPod and connects to the Snap-in connector?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #42
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep

Attention to you that want iPod/iPhone video. I have it, and I am disappointed. The picture size is small, half size (640x480). This is due to the cable used. This is a FBAS cable (old technology), and not capable of transfering the signal quality needed to fill the CIC screen. A movie in 4:3 format will fill the height (not width), but HD or 16:9 will only fill half the screen (centered). Zoom-function is not available as with the DVD.

Last edited by Mobileum; 02-06-2012 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #43
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
Attention to you that want iPod/iPhone video. I have it, and I am disappointed. The picture size is small, half size (640x480). This is due to the cable used. This is a FBAS cable (old technology), and not capable of transfering the signal quality needed to fill the CIC screen. A movie in 4:3 format will fill the height (not width), but HD or 16:9 will only fill half the screen (centered). Zoom-function is not available as with the DVD.
Mobileum, do have the factory or the retrofit from bimmer-tech 6NR?
      02-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #44
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom View Post
Mobileum, do have the factory or the retrofit from bimmer-tech 6NR?
From Bimmer-tech, but the video size is the same with OEM.
Appreciate 0