2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Wheel spacers explained

12-14-2015, 02:05 AM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Wheel spacers explained

Makes me not want to get wheel spacers, but you decide.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Been saying this for years. Spacers look cool, but you will increase the wear and tear on your wheel bearings. Basically you added a longer leaver doing more work on the bearings.
Suspension will always be affected with pros/cons. Its all up to you what you are willing to sacrifice for looks....
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #3
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
He also went on to mention traction increase is only increased 1-2%.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

what about when you order custom wheels with specific offsets?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
what about when you order custom wheels with specific offsets?
The effect would be the same. I am actually an engineer and what was discussed in the video makes sense and is likely accurate. Without running calculations, my guess is that the additional stress on the bearings and suspension components is negligible and would not result in premature failure. I guess time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
The effect would be the same. I am actually an engineer and what was discussed in the video makes sense and is likely accurate. Without running calculations, my guess is that the additional stress on the bearings and suspension components is negligible and would not result in premature failure. I guess time will tell.
so pretty much running custom wheels with an aggressive offset is just like running spacers? trying to comprehend all this
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
so pretty much running custom wheels with an aggressive offset is just like running spacers? trying to comprehend all this
Yes! By pushing your wheels further out (whether by spacers or more aggressive offset than stock) you are increasing the moment (force) on your wheel hub and suspension components. Think about it this way, if you tried to remove a wheel bolt with a standard ratchet, it would be difficult because the length of the ratchet arm is short and it is difficult to generate enough force to break the bolt loose. If you replace that ratchet with a breaker bar (or even slide a long pipe over the ratchet handle), you are able to generate more force on the bolt to break it loose. The concept is sort of the same. The further the distance from the pivot point, the more force you can generate. In the case of your wheels, the force is the weight of the wheel and the pivot point is the hub. Push it out further and you generate more stress at the hub and its components (bearings, etc). Again in my opinion, I don't think you will have component failure 50% earlier running custom wheels, but yes, you will probably wear out certain components faster. But I think we all know that when we start modding our cars with things like lowered suspension and custom wheels.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 11:36 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

got it! yeah it's faster wear and tear on the car but she does look really damn GOOD!!!!
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 03:20 AM   #9
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
We all know the saying, "you gotta pay to play". If I do it at least I'll know what the root cause was.

Appreciate 0