2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW f10 iDrive Control

11-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 550i ///M Sport

Exclamation BMW f10 iDrive Control

Did anyone in here did a LCi version iDrive upgrade to their older f10 iDrive controller? Does it even work? Thinking about it...

Older iDrive version:

Newer iDrive Version:

hmm...
      11-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
NV GUNS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Garage List
2023 M550  [6.75]
2019 M2 Competition  [0.00]
2002 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyroz View Post
Did anyone in here did a LCi version iDrive upgrade to their older f10 iDrive controller? Does it even work? Thinking about it...

Older iDrive version:

Newer iDrive Version:

hmm...
touch pad part of it will not work, I have the lci but I rather have the pre LCI one. kinda pain because it is to big and if you palm it us activate the touch pad and screw you up. I will only be fully functional if it was and option on your car when it was built.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 01:39 AM   #3
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep

ahhh...i see. I just though if the knob is bigger, then it more easy to work with, I careless about the touch pad function or not.
      11-25-2017, 05:02 AM   #4
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

is the centre console trim piece also different for the LCI version, or will the LCI fit into the same trim
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
is the centre console trim piece also different for the LCI version, or will the LCI fit into the same trim
I don't think this is a 100% true. Because u can replace it and fit the trim. But you need to upgrade ur idrive to be able to have the functions for touchpad to work. Why? Wel I don't believe the programming is already in the idrive system. So I would consider looking into the retrofit for the new software or hardware. Bimmertech sells them , I looked into mine for the HUD PADDLE shifts and as well as the new Idrive hardware for Apple CarPlay and apps.

December of 2016 BMW connected drive No Longer provides services with 2g fitted combox installed in BMW vehicles (what I gather and how I made sense of it was, like a cell phone with 4g? Our cars signal was only 2g comboxs ) so if you wanted to retrofit your current 2g model and were a connected services customer you could do this at no costs for free.
Or be paid a 250$ Visa Bmw accessories card. Or like a third option.
If you were not a current customer (website provided vin lookup) you would have to pay for the retrofit combox yourself and yearly connected drive services

So I would look into bimmertech and speak to one of their associates 24:7 I put my number in their "30 second call back" and got a call back in under a minute at 430am? Eastern time lol. And they can tell you what your car will need to provide the services you want
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creynolds View Post
I don't think this is a 100% true. Because u can replace it and fit the trim. But you need to upgrade ur idrive to be able to have the functions for touchpad to work. Why? Wel I don't believe the programming is already in the idrive system. So I would consider looking into the retrofit for the new software or hardware. Bimmertech sells them , I looked into mine for the HUD PADDLE shifts and as well as the new Idrive hardware for Apple CarPlay and apps.

December of 2016 BMW connected drive No Longer provides services with 2g fitted combox installed in BMW vehicles (what I gather and how I made sense of it was, like a cell phone with 4g? Our cars signal was only 2g comboxs ) so if you wanted to retrofit your current 2g model and were a connected services customer you could do this at no costs for free.
If you were not a current customer (website provided vin lookup) you would have to pay for the retrofit combox yourself and yearly connected drive services

So I would look into bimmertech and speak to one of their associates 24:7 I put my number in their "30 second call back" and got a call back in under a minute at 430am? Eastern time lol. And they can tell you what your car will need to provide the services you want

I was just looking to change the iDrive controller, but it seem like is NOT going to work since the old iDrive connector have 10pin while the newer iDrive controller got 4pins. You would have to change out the complete system for that, and that's not worth it. Ebay have the replacement knob to make it look like the newer controller knob, so that'll work for me.
      11-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #7
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was just looking to change the iDrive controller, but it seem like is NOT going to work since the old iDrive connector have 10pin while the newer iDrive controller got 4pins. You would have to change out the complete system for that, and that's not worth it. Ebay have the replacement knob to make it look like the newer controller knob, so that'll work for me.
Ya that makes sense. Why not retrofit to be able
To have the apps ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
That's what I did...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 01:57 AM   #9
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To have the apps ?
simply because I don't want to spend $4k
      11-28-2017, 01:58 AM   #10
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
To have the apps ?
simply because I don't want to spend $4k
Ahahahhaha I wish I could not want to...
I simply don't have it ahahahhaha
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 05:25 AM   #11
Ulisse
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: F 11

beautiful ceramic ......