2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW, the F10 and my disappointment......

08-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #45
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

My F10 also has the main problems (Transmission and Steering) since one year and counting. I swapped the OEM Goodyear RFTs with normal potenza's and the handling has improved a lot. It feels more like a BMW now. But i still can't keep the steering centered at highway speeds. The car keeps slightly swerving left and right and requires constant correcting. It also still pulls to the right - even after BMW applied the official fix by adjusting the springs. (according to PuMA)

I can't believe BMW is turning a blind eye to these major and common problems. Another car maker would've at least acknowledged the issues - if not already figured out the fixes and issued a recall!

As i've mentioned in another post: the BMW brand name is on the line here.

And for those that don't have these issues... consider your selves lucky.
And you can rave all you want about how your car is fine.

But don't mislead new buyers by implying that these problems are not common.... because they are very common issues with the new F10.. and anyone that's browsing any F10 forum would quickly realize that there is a real and common problem with transmission and steering... and that BMW is giving us new owners a tough time when looking for fixes.

Potential f10 owners be warned!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #46
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I concur with other posters here that we need to hear all sides of the story. If your car has had no issues, then feel free to say so! Not all of these cars are bad.

Mine has been in for service 4 times in the 9 months that I've had it, including two visits for the steering issue and a total computer malfunction and then my terrible idle situation. I've had it with this car, but then I've also had several new BMWs that were basically trouble-free.

The attached picture shows the latest malfunction. The message popped up twice after starting the car (sorry for the poor image) last week. I don't know what it's trying to tell me.
Attached Images

Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #47
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

The CDROM you have attempted to store in your vehicle is corrupt.

I would remove the cd from the console CDROM drive.

Next, I would delete the last CDROM you attempted to store from the cars song library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I concur with other posters here that we need to hear all sides of the story. If your car has had no issues, then feel free to say so! Not all of these cars are bad.

Mine has been in for service 4 times in the 9 months that I've had it, including two visits for the steering issue and a total computer malfunction and then my terrible idle situation. I've had it with this car, but then I've also had several new BMWs that were basically trouble-free.

The attached picture shows the latest malfunction. The message popped up twice after starting the car (sorry for the poor image) last week. I don't know what it's trying to tell me.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #48
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
The CDROM you have attempted to store in your vehicle is corrupt.

I would remove the cd from the console CDROM drive.

Next, I would delete the last CDROM you attempted to store from the cars song library.
My car doesn't have navigation. So there is no storing of any CD. No way to do it, no menu option, no storage in the car.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #49
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Well I had some issues with my 04/10 530d.

The greatest problem is that BMW is not able to solve the issues, whatever they are and the way they communicate with their customers. I had many new BMWs since 1991 and the 3 series cars of my first BMW decade were perfectly ok. But ever since I had the more expensive and more electronics filled cars, troubles began.

Generally when you encounter a problem, the story goes like this:

1. They connect the car to their computer and find nothing. No stored fault = the car is fault free.

2. You can demonstrate the problem. You are the only customer who ever had the problem and they have never encountered this or heard of this problem before.

3. You get them to look deeper into the issue. They do something and return the car. You are now the test driver. Sooner or later you find out that the fault is still there. You return the car to the beginning of step 3.

4. After repeating step 3 for several times the issue changes from a fault to a comfort limitation by definition of BMW.

5. To solve the "(non existing) problem" they talk you into some deal that includes them takingback the car and you buying a new one instead.

The last thing that happened to me was that the front brake pads were so worn that they destroyed the front rotors although the car showed some 1.100 kms to go and it was one week prior to the service. The rotors itself were changed under warranty due to brake wobbling 8.000 kms before that and were therefore practically new (the dind't mount new brake pads because the old ones were still good....). Guess who had to pay the rotors?

I tried to argument that I didn't do anything wrong since the car displayed that I could even drive 1.100 kms more before the brake pads neede changing but BMW didn't care. The dealer offered me a voucher worth half of the price of the rotors but I was so angry that I even refused that.
      04-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #50
toppim5
toppim5
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

toppim5

Sorry to hear your issues with your F10, mine is a June 2012 Build and can report no issues. Happy to report it has not burnt any oil since 1200K's also. I have done 8000
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #51
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
No issues so far with mine at 6k on the Odometer and almost 8 mos of ownership. But I do understand and feel for those who have had issues. No product is perfect and they deserve to get their cars fixed and/or replaced for the $$ they spent. These are very well built cars and very well executed in terms of the F10. Hope they get it fixed for you guys tho!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #52
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
34,000 on my 535i built 07/2010 date only problem is when i start it in the morning it doesn't start the first time i hit the button. Sometimes I have to hit the start button 2 or 3 times especially when it cold outside.

2011 M3 Coupe,Jerez Black,DCT,EDC,DSC
2010 X5 30i Black
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #53
ajandhek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

I've taken my car 3 times to the BMW dealer for a weird squeak that's comin from the engine..every time I take it they didnt hear it but the 3rd time I took it they supposedly heard it and 'fixed it'
I have set up a new appointment with them cause that squeak has never left my car and now another addition of squeaks is my suspension..I can't wait to take my car in I'm fed up and I'm raising hell with the service manager
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #54
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajandhek View Post
I've taken my car 3 times to the BMW dealer for . . . . . . . .
One thing I've learned over the years is to keep my car away from the dealer "techs" and as a reward I think I have been "lucky" with trouble free cars. My X5d had a tail light issue and I fixed it myself - it was a lose connector. My 550 no longer beeps when I hit the lock on the key fob but there is no way I'm going to let the techs touch it to fix it. Other than those two minor things they have both been super reliable. The free maintenance is more trouble to me than it's worth - I change my own oil

If there is a speck of room for a screwup your dealer tech will manage to find it. C&D gave a terrible review to the 2005 Acura RL when it first came out years ago but all their problems started when they took the car in to fix a sunroof rattle. My RL was flawless during my 5 years 90K plus miles of ownership. I got "lucky" again by not taking it in.
Appreciate 0