2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Bavarian Soundwerks Stage 1 speaker upgrade

06-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Bavarian Soundwerks Stage 1 speaker upgrade

Just a quick note to say I ordered and installed the complete set for factory HK (688) option, so 7 tweeters and 7 mids. Ordering was straightforward, parcel arrived quickly, got stiffed for import duty of course.

Anyway.... I am very pleased with the results. The midbass and mid response is evened out, with voices having more body and presence to them, and the nasty edge around 2khz has gone, and the overall sound is more open with more of the sweetness/ lack of harshness that you would associate with silk dome tweeters and a well judged mid/tweeter crossover point.

I have the equaliser flat, except that 100hz is -3 and 200hz is -1, and I have the bass control at +1. That seems to give the most natural bass response/extension, and is nothing to do with the BSW units. Surround is off.

I experimented with removing the centre channel, and ultimately prefer not having it. Stereo image is wider.

I'm not sure how worthwhile it is having the rear door and rear shelf units replaced. 95% of what is reaching my ears seems to be coming from the front doors/mirror triangles. BSW's pricing structure means the extra units are cheaper though.

I don't think it is worth going any further than this unless you spend a lot more money on an aftermarket amp, digital processor, 3 way aftermarket speakers (like the Jehnerts that are on my shelf but probably won't go in now....) and a trunk sub to do the work that the underseat woofers can never really do.

Bass extension with the factory HK system is actually quite good. I played some Yello with bass drops down to about 35hz and most of it was reproduced, and at reasonable volume down to about 45hz I'd say. You only need to add a "real" sub if you want unnatural levels of bass and/or meaningful extension below about 40hz.
Appreciate 0