2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Sports Auto Gearbox & Button

01-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Sports Auto Gearbox & Button

ok I know this question has probably come up before now but I've tried some searches and cannot find a decent answer to what i am sure is an obvious question.

just taken delivery of an F11 with sports auto gearbox. car is F11 M-Sport so standard M-Sport suspension no other suspension related options on the car at all.

next to the gearlevel is a button marked NORMAL/SPORT that lets you cycle through three options:

NORMAL
SPORT
SPORT+

as you cycle through said options pics appear on i-drive showing drivetrain and chassis combination's.

what are the differences between each choice? anyone know? I am guessing it's just sharper throttle responses and hanging on to lower ratios for longer in SPORT/SPORT+ where the gearbox is concerned but what chassis related tweaks are taking place in SPORT/SPORT+?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Ewymac
Ewymac
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d se sports auto on order

Some info here! Hope it helps.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449239
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416668

Nice car still waiting for mine! Tormented and jealous!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
pogodog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

sport auto

The shift points of the trasnmission are faster and the suspension/sterring is firmer as you for to Sport and then Sport+. Normal is a bit cushy but great for touring in straight line.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

As far as I know even though chassis appears on the screen there is no change made to it unless you have adaptive drive.

Sport setting will lock out 8th gear and sport + will do this and disable traction control to some extent..i

Sport and sport + also seems to make the steering feel heavier/more direct.
      01-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks for the replies.

this info and those links make sense....more sense than the manual anyway

I knew the suspension couldn't be receiving any adjustment despite what i-drive claims, as I only have the std m-sport setup no dynamic aids.

so its just feel/software changes...seems logical. i tried sport mode today and definitely felt a lot sharper and as has been said already soon as you go to sport+ you receive a warning about some traction control element being disabled...didn't spend too long on that setting given the car is 3 days old and the roads were icey
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
MySport
M40d Phytonic Blue
Rep
Drives: M40d

I am waiting for my M Sport on standard sport suspension to turn up. I would really appreciate some feed back on the ride quality without VDC. Have you got the standard M Sport 18" wheels or did you go for the 19" upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

19's + standard suspension and am very happy with the ride quality but then my last 3 BMW's have all been M-Sport models so i am used to the setup i guess. This latest model seems to achieve an excellent balance between comfort and sportiness.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by indus View Post
As far as I know even though chassis appears on the screen there is no change made to it unless you have adaptive drive.

Sport setting will lock out 8th gear and sport + will do this and disable traction control to some extent..i

Sport and sport + also seems to make the steering feel heavier/more direct.
Correct but you can also set Sport mode to just adjust the steering and throttle and leave the gearbox in normal 8 speed mode. I have my car set like this then just flick the gear lever across to get the faster gear changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
citrilla
Winker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Space Grey X3 MSport 2.0d

This still seems to cause considerable confusion. Unless you have adaptive drive or variable damper control, the sports settings have no impact on the chassis/suspension. They simply change the responsiveness of the acceleration by dropping the eighth gear and make the steering slightly more direct
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61 View Post
Correct but you can also set Sport mode to just adjust the steering and throttle and leave the gearbox in normal 8 speed mode. I have my car set like this then just flick the gear lever across to get the faster gear changes.
Thanks, I was wondering whether this was possible. But when you flick the gear lever across doesn't that put it into manual(flappy paddle) mode?

Excuse my ignorance but this gearbox is different to the SMG jobbie in my E60.

01-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrilla View Post
This still seems to cause considerable confusion. Unless you have adaptive drive or variable damper control, the sports settings have no impact on the chassis/suspension. They simply change the responsiveness of the acceleration by dropping the eighth gear and make the steering slightly more direct
Do you have the primary source for this?

The reason I ask is that I have the sports auto on M Sport suspension and it corners better when in Sport, than when in Normal mode. Maybe they should have a s/w upgrade ...

Normal
Placebo Sport
Placebo Sport+

... for non-adaptive drive / non-variable damper control owners!

Or in other words is ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrilla View Post
make the steering slightly more direct
... messing with my mind?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by indus View Post
Thanks, I was wondering whether this was possible. But when you flick the gear lever across doesn't that put it into manual(flappy paddle) mode?

Excuse my ignorance but this gearbox is different to the SMG jobbie in my E60.

Flappy paddle mode as you call it is active all the time, you can change gear with the paddles (providing in doing so you won't damage the engine) when ever you want. By moving the gear selector across to the left you engage sports mode on the gear box which I think gives you 6 gears and higher change points and allows you to change gear with the gear selector as well as the flappy paddles. I may be wrong on this?? will try it tomorrow.

It gives you 7 gears.

Last edited by k44ENT; 01-12-2011 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d M Sport auto

Garage List
What impact on mpg does the Normal setting have?

If it's just a faster gear change, then perhaps none? Clearly the higher revs and cutting the gear range will have an impact in sports/sports mode.
      01-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #14
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 (523)

@ northernmonkey
@ ipso_facto

I have the M-Sport suspension with the SAT. Besides the steering, throttle and gearbox changes, there is a slight but perceptible hardening in the suspension (more jittery and road imperfections are felt more) in Sport mode. Not aware of any adaptive dampers included the M-Sport suspension but have read elsewhere that some Dutch owners have also experienced the same effect. Must be imagining things
Appreciate 0