2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding retrofiting 6NS enhanced bluetooth/convenience phone cradle into 6NH 2014 535D F11

12-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
glider
Rep
Drives: 2011 F11 535d M-Sport touring

retrofiting 6NS enhanced bluetooth/convenience phone cradle into 6NH 2014 535D F11

I am just upgrading from a 2011 535D F11 Msport to a 2014 LCI 535D F11 Msport.
Both cars have a whole bundle of extra options fitted but the newer car had a few missing that are on the older car.
One of the missing extras from the newer car is the 'enhanced bluetooth and USB convenience phone cradle (I know there are those who do not like the cradle but I do so am missing it).

The 2014 car's head unit is NBT.
I have sourced a centre armrest interior with phone base and a USB/audio socket which I will use for an old iphone 4S as an ipod (as I do at present in the LCI 6NH non-cradle fitted interior).
I have also sourced where I can get the coding done to upgrade from ordinary bluetooth to 'enhanced' streaming bluetooth (6NH to 6NS)

So on to the physical connection....

There are three cables that go out from the phone cradle base:

1) One to connect to the cable that goes to the GSM aerial in the roof (I am not too bothered if there is no wiring for this in the 2014 car)

2) One that will connect to a HSD (acts like a USB) cable that goes to the NBT head unit (I believe that this takes the phone calls and music to the NBT unit...?) So I will have to source one of these

3) a black multi connector that goes to where I do not know. It does not seem to have a corresponding connection on the head unit so perhaps it is a legacy thing?

As my 2014 car only came with the standard bluetooth and no phone cradle I should expect that the cables that would connect to the phone cradle and onto the NBT, roof aerial etc, will not be there.

As I am not too bothered about the aerial and am not sure about the black multiconnector, so would connecting the cradle to the NBT unit with the HSD cable give me USB music and calls from the 5S phone when slotted into the 5S snap-in connector into the cradle base?
Appreciate 0