2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW Advanced Car Eye

06-19-2014, 04:59 AM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

BMW Advanced Car Eye

Hi folks,

Anyone with the BMW Advanced Car Eye (camera), I am about to go for it, I am up to my 3rd parking dent, this last one will cost me 450Euros to fix so thinking the Camera will do the job in the future.
The cops checked the security camera, can tell the model & colour of the car but not the Reg, if the camera was in my car it will certainly captured the Reg while parking, they also come with motion sensor, so start recording if the car is moving while parked.

Few photos and technical details are up on the net, but not able to find the exact dimensions of the front camera, is it the size of an iPhone 4?
I am planning to have it installed as discrete as possible.

Thanks for any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
e46tiag
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82

Have you seen the photos in this forum?
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/elebest...ecorder-2.html

I'm thinking of getting it too, but I'm a little hesitant as my dealership haven't installed it for any clients yet and I don't really want to be the guinea pig. So I think I'll just wait a little until they get more experience installing them for others.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Dents could be cheaper, all in.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
zmikezzzz
China
Rep
Drives: 523LI F18

actually it's Mando BF100 from Korea OEM and u can find the further details by google.

Or check here:http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads...-car-eye.5182/
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Hi raleedy, my current dent due to paint damage on side panel and bumper, 450 Euro estimate, the car is in for few days at BMW body shop too, the camera all in front and rear just under 500 Euros, add last 2 ones each around 90 Euros, I am in for the camera just to catch the ass hole.

Last edited by martin mustang; 06-22-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Hi e46tiag, my dealer confirmed that the BMW UK tested the part for the Front one and all fine, but with the back camera you got to be careful as you can see in your pictures per website you listed, I have the auto blinds/sun shades that comes up in the rear screen, the rear camera may not fit the space between the blinds when up and rear screen, my dealer is waiting for an answer from Germany on this. So I am going for the front and adding the rear only when BMW confirms no contact with the blinds once installed, in one of the picture you can see the blind up and bending to go around the camera.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
zmikezzzz
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Hi e46tiag, my dealer confirmed that the BMW UK tested the part for the Front one and all fine, but with the back camera you got to be careful as you can see in your pictures per website you listed, I have the auto blinds/sun shades that comes up in the rear screen, the rear camera may not fit the space between the blinds when up and rear screen, my dealer is waiting for an answer from Germany on this. So I am going for the front and adding the rear only when BMW confirms no contact with the blinds once installed, in one of the picture you can see the blind up and bending to go around the camera.
Impossible to install the rear camera between the windshield and sunblind,i guess.Maybe the corner has some space for fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #8
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmikezzzz View Post
Impossible to install the rear camera between the windshield and sunblind,i guess.Maybe the corner has some space for fit.
good point I need the dimensions of the rear camera, the dealer confirmed he can order the camera for the back and return it on the basis does not fit due to blinds since not tested yet
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Hi raleedy, my current dent due to paint damage on side panel and bumper, 450 Euro estimate, the car is in for few days at BMW body shop too, the camera all in front and rear just under 500 Euros, add last 2 ones each around 90 Euros, I am in for the camera just to catch the ass hole.
I understand and sympathize. My point is that identifying the perpetrator is just the beginning -- then you need a gun or a knife or a bat or maybe a lawyer -- maybe all of the above. There's more to it than just a picture.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
zmikezzzz
China
Rep

Quote:
good point I need the dimensions of the rear camera, the dealer confirmed he can order the camera for the back and return it on the basis does not fit due to blinds since not tested yet
i just called the salesman this afternoon,he confirmed the rear camera cant be fit into such narrow space while the sunblind kept up and suggested only fit the front one.

well,looks like i have to fit it at the left or right corner when im free next month.it's my carelessness,just forgot the sunblind when purchased it.

some pics for yr info.,looks not bad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #11
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I understand and sympathize. My point is that identifying the perpetrator is just the beginning -- then you need a gun or a knife or a bat or maybe a lawyer -- maybe all of the above. There's more to it than just a picture.
I totally agree with you on that one, you are spot on I risk getting nothing out of it, the law and use of videos are simply not aligned, I am going on the basis if the big ford Mondeo was driven by some old folk who didn’t even realise they made contact, once traced down, they may simply accept responsibility. On the other hand over here in Europe Insurance companies are starting to accept video evidence to back up your story, and they also giving discount when a Camera is used, in other words Insurance companies are not waiting for the Law to catch up with video evidence, a case in London about month ago in car video was use for hit and run at traffic light junction, the crazy part the offender after burning the red light and hitting car he took off to a Police station claiming he was the victim, the real innocent was lucky to have the camera on.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
LeonardaPereda
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Having an event data recorder installed in your car can help you save lives as it take note of crash data and the habits of the driver. However, there are some marketers that used it to invade the security of drivers. Source of article: Event data recorders: Saving lives and invading privacy
Appreciate 0