2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Vogtland

10-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
5eries619
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i x drive

hi everyone I wanted to get some input. pretty New to the forum and I looked around a bit but didn't find anything on Vogtland coilovers. I came across these on CARIDs website and tried to find reviews and aren't seeing much or anyone having installed them on a 5 series.
I found people with 3 series and found good reviews. After investing some decent money on my rims I obviously want to drop a few inches but still want a comfortable ride as it is my daily driver. Vogtland seems like a decent price point at 1200 for coilovers manufacturers in Germany.
any thoughts?? ACS seems to be a popular choice here for a slight drop but not sure if 1" all around is enough or if ACS is worth the 500.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

I was searching for Vogtland as well but couldn't find any F10's with real world experience. Other model owners seem to like them and the company is very reputable in the suspension market, been around for decades. It looks like around here, it's usually KW, BC, or Megan. Let me know if you decide to pull the trigger on Vogtlands. I'm leaning towards BC or Megan because they're tried and true.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Funny I have been researching the same thing the last 2 weeks.

I will also have an f10 528i xdrive and its been a bit of a headache trying to find vendors that have coilover applications for our xdrive cars.

So far I've found KW only has xdrive application with their V3 system. Pretty damn expensive for a car that is never ever going to see any track or canyon driving.

CKS has a system at $2050 retail for their xdrive coilovers. A lot better price than KW, but still pretty pricey.

The other options are springs (ACS/H&R/DINAN) but I'm a little hesitant to go with just springs due to my experience with H&R springs matched with my stock struts (DHP). I found the springs only option with the H&R Sport left the car very bouncy and not very wife friendly.

I'm not sure if ACS or Dinan would be any different with stock standard suspension on the 528i. I've heard that the standard struts are horrible and at minimum the struts should be changed to sport shocks if springs are changed. Unfortunately Koni does not make an xdrive application for their Koni Yellow. And still trying to find out of Bilstein or anyone else has a good sport shock to match up with the ACS/DINAN springs.

And after all that, I also JUST landed on the CARID page about 10 minutes ago and saw these Vogtland coils as having an xdrive application and thats how I found this post. I also like the price point as well. I was glad to see it was not from years ago and is actually pretty recent.

I wish there was a sticky or even a post that showed updated info on what vendor/company has suspension applications for our xdrives.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
I was searching for Vogtland as well but couldn't find any F10's with real world experience. Other model owners seem to like them and the company is very reputable in the suspension market, been around for decades. It looks like around here, it's usually KW, BC, or Megan. Let me know if you decide to pull the trigger on Vogtlands. I'm leaning towards BC or Megan because they're tried and true.
It looks like OP, like me, have xdrives.
I don't believe BC or Megan has an xdrive application. We xdrive owners have a VERY limited number of options unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
5eries619
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh
I'm gonna make a decision here shortly and I'll let you know if I decide to pull the trigger on these Vogtland. I hate the gap on my car so much I've driven 20 miles on it since I installed them rims almost 3 weeks ago; it's been all EVO.
read a lot of the same reviews as both of you have, I'm really curious why no one has tried them on an F10. I might just have to be the guinea pig.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 03:11 AM   #6
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5eries619 View Post
I'm gonna make a decision here shortly and I'll let you know if I decide to pull the trigger on these Vogtland. I hate the gap on my car so much I've driven 20 miles on it since I installed them rims almost 3 weeks ago; it's been all EVO.
read a lot of the same reviews as both of you have, I'm really curious why no one has tried them on an F10. I might just have to be the guinea pig.
Which vendor did you come across them on? CarID as well? I wonder if there is a vendor here that seems then. Maybe a small group buy is in order?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

the standard rules always apply. if given the option, go for coil overs. the problem with Springs is that they lower only slightly and on top of that shorten the life of your shocks drastically. I have never understood the reasoning to get Springs when you will need the replace the shocks shortly afterward anyway
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
the standard rules always apply. if given the option, go for coil overs. the problem wh Springs is that they lower only slightly and on top of that shorten the life of your shocks drastically. I have never understood the reasoning to get Springs when you will need the replace the shocks shortly afterward anyway
exactly! There's actually quite a few members who's shock blew within a week or month. The OEM shock isn't designed/engineered to handle a shorter spring
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
PJinCA331.50
      10-10-2016, 12:00 AM   #9
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Are there any options for a more performance oriented strut for the Xdrive? .

I was really hoping to go with acs/Koni yellow, but alas, no Koni yellow for Xdrive.

If there was another strut option, I'd consider doing acs/eibach with those struts over coils. Mainly because I am only looking for about a 1" drop for a daily driver and D would prefer not to have to spend $2k cks coils for that, let alone almost 3k on kw v3.

Wish someone had some feedback on these Vogtland!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #10
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30
Are there any options for a more performance oriented strut for the Xdrive? .

I was really hoping to go with acs/Koni yellow, but alas, no Koni yellow for Xdrive.

If there was another strut option, I'd consider doing acs/eibach with those struts over coils. Mainly because I am only looking for about a 1" drop for a daily driver and D would prefer not to have to spend $2k cks coils for that, let alone almost 3k on kw v3.

Wish someone had some feedback on these Vogtland!
I think bilstein makes a strut for xdrive as well, at least they did for the e60 5 series
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

During my quest for coilovers I tried searching and scouring the web for Vogtland's but came up empty...not even one!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #12
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I reached out to bc racing directly inquiring about coils for 528i Xdrive and sales there emailed responded confirming that they do have an Xdrive application.

Not sure if 528i/535i/550i have the same coilover model number but I was told the part number for the 528i Xdrive application is I-10-BR

My next question is, is bc racing any good? The last thing I want are some bouncy as hell coils that are only good for slamming the car down real low.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

i have the acs springs on my 2014 550i, the car had 16k miles on it when i put them on (now it has 19k)

i've been very happy with the ride quality.

imho they are worth the price premium as they maintain the factory ride, while eliminating the body roll dive/squat from the stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
5eries619
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri
i have the acs springs on my 2014 550i, the car had 16k miles on it when i put them on (now it has 19k)

imho they are worth the price premium as they maintain the factory ride, while eliminating the body roll dive/squat from the stock suspension.
Thank you! yeah I've read tons of reviews with ACS my biggest concern on the ACS isn't the quality of the ride but more so; will it give me the drop I want?
1" drop all around may not be the aggressive enough for me. I've seen tons of pics and it looks ok, but sometimes it's always different when it's in front of your face.
on that note is there anyone in San Diego with ACS springs and 20" rims running stock profile (35 front and 30 rear)?
I would really like to see one in person.
I'm in the same position as some of the other people here. I don't have a problem dropping $3k for high end coilovers but my car will NEVER see a minute of track time. I just want it to look clean and aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #15
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

who says you have to drop $3k for coil overs?
http://www.stsuspensions.com/product...coilovers.html
then there's kw street comfort, which are much less expensive than v2 or v3
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #16
5eries619
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA
who says you have to drop $3k for coil overs?
http://www.stsuspensions.com/product...coilovers.html
then there's kw street comfort, which are much less expensive than v2 or v3
ST doesn't offer coilover for xdrive and KW only offers the V3 for xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 02:13 AM   #17
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post

What strut setup do you have matched with the acs Springs? I've heard that acs with standard suspension might be quite bad. But with the sport suspension is significantly better?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #18
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Did you end up deciding which route you see going to take?
Do we have our first Vogtland guinea pig? Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #19
5eries619
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No I went towards a different direction.
I contacted CKS after finding out they now manufacture coilovers with 24 dampening position for xdrive. I couldn't pass up. To top it off I got an awesome deal I paid 400 below retail shipped. I will have it installed this Friday and post some pics. sorry not your guinea pig this time around
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #20
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No I went towards a different direction.
I contacted CKS after finding out they now manufacture coilovers with 24 dampening position for xdrive. I couldn't pass up. To top it off I got an awesome deal I paid 400 below retail shipped. I will have it installed this Friday and post some pics. sorry not your guinea pig this time around
Hey old thread but did you ever install CKS coil overs?? What was your experience with them?
Appreciate 0