2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Brake change indicator

10-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Brake change indicator

My iDrive says to change the front brakes in 3100 miles... but come to think of it... it's been showing that for at least 5000 miles. The number hasn't gone down... Should I change my front brakes? Trust the sensor and do nothing? Trade it in and get a new car?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #2
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

I wouldn't trust the sensors. They fail often. Shine a light down and look at your pads. Feel the lip on your rotor and see if it's prominent. Any shop can check for you also. My advice if I was in your shoes:
1. Get a new car.
2. If option 1 isn't practical at this time....and you find out the brakes have life left, either drive it for a few months or just change out the sensor (cheap and easy to switch out).
3. If brakes need replacing, diy them, easy peasy. Change out the sensor also, it's just a plug and play cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #3
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
I wouldn't trust the sensors. They fail often. Shine a light down and look at your pads. Feel the lip on your rotor and see if it's prominent. Any shop can check for you also. My advice if I was in your shoes:
1. Get a new car.
2. If option 1 isn't practical at this time....and you find out the brakes have life left, either drive it for a few months or just change out the sensor (cheap and easy to switch out).
3. If brakes need replacing, diy them, easy peasy. Change out the sensor also, it's just a plug and play cable.
Thanks for the advice!

Would love to do 1, probably will do 2 or 3.
Appreciate 0