2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550xi v.s. M5 Dilemma

09-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
Sorai
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 Acura TSX

550xi v.s. M5 Dilemma

Good afternoon to all BMW enthusiasts. About 2 weeks ago I conquered my dream of purchasing my first BMW. It was a 2013 550i with xDrive. It had 30k on the clock and the otd price came out to about 42k. The very next day the vehicle was totaled in a car accident. Long story short I was heading down a 2 lane road around 2am driving 40 mph. Upon reaching the intersection some drunk lady ran a red light, smashed my front left bumper, and fled the scene. Upon impact the front airbag deployed, the side airbag deployed, and the engine started smoking. Thankfully I'm okay, and luckily the lady was apprehended about 20 minutes later. This happened in a northern suburb of Chicago (where I'm located). Now, I'm at a crossroads. In about a month or so I should get back the total I spent on the car (I had gap insurance and everything, it was warrantied and insured as much as possibly can be.) I want to use that money as a down payment on either another used 550i or a used M5. The M5 is my dream car, but I'm concerned as to how the rwd will fare in Chicago's winters. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Sorai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also just for reference before the 550i I was driving a 2009 Acura TSX that had reached 127k on the clock (I was the single owner). My family has been an Acura family forever but I'm a bimmer fanatic at heart.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Sorry to hear about your incident, but important thing is everyone is OK.

M5 is a different beast altogether, so it's hard to tell exactly how it would work for you, but I'll share my experience.

I drive RWD car all year round, and our winters are similar to what you get, maybe a bit longer and I think we may get more snow on average (and frequent freezing rain), but, close enough. I also ski at least 30 days every year, and so far haven't postponed a trip because of RWD/weather conditions. I keep repeating this, but I'll say it again, good winter tires and common sense are all that's needed. Another thing I keep repeating is that, yes, xDrive is smarter buy for winter driving no doubt, but RWD is "just fine".

Same as you, I was very reluctant to buy RWD vehicle given winters we have, but same as you, what I considered my "dream car" at the time came on the CPO market, so I quickly picked it up. Was I worried before my first winter, you bet, but now I know there was no major reason, other than most people out there will tell you it's "just crazy" to drive one of these on the snow. Yes, you cannot get fast off the line and you'll get every so slight rear end "wiggle" every now and then if too aggressive on the throttle, but electronics in these cars are simply superb for winter driving. Any attempt at being stupid with the throttle are quickly shut down by the system.

If it's your dream car and you can afford it, in my opinion you should get it. Even if that means getting a winter beater. But for sure these RWD cars are perfectly fine to drive during winter.

I recently posted in 3 series forum on the same topic. Also another forum member I believe from Chicago (metallicpea), who's never owned anything but RWD, posted in the same thread, just in case you need more info or maybe PM him for his experience.

Oh, and just because I like these two photos, I'll re-post them once again.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #4
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're okay. same thing happened to me in February got hit by a drunk. that's how I got an f10.
I would get the m5 if you can swing it. it is my dream car too, but I had other priorities when my car was totaled (bought our new house last month). I wouldn't worry too much about rwd in snow, in high school I drove a 72 monte Carlo to school with a 427 under the hood in volorado. if a 16 year old can do that in a car without disc brakes, traction control, or any other safety aid, you should be fine. just drive carefully
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Sorai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you all so much. It's settled then, I'll be on the lookout for an M5. Hopefully I can find a cpo one too, that's the goal. What would you guys consider a high mileage f10?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Trust me, you can make a beast out of 550 with so many mods available and enjoy Xdrive in Chicago, but if you really, really wanted M5, then, one day you'll regret it, no matter how fast your 550 is going to be
I didn't want M5 so bad, so no regrets. I'm more into lighter M cars.
Bbb34730.50
      09-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #7
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Why not get another 550xi and tune it? I've seen a 550i/xi pull on an M5 with just a JB4. The F10 V8s are not THAT far apart, when compared to the E60 550i vs M5 and E39 540i and M5 (aside from aesthetics.) Of course there is more to the car than just speed, but that's something that would really wear off for me pretty quickly considering the price difference vs performance difference.

I personally live in the Chicago area and opted for the RWD 550i. I came from a quattro Audi and it just wasn't as fun as a RWD car. All you really need is a very good winter set up, and you should be OK.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
Sorai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, for the day I had it, I absolutely fell in love with the 550i lol. Granted, I did jump from 200 to 400hp, but it felt so planted and so perfect. The weight was perfect, steering feel, everything. I might just opt for a 550xi M Sport and call it a day lol. If you do live in the Chicago area then you'll also be able to empathize with me when I tell you that I don't own a garage haha. I live in a condo that only has outside parking, so when I say this thing is going to be my daily, I mean it. I won't be receiving any settlements until mid October so I'll just be on the lookout for both and if the time is right and I come across a steal of a deal then I'll bite. Thanks to everyone for their input, it feels good to finally be able to join this forum haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #9
Sorai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also are tunes allowed under warranties? I really don't want to risk buying a car through a private party, ideally I'd like to find one at a BMW dealership and have it be cpo so I can have that peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 06:22 AM   #10
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

I had a 400+ hp awd sedan, it was a tuned Lincoln MKS that ran high 12's at the drag strip. On 20" all season tires, it would go pretty good in the snow. However, it was awful at stopping or steering. I sold it because it was an Automatic!

I've had a 6-speed rwd 535 and 550 since on 17" Blizzaks and they are much more capable. With proper tires, the awd Lincoln would have been amazing... but if you aren't fitting tires that xi will just be going faster when it slides off the road.

M5 with snows will be fine!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #11
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

If you want M5 then in my opinion you go and buy M5, you don't buy 550 and try to make it into M5.
No amount of tuning will transform 535 into 550, 550 into M5.
Not that there's anything wrong with buying 550 and tuning it to your liking of course.

Last edited by Bbb34; 09-14-2016 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #12
Sorai
Enlisted Member
Rep

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9179/overview/

This is the only one currently for sale anywhere near me. And its perfect. Lets hope it sits until October.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #13
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorai View Post
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9179/overview/

This is the only one currently for sale anywhere near me. And its perfect. Lets hope it sits until October.
I think small deposit would go a long way to help it stay there until October.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #14
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't worry if there are not that many cpo m5s available right this second. there will be more when you're ready. Remember, m5 owners tend to be more affluent, so many will be returning their f10 m5s as they put their orders in for the g30 coming next year. patience and you will find the perfect car for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #15
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think a bigger question is why you want an M5. If it's the straight line speed, then that can be easily achieved with theother. If it's the badge, then that's understandable as it's a lot more exclusive.

I think Top Gear hit the nail right on the head when they reviewed the F10. The gap justifying the price difference is just not there anymore, especially compared to the 550i. No doubt it's a better car, but how much better?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
I think a bigger question is why you want an M5. If it's the straight line speed, then that can be easily achieved with theother. If it's the badge, then that's understandable as it's a lot more exclusive.

I think Top Gear hit the nail right on the head when they reviewed the F10. The gap justifying the price difference is just not there anymore, especially compared to the 550i. No doubt it's a better car, but how much better?
The 535 and 550 need to be modified to match the M5 performance, stock for stock there is not contest really, the M5 is a 4 door super car. Everything from engine, suspension, even the seats are better in the M5 (I have driven several M5s and the multicontour M5 seats are better both for comfort and when you want to get "racy"). I have always loved the M5, even down to the exclusive "M" colors available (which I don't see the point of buying an M in a standard color).

I was fortunate in my previous E60 550 to have the adaptive side bolsters in the seats - that alone made a huge difference in the driving experience in the twisties.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #17
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
The 535 and 550 need to be modified to match the M5 performance, stock for stock there is not contest really, the M5 is a 4 door super car. Everything from engine, suspension, even the seats are better in the M5 (I have driven several M5s and the multicontour M5 seats are better both for comfort and when you want to get "racy"). I have always loved the M5, even down to the exclusive "M" colors available (which I don't see the point of buying an M in a standard color).

I was fortunate in my previous E60 550 to have the adaptive side bolsters in the seats - that alone made a huge difference in the driving experience in the twisties.
Of course the M5 is better. My point is, the speed can be addressed easily with just a JB4. For track purposes the M5 will obviously be better than other 5s, but at the same time you can find much cheaper cars that are much faster than the M5 around the track (Focus RS.) Big question is, what will the M5 be used for? It definitely is not a SUPERCAR! 10 years ago it could maybe match some of the supercar numbers, but times have changed. I recently got the car and driver lighning lap edition and the Mustang GT was faster around a track. Do you consider the Mustang a supercar? The M5 is a great and moderately fast touring car and it may be just what he's looking for. Supercars are in a different league.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #18
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
M5 is a 4 door super car. Everything from engine, suspension, even the seats are better in the M5:
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
I think a bigger question is why you want an M5.
Bigger question is why wouldn't you want one?
It's debatable whether it's supercar or not, but hard to argue it's somewhat of a benchmark for large sedans.
The answer is in quote above by PJinCA, both stock, it's just "better" car in stock form, and can be tuned and modified to improve just as well.

Now, how much better M5 is and is it worth it, that's impossible to answer. For pretty much any product out there law of diminishing return kicks in at some point. There's just no magic formula that enables you to calculate percentage of improvement (performance or luxury) per dollar.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #19
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Exactly.
Bigger question is why wouldn't you want one?
It's debatable whether it's supercar or not, but hard to argue it's somewhat of a benchmark for large sedans.
The answer is in quote above by PJinCA, both stock, it's just "better" car in stock form, and can be tuned and modified to improve just as well.

Now, how much better M5 is and is it worth it, that's impossible to answer. For pretty much any product out there law of diminishing return kicks in at some point. There's just no magic formula that enables you to calculate percentage of improvement (performance or luxury) per dollar.
Don't get me wrong, the M5 is clearly the better car. If he wants a reliable highway cruiser with some punch, the 550i will do the job and can get to the performance levels of the M5 quite easily in that regards. If he wants something that he may take to the track and still have the luxriousness of the other, then the M5 is obviously better.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      09-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #20
Sorai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Simply put, the day I bought my 550i I bought it on a whim. I woke up one morning and said "okay, today is the day I'm going to purchase my bimmer." And I did just that. The dealership I bought it from initially had an M5 and that 550i, but the M5 was unfortunately already sold. So I settled for the 550i and I loved every short-lived second of it. Now that I actually have the opportunity to take some time and study the market, I'd rather go for the M5. When I say its my dream car, I say that literally. I would take the M5 over any lambo/ferrari you could throw at me. I've been a bimmer fanatic at heart forever, so finally being fortunate enough to afford one is a blessing. Also, I'd rather wake up every morning to an M5 over a 550i truth be told.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #21
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

I had the same quandary and went with the 550 simply because of how much I'd be driving it, and inevitable higher running costs when it got outside of warranty.
I have had my car in the shop 3x since buying my Route 66 coverage and nothing yet has been covered, which is beyond frustrating. To my understanding, a full coverage CPO is the same way. It's not like the 0-50k true warranty from BMW where they fix every little niggling thing that happens.

I would still love an M5, I just barely scratch the surface of what the 550 can do performance-wise anyway, I'd feel almost bad for never getting to stretch the M5's legs unless I went on-track, but I'm getting a second car for that anyway, so kind of solves itself.
But M5s are M5s for a reason so if you can swing it, more power to you and we'll all cheer you on! The F10 M5s are simply amazing. Probably my second favorite after the E39.
      09-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #22
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If the M5 is your dream car, then the choice is obvious!

RSBro, what went wrong with your 550i? it seems like these aftermarket warranty companies include the items in their warranties that usually never have issues! I haven't had that experience yet, but I'm just waiting for it!
Appreciate 0