2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Backup Camera Non functioning

07-29-2023, 03:36 PM   #1
davidplatt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Backup Camera Non functioning

Hi all,

My first post here, I just picked up a 2014 550i a week or so ago w 86k miles. I've been under the impression that my car didn't have a backup camera. I have PDC though. At the dealership the salesman noted that by car DIDN'T have a backup camera but did have the PDC.

Yesterday I was poking around the car and when I lifted the trunk, what did I see? A backup camera. So I threw the car in reverse and when the PDC came up, there were options for the backup camera on the left, all greyed out. There are no warning messages and there's nothing saying "Reverse Camera Malfunction" like others have had. I checked MDecoder and sure enough the equipment group is there for the backup camera. I assume it wasn't functioning even when the dealer got it and they weren't even aware it was equipped with one.

So I guess my question is, where do I begin? I'd like to get it working. I plan to check the connections to the camera first. If those are good should I try replacing the camera? I also saw a thread where there was a bad connection in some random spot in the car which required a teardown of the entire interior, I won't be doing that. Lol.

Any suggestions or starting points would be appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 01:57 PM   #2
davidplatt
United_States
Rep

Update: Car also has the 270 degree camera system on it as well. Nothing happens when pressing the camera button next to the shifter for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 02:56 PM   #3
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Check what your car has by submitting your VIN https://bimmer.work/

If it shows than maybe you need to get it activated via coding with Bimmerlink or some other. Coding forum would help you with this.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 07:04 PM   #4
davidplatt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trian View Post
Check what your car has by submitting your VIN https://bimmer.work/

If it shows than maybe you need to get it activated via coding with Bimmerlink or some other. Coding forum would help you with this.
Yep, it's got equipment groups 3AG (Backup Camera) and 5DL (Surround View). I ordered a Carly when I got the car as it was strongly recommended to me by a fellow 5 series owner. I know with Carly you CAN do coding but that's about the extent of my knowledge there.
Appreciate 0