2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Sound quality not as good as X3

12-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Sound quality not as good as X3

I used my wide X3 for a week, and found that the standard speakers in her car are far better than the one on my F10, both cars are 2011 and with standard systems, could this ne down to the cabin space in the X3 makes the speakers far more effective I wonder, I even carried over the same music to make sure the difference was not down to mp3 format and all.

hence I am considering upgrading my speakers, any of you folks tried this? any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

I'd never by a car with standard sound system, and on the F10 the excellent HI-Fi prof (677) is not that expensive.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
I used my wide X3 for a week, and found that the standard speakers in her car are far better than the one on my F10, both cars are 2011 and with standard systems, could this ne down to the cabin space in the X3 makes the speakers far more effective I wonder, I even carried over the same music to make sure the difference was not down to mp3 format and all.

hence I am considering upgrading my speakers, any of you folks tried this? any suggestions.
And this is exactly why I always add the premium sound to my BMWs. My ex had one with standard and it couldn't compare to the hifi.
On that note, Bavsound will eventually build direct plug and play speaker and amp upgrades for the F10 but you may have to wait a little for it to get released
ww.bavsound.com
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
wessew10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X3; 2011 BMW 550i

Sound quality has so many nuances. The variables which can change perceived sound quality are: relative loudness, frequency balance, spacial imaging, relative distortion, speaker quality, quality of the electronics and how well the system was tuned to name a few. So, the sound quality issues you cite may not be entirely due to the speakers. If you try to mate new, higher quality speakers to a cheap head end or amplifier you might still be unhappy. Best to purchase a higher quality system at the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang

My wife got a stock 2013 x1 with standard hifi. I was blown away by the good sound quality.

Why is it better than a sedan? It all has to do with the market. The competitors to the x3 and x1 have good stock basic sound systems.

So, BMW had to beef it up in this area. The sedans, however, are known for crappy base sound systems and this is because the sedan's competition has crappy base sound systems too.

Finally, the real problem is generally not the speakers. Rather, it is the quality of the power amp and to some extent the preamp. It takes a near miracle of engineering to make a good power amp that is powered by 12 volts. And this is where most of the expense goes in the premium sound systems. Plus, BMW has lots of channels. You would be amazed how much extra channels add to the cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Comparing the standard sound systems between the X3 and the F10 is like comparing which car is bigger between the Mini Cooper and Fiat 500 If the OP even care slightly about the sound system, he should have bought the premium sound system.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

thanks folks for all feedbacks, I never went for the premium option because with my ex E60 the sound was just perfect for me, I play all my music via my ipod classic hence MP3 factor on its own will blow away a good portion of the quality I be getting with the premium sound, and for most I tend to listen to radio talk shows or best of all when driving no music just the sound of the car and the B roads I enjoy every day.
I was just surprised by the standard system on the X3.
Appreciate 0