2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums CANADA Deer Hunting

12-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Deer Hunting

I went deer hunting last night in Eastern Ontario. I know deer hunting season is now closed, it was after dark, and I didn't have a doe tag, but Baby (my 5er) decided she wanted venison anyway. Well, 8 minutes from home we bagged one. I don't think Baby realized how much of a personal sacrifice it was going to be - bumper, grill, hood, fender, light assembly...

She gets the appraisal tomorrow.
      12-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

Hope everyone involved is okay and if so post some pics. Deer, the other red meat. Maybe use this as an excuse to get a new ride. Either way car damage is always a pain to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB5ER View Post
Hope everyone involved is okay and if so post some pics. Deer, the other red meat. Maybe use this as an excuse to get a new ride. Either way car damage is always a pain to deal with.
I was fine - the deer wasn't. The estimate is just over $14,000 and won't get my car back until January (back ordered parts).

I don't have pictures as it was at night and now the front of the car has been dismantled - besides, it hurt too much seeing it such pain (the car) and I didn't want a reminder.
      12-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Sorry to hear about this, but glad you're OK.

Something about this time of the year and Eastern Ontario, same thing happened to me few years ago (not with BMW, but... irrelevant I suppose).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Well I got baby back yesterday afternoon. She sure did look shinny (and purdy) and back to her old self sitting waiting for inspection. They did a good job. The only exception was a small red colored scuff in the windshield that was to be buffed out. It turns out it was too deep to buff out. I didn't like it left like it was and the adjuster agreed to replace the windshield. So they ordered a new windshield and I expect to be back one day next week for them to replace it. Oh well!

BTW since winter has finally arrived and we had just had a small snowfall, the roads were dirty with salt etc. and baby only stayed shinny for about a block. While she now needs a bath again, the best I'll do is a light spray for awhile until I'm comfortable the new paint has cured.

Still, after having both a Cadillac XTS and Mini Cooper Countryman S (all drive) as rentals, it is good to get back behind the wheel of a Bimmer.

Bill

UPDATE: I got the final appraisal - $16,800 and that didn't include the car rentals. I've attached the appraisal.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Final Appraisal.pdf (592.3 KB, 2350 views)

Last edited by Sharbotcom; 02-02-2016 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
Night vision?

I have same year, model, has night vision camera : Does yours?
I confess I haven't used it more than a couple of times as a try-out, but I do a lot of travelling at night in moose/deer country and probably should.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #7
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowen View Post
I have same year, model, has night vision camera : Does yours?
I confess I haven't used it more than a couple of times as a try-out, but I do a lot of travelling at night in moose/deer country and probably should.
I don't have the night vision and the deer jumped from behind a rock-cut right into the car so I'm not sure if I would have been alerted in time anyway. Maybe! Who knows?
      04-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #8
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom View Post
I don't have the night vision and the deer jumped from behind a rock-cut right into the car so I'm not sure if I would have been alerted in time anyway. Maybe! Who knows?
Holy ... Bill,

thank goodness you are okay. I have not come onto this forum for a long time and so happened to just browse thru the most recent posts.

I assume you got your car back now and everything is good.

S.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #9
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Holy ... Bill,

thank goodness you are okay. I have not come onto this forum for a long time and so happened to just browse thru the most recent posts.

I assume you got your car back now and everything is good.

S.
Steve:

Ya, I got the car back and all is well...except I just noticed last week that the dealer removed my x-drive badges. They replaced the right fender and must of forgot to order the x-drive badge so the dirty buggers removed the one off of the left fender so it would match. Other than that it looks good and the car runs great. Tick, tock, tick, tock soon it will be G30 time

I hope all is well on your end also.

Bill
      04-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #10
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Hi bill,

I am doing fine. Thanks for asking.

So I guess you will be moving on to the next gen 5 series next yr. I am also hoping to move on to something else at end of this yr or early next yr.

Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom View Post
Steve:

Ya, I got the car back and all is well...except I just noticed last week that the dealer removed my x-drive badges. They replaced the right fender and must of forgot to order the x-drive badge so the dirty buggers removed the one off of the left fender so it would match. Other than that it looks good and the car runs great. Tick, tock, tick, tock soon it will be G30 time

I hope all is well on your end also.

Bill
Appreciate 0