2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Snap in adapters - information lacking on BMW website

03-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Snap in adapters - information lacking on BMW website

Has anyone noticed that the the BMW website does not seem to include information about which phones have snap in adapters available for them any more?
Am I missing it?

BMW have never seemed to make many sanp in adapters anyway but it would be good to know what they currently make and what the future plans are. I aprpeciate they can only really do this for phones they are sure will sell in large numbers to justify them making a snap in adapter.

Have they dropped developing new ones now?

I've used them in my previous E39 in order to charge the phone but more importantly attach to the external aerial to give unterrupted reception.
I have one in my current F10 for the Nokia 6303 (old phone I know!) which works faultlessly but was wondering about a newer phone and one of the criteria would be that there would be a snap in adapter available for the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e MSport

Try this: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...ng%20bluetooth

The text reads ...

"Snap-in adapter, basic*

A safe and secure docking system for current Apple, Nokia, Motorola and Sony Ericsson mobiles, and RIM BlackBerry® devices. The snap-in adapter is phone-specific and easily interchangeable. In conjunction with the Bluetooth interface, it enables you to charge the mobile phone battery. An external aerial improves reception.
Available for 5 Series Sedan from 03/10, 5 Series Touring from 09/10"
2013 X1 3.5 MSport
1998 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi524TD View Post
Try this: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...ng%20bluetooth

The text reads ...

"Snap-in adapter, basic*

A safe and secure docking system for current Apple, Nokia, Motorola and Sony Ericsson mobiles, and RIM BlackBerry® devices. The snap-in adapter is phone-specific and easily interchangeable. In conjunction with the Bluetooth interface, it enables you to charge the mobile phone battery. An external aerial improves reception.
Available for 5 Series Sedan from 03/10, 5 Series Touring from 09/10"
Thanks for that. The BMW site is still lacking in some information.
samsung seem to a very popular brand at the moment but BMW do not appear to make any basic snap in adatpers for their phones.

Anyone know what BMW's future plans are as regards these, what models they might be planning to introduce. the only one I think is due this year is the iphone 5.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Thanks for that. The BMW site is still lacking in some information.
samsung seem to a very popular brand at the moment but BMW do not appear to make any basic snap in adatpers for their phones.
Anyone know what BMW's future plans are as regards these, what models they might be planning to introduce. the only one I think is due this year is the iphone 5.
Your dealer (or one that has a saavy parts/accessory department) may be the best source of information and pricing for snap-in adapters. You are probably aware that BMW is adding Android to its connected / BMW apps integration (July '13 timetable) so an iPhone may not be "required" to exploit those extra features. And I recall reading (Google took me there last month) BMW will partner with Samsung - they had to pick one and I guess they are betting they got it right since Google's real interest, post acquisition, in Motorola mobility (ie their phones) is an unknown ??

That said, because cell phone form factors change more often than I change my socks (most recent Samsung phones will change with the newest being released in the USA this month) I have not bought the snap-ins - and I've have BT BMWs for more than 10 years. I realize it's a little inconvenient to plug in a power cord and the shark fin antennae would improve signal bit it's not hampered my use of the phone.
2013 X1 3.5 MSport
1998 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
ob2ob2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G32 630d GT xDrive Msports

In the example of Apple iPhone 4/4s, the apple 30-pin connector does not have any pin related to antenna. The iPhone 5 lighting connector does not have any pin for that either. Apple does not support the bluetooth rSAP profile (remote SIM Access Profile), how does the snap-in adapter help the signal quality? Simply by contacting the side rim of the phone? (Remember Apple's Antenna-Gate back in 2010?)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

From what I've read, all of the snap-in adapters use an "inductive antenna connection" and not a direct electrical connection, regardless of which phone they are for. How well it works I don't know, as I think those snap-in adapters are horribly overpriced considering how little benefit they offer over just plugging the USB cable in.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep

Snap-in adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post
From what I've read, all of the snap-in adapters use an "inductive antenna connection" and not a direct electrical connection, regardless of which phone they are for. How well it works I don't know, as I think those snap-in adapters are horribly overpriced considering how little benefit they offer over just plugging the USB cable in.
\

Try this info >>>

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...nterId=2129501
2013 X1 3.5 MSport
1998 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi524TD View Post
That link says there is "a connection" with the roof antenna, which there may well be, but certainly not an electrical one. The iPhone has never provided an external antenna connection, either with the older 30 pin dock connector, or the newer Lightning connector. So it's inductively coupled.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep

interesting, and this was my main reason for a snap in adapter to provide a good signal.
I know when I first had a snap in adapter for my E39, it was obvious when it was plugged into the aerial as the signal strength bar increased so i knew it was working.
I've had a Nokia 6303 snap in adapter practically from day one in my F10 and have never lost a call since using it.(many people don't even realise I'm in the car!)
I just want that good signal quality and it also serves as a good holder for the phone.
Appreciate 0