2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Front Collision Warning, Pedestrian, & Front Camera Warning

04-30-2023, 08:19 PM   #1
EVO_F10
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Front Collision Warning, Pedestrian, & Front Camera Warning

Hey everyone,

I am new to the BMW world and just got my 2014 535i today. She has some wear and tear but is in overall good shape.

I was hoping to see if anyone has any experience with the warning codes below and is able to point me in the right direction to get them fixed. Interestingly, the side cameras were working when I drove the car earlier, but when I pulled up to my driveway, they stopped. It also looks like all three issues might be connected somehow.

• Front Collision Warning
  • Pedestrian
  • Front Camera Warning

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated!
-EVO.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 06:39 AM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Those 3 warnings are related because they are KAFAS. It could be many things that cause it. Bad camera, loose connection, FSC codes. Do you know if that feature was added to the vehicle or they are original to the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 01:59 PM   #3
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Did you happen to drive through heavy rain?
Happens to me all the time when I drive in a downpour. Usually everything comes back to normal in a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:24 PM   #4
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
Did you happen to drive through heavy rain?
Happens to me all the time when I drive in a downpour. Usually everything comes back to normal in a few hours.
What he said.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 07:24 PM   #5
EVO_F10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
Those 3 warnings are related because they are KAFAS. It could be many things that cause it. Bad camera, loose connection, FSC codes. Do you know if that feature was added to the vehicle or they are original to the vehicle?
Hey, Hoa.

These features are original to the vehicle. From what I can tell, the vehicle is completely stock and unmodded.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 07:31 PM   #6
EVO_F10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trian View Post
What he said.
Yep! It was poring. I will have to check again tomorrow.

On a different note, I spoke with a certified BMW dealership today, and they offered me a 5-year, bumper-to-bumper warranty for a little under 6k. They said issues like these would be covered under the warranty. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 10:07 PM   #7
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO_F10 View Post
If it’s due to rain, I suspect something is getting shorted out due to moisture. It may be due to a clogged drain pipe or something. It is not normal to have this issue due to rain. I drive 50K miles a year and never had an issue with it during heavy rain. Rain where I can’t even see 5 feet in front of me and no errors.

KAFAS system is very simple. Camera on windshield, ran to a module near your brake and gas pedal. Only have a few wires to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 07:57 AM   #8
walmark
Apprentice
Rep

From my experience, the radar sensor in the bumper detects when it is “dirty” and readings become unreliable. This happens when it is either covered in mud, or when the rain pours so hard that the signal reflections confuse it and make it think it’s contaminated. The whole ACC/Collision/Pedestrian warning system shuts off with an notification. It does periodic self test though, and it will usually come back and start working once the offending condition is no longer present (rain eased off or the sensor was cleaned).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 08:01 AM   #9
walmark
Apprentice
Rep

Quote:

On a different note, I spoke with a certified BMW dealership today, and they offered me a 5-year, bumper-to-bumper warranty for a little under 6k. They said issues like these would be covered under the warranty. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on it.
Not the best deal, but not bad either. As long as they don’t get you on mileage it is worth considering.
It really boils down to your risk tolerance and how much is peace of mind worth to you. (For the record: I’m under MaxCare warranty).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 05:17 PM   #10
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:

Not worth it on a n55. I have yet to even break even on mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 05:25 PM   #11
EVO_F10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
If it’s due to rain, I suspect something is getting shorted out due to moisture. It may be due to a clogged drain pipe or something. It is not normal to have this issue due to rain. I drive 50K miles a year and never had an issue with it during heavy rain. Rain where I can’t even see 5 feet in front of me and no errors.

KAFAS system is very simple. Camera on windshield, ran to a module near your brake and gas pedal. Only have a few wires to it.
I’m hoping that may be the case, I still need to check on the car. But to provide a little more context. I purchased the car from an out-of-state dealership. The car was then transported via open carrier. The day I accepted the delivery, it was pouring out, and it’s still raining two days later. With all those elements at play, I'm hoping it made the sensors glitch. But I guess I will know when it stops raining.

I will most likely move forward with the warranty just for my peace of mind. I don’t think it’s a great deal either, but not horrible. The car only has 71k.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 05:27 PM   #12
EVO_F10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Not worth it on a n55. I have yet to even break even on mine.
Nice. What did you use your warranty on?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 05:33 PM   #13
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I will most likely move forward with the warranty just for my peace of mind. I don’t think it’s a great deal either, but not horrible. The car only has 71k.
If you are getting extended warranty, consider Route 66. They are pretty good.
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2023, 05:34 PM   #14
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Nice. What did you use your warranty on?
It needed to be used for the usual oil leaks on the N55. Had a radiator hose start seeping but that wasn’t covered.

Not really interested in looking for problems/fixing what’s not broke, so it may be a loss. We’ll see. Still got a few years. I’m sure if it was a N63, it would have paid for itself by now.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 01:28 AM   #15
ICBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I am new to the BMW world and just got my 2014 535i today. She has some wear and tear but is in overall good shape.

I was hoping to see if anyone has any experience with the warning codes below and is able to point me in the right direction to get them fixed. Interestingly, the side cameras were working when I drove the car earlier, but when I pulled up to my driveway, they stopped. It also looks like all three issues might be connected somehow.

• Front Collision Warning
  • Pedestrian
  • Front Camera Warning

-EVO.
I'm troubleshooting a similar issue which just started happening after a Windshield replacement. Thinking they didn't or incorrectly calibrated the issue. Is your issue intermittent?
      07-20-2023, 03:56 PM   #16
Easymoney
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535i

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Front Collision Warning
Pedestrian
Front Camera Warning

-EVO.
Same thing happened to me today. My conditions were the complete opposite it’s been at least 90+ everyday for the past 2 weeks or so. Is there anything to be concerned about? I do have extended warranty and mine is a 2016 535i. Have you had any issues since it happened?
Appreciate 0