2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535xi and 550I test drive observations

12-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
why13
Private
Rep
Drives:

535xi and 550I test drive observations

my 535xi and 550 test drive observations
1) 535xi with std suspension was surprisingly very good. The 535 motor sound was nice and steering feel very good. Std seats were comfy and the car handles well with awd. The 8 speed was very responsive and downshifted multiple gears with no problem.
2) 550I was with sport package, ventilated seats and sport auto transmission. The 550 torque was awesome but felt the torque was overwhelming rear tire grip. The 550I felt heavier than the 535xi. Comfort seats had lots of adjustments but felt a little harder than sts seats. The most disappointing aspect on the 550 i was the steering feel, it felt artificial compared to the one in 535xi.

So few 'Qs to fellow 5 series owners
1) are my observations accurate?
2) Are COmfort seats better than std seats?
3) is Sport auto transmission faster than std 8 speed auto?
4) Is ARS worth the $2500?

Thanks for your feedback
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
radarguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440ix, 2023 X3 M40ix

1) are my observations accurate?
The tires are very different (A/S vs. summer and 45 profile vs 40). Also the X-drive has hydraulic steering vs. electric on the i. Either difference or the combination of both differences will make the steering feel different. I did not notice that comfort seats are harder than standard seats. I drove a 550i sport on the track and didn't feel that that the tires were particularly overwhelmed by the torque if you modulated the throttle properly. IMHO the 535 is adequate and wonderful for any "normal" street driving situation. The 550i is heavier, but I didn't notice the difference.

2) Are Comfort seats better than std seats?
Yes. Much better. More adjustments and the thigh support is very useful. I wouldn't get an F10 without them. The massage feature is slightly useful on long trips.

3) is Sport auto transmission faster than std 8 speed auto?
Theoretically Sport auto transmission would be faster because of different shift point mapping. I never felt a difference.

4) Is ARS worth the $2500?
If you like the 535 with standard suspension, ARS is not worth $2500
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
F11-Diesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 530 D

Imo;
1, no, you are comparing apples and pears, the wheel/tires being of great importance on the driving feel, as is the overall weight, you will probably be even more impressed with the lighter 535i.
2, yes, if buying a new 5 series get the comforts.
3, it is not a big price difference and worth it.
4, i do not think you will ever miss it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
joey5622
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Are the massage seats a 550 only option? Or is it euro only?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F11-Diesel View Post
1, no, you are comparing apples and pears, the wheel/tires being of great importance on the driving feel, as is the overall weight, you will probably be even more impressed with the lighter 535i.
Wheels and tires make a difference in feel, the same for road surfaces.

There is a difference in weight, and every time you add or remove a passenger (or driver) you're probably erasing any differences you might feel. In other words, differences in weight between the 535/550 don't make any tangible difference, but if you're that attuned to the differences, the difference in power will completely overshadow it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
why13
Private
Rep
Drives:

So looks like my observation of 535xi steering being more responsive as it is hydraulic seems right. If ddc dampers in sport are pretty good in containing body roll around corners then I can skip ARS. I am more then happy with the 535 power for street driving and engine tone.

I was considering an x3 35 as I keep hearing an suv is more comfy getting in and out on a daily basis and more comfy on long drives due to upright seat position in SUVs. Is this true? Know the 5 is more luxurious
With reduced wind and road noise compared to an x3
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by why13 View Post
So looks like my observation of 535xi steering being more responsive as it is hydraulic seems right.
There are generally 3 complaints you hear about the F10 electric power assist steering:

1) Numb on center: This feeling comes from two things, first and foremost that the electric assist is only on when you are moving the wheels, which is the reason BMW put it in the F10. The other has to do with multi-link vs struts, see below.

2) Less feedback: The F10 has multi-link front suspension, past 5's had struts. While there is still a direct connection from the steering wheel to the wheels, the different suspension transmits vibration (or road feel) differently. Plus there is not the feedback through an always on hydraulic system. Less? Maybe, depending on what you're used to. Different, yes.

3) Light steering: Some say the steering has too light a feel, as in too much boost. I don't see this one as much, but some say so. If you have DHP or other options that allow you to change programming (sport modes and such) then the steering changes as you move up to sport and sport+.

Haven't ever heard anyone say it is less responsive, in fact there's more than a decade of research out there from multiple car companies that show that the EPS is more responsive. If all you've driven in a while are BMW's with struts, you're more likely to notice it. If you've driven other makes, particularly cars with double a-arms/multi-link/etc. you'll probably feel right at home and/or even like it better.
Appreciate 0