2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media IE92: F10 M5 front end conversion!

03-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #177
IE92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Looks fantastic but I agree with some prior comments. Didn't realize it was a 528, either. While I applaud the effort, the color, everything... it just seems silly.

BMW sells the M Sport kit as an accessory. They do not sell the M5 kit in the same fashion.
So the previous argument about converting to M Sport is pretty much invalid.
wdimagineer - You are saying it's "silly" to put M5 parts on a non-M5 because they are not offered as an accessory.

Quote:
You and me both. Though I chose to opt for the 550xi this time around. I wanted AWD.

I think the OP's car looks great. It would totally fool me into thinking it's an M5. And that is the issue. In fact, when I first saw the pictures of the LTBMW meet, I wondered if BMW actually brought one to show off as they did at a Cars & Coffee in NJ a month or so ago.

When I realized it wasn't it just seemed very poseur to me. I don't know the OP but I can only imagine that he gets a certain bit of satisfaction cruising down the road and people thinking it's the real thing.

Had my bumper been screwed up (and I didn't already have the M Sport package) I would've opted for M Sport. My Stage 3 550 will probably beat the M5 - or at least Dinan says so. Even with the power to back up the nameplate it's something that never crossed my mind with all of the retrofits I've been doing. And I have the money to do it, if I wanted.

Back when I drove VAG cars, I would never understand those who would tons of money to do widebody conversions to make their A4 look like the RS4, etc. I just bought the real thing.
And here you're saying that it's "poseur" to add M5 parts, and it never crossed your mind - even with all the retrofits you've been doing. If that is your opinion then I totally respect it. But how do you explain the fact that you ordered the M5 diffuser for your own car?

Name:  photo.PNG
Views: 12042
Size:  126.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #178
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

This thread has a lot of "hey everyone look at me, i am rich and could afford this and that" people.

I figured moving away from the 3 series forum would end some the nonsense I have to read about over there. Turns out its much of the same shiet here but people are just more arrogant because they (or family) have money. Pretty disgusting...

Alan
      03-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #179
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #180
kyheang12
First Lieutenant
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: F10 535I

GOT CAUGHT!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #181
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IE92
Quote:
Looks fantastic but I agree with some prior comments. Didn't realize it was a 528, either. While I applaud the effort, the color, everything... it just seems silly.

BMW sells the M Sport kit as an accessory. They do not sell the M5 kit in the same fashion.
wdimagineer - You are saying it's "silly" to put M5 parts on a non-M5 because they are not offered as an accessory.

Quote:
You and me both. Though I chose to opt for the 550xi this time around. I wanted AWD.

I think the OP's car looks great. It would totally fool me into thinking it's an M5. And that is the issue. In fact, when I first saw the pictures of the LTBMW meet, I wondered if BMW actually brought one to show off as they did at a Cars & Coffee in NJ a month or so ago.

When I realized it wasn't it just seemed very poseur to me. I don't know the OP but I can only imagine that he gets a certain bit of satisfaction cruising down the road and people thinking it's the real thing.

Had my bumper been screwed up (and I didn't already have the M Sport package) I would've opted for M Sport. My Stage 3 550 will probably beat the M5 - or at least Dinan says so. Even with the power to back up the nameplate it's something that never crossed my mind with all of the retrofits I've been doing. And I have the money to do it, if I wanted.

Back when I drove VAG cars, I would never understand those who would tons of money to do widebody conversions to make their A4 look like the RS4, etc. I just bought the real thing.
And here you're saying that it's "poseur" to add M5 parts, and it never crossed your mind - even with all the retrofits you've been doing. If that is your opinion then I totally respect it. But how do you explain the fact that you ordered the M5 diffuser for your own car?

Attachment 663648
Since the diffuser didnt fit. Then it never crossed his mind to copy an m5 rear. That would be poseur!

And mind you, he can afford to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #182
KinG12sKy
First Lieutenant
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: Evoque, RR Vogue AutoBio, M4

LMAO at ppl who talk shit!! A F10 is an F10 no matter wad.. you want a beast get a GTR.. ppl do wad they want to their car.. If you love cars u would appreciate the effort ppl put into modding their car.. Jus cox u cant do it, dont hate! =)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #183
Tukewl4yoass
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

Attachment 663648[/QUOTE]

Mama.. That man got burned!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 05:17 AM   #184
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

So the moral apparently is that it is ok to have the rear of your car look like an M5, but not the front... ??!!

IMHO the car looks great, and in some way or other EVERYONE who modifies the appearance of their car (be it M5 parts, AC Schnitzer parts, Hartge parts etc) do it because they want it to look more appealing to themselves AND to the onlookers. Most people who have modified the appearance of their car also want others to appreciate it. So, in that way, most modifiers are "poseurs"... Or, should we rather say that this is a different word for being aware/interested in the esthetical side of cars (or other matters).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #185
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i MSport, F15 X5 MSport

That dude got John Stewarted.

Look; my F10 is at the body shop right now. Long story short; a guy hit it so now it's getting fixed and the guy's insurance company provides a 'rental' while mine is in the shop. It's Hyundai Accent that looks something like this:

Everyone on here be happy and thankful they have the luxury of driving around in an F10. Stop judging people for what they do to their cars.

Someone earlier in the thread made the asinine comparison that this M5 body mod is akin to someone walking around with a fake Coach or Luis Vuitton bag. First off; if someone wants to do that... more power to them. They have an eye for style or like something and can't afford the $1200 bag then they get something they can afford.

But second; it's not like it's a fake F10. It's still a damn Luis Vuitton...

Shut the hell up haters.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #186
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by IE92
Quote:

Quote:

Attachment 663648
The diffuser has no M badging on it whatsoever. I was never fond of the two-tone M diffuser. From my point of view there's no real possibility of anybody confusing my car for the M5 based on a diffuser alone.

My car already had twin exhaust and with the Dinan it added quad tips. It was just an experiment I thought I'd try. It didn't work and I sold the diffuser.

Your car looks identical to the M5. As I said I thought it was the moment I saw pictures.

That's the difference here. Good job trying to making an issue out of nothing. There's a post from me saying that I was specifically trying to not make a fake M5.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-598640.html
      03-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #187
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
This thread has a lot of "hey everyone look at me, i am rich and could afford this and that" people.

I figured moving away from the 3 series forum would end some the nonsense I have to read about over there. Turns out its much of the same shiet here but people are just more arrogant because they (or family) have money. Pretty disgusting...

Alan
m3post is the worst in regards 2 that. over there '///M' stands 4: misery. smh

anyways, this's a discussion forum -jus statin the obvious- n ppl will say wut they want no matter how harsh or degradin they sound.
they'll defend their personal preferences 2 the grave regardless of them bein ridiculous n contradictin...
it's an insecurity issue imo.

"if u don't hav anythin good 2 say, don't say anythin @ all"

p.s. i'm not sayin this 2 a specific person, jus makin a point.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #188
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

IE92 - Instead of fighting... Your car looks great. Maybe I'm a little jealous. If it makes you happy, I'm happy.

Like I said originally when I first saw the pics I thought it was the real deal. When I found out it wasn't I was disappointed.

I would never do it. But I give you props for being the first.
      03-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #189
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Quote:
IE92 - Instead of fighting... Your car looks great. Maybe I'm a little jealous. If it makes you happy, I'm happy.

Like I said originally when I first saw the pics I thought it was the real deal. When I found out it wasn't I was disappointed.

IE92 was never fighting with you and I appreciate his response to your disrespectful bashes on him calling him a "posuer" and belittling people cause they have 528's. In the end everyone here are all car enthusiast one way or another and it all goes back to the famous quote " to each their own"

Happy modding my friends and remember stay classy
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #190
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
IE92 was never fighting with you and I appreciate his response to your disrespectful bashes on him calling him a "posuer" and belittling people cause they have 528's. In the end everyone here are all car enthusiast one way or another and it all goes back to the famous quote " to each their own"

Amen...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #191
PR_F10_535
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER
Quote:

+2
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #192
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post

I never belittled anybody for having a 528, for the record. I think a few other posters did that but not me.

Let's see...

Quote:
I'm not hell bent on the fact that it's a 528. You buy what you can afford and it's clear that the owner enjoys the vehicle and has done some great work to it.

I just feel the modifications don't suit the car. In particular the quad-tip exhaust. And, without question, the M5 front end.

I'm not discrediting the owner's work, as I think it looks amazing. It's just my opinion.
And...

Quote:

BMW sells the M Sport kit as an accessory. They do not sell the M5 kit in the same fashion. So the previous argument about converting to M Sport is pretty much invalid.
Where exactly am I bashing? I praised the guy multiple times and offered my opinion that the mods don't suit the car. This is a discussion forum. He posted pictures and opened up his work to critique from the community.

As for my "poseur" comment - maybe it was harsh, but it still stands. When I first saw that car I thought it was an M5. If I saw it on the road the reaction would be the same. It's not. And without actually stopping to talk to the guy, I'd never know. So he's getting the "looks" without the actual vehicle to back it up. Why buy an M5 then? Just buy the body parts at a fraction of the price. And then dilute the image of M cars. If I owned the F10 M5 I'd be annoyed by this.

Same thing happened recently at a local BMW meet in my area. A guy with a 535 showed up equipped with the OEM 550 exhaust. With a debadged rear, there was no way to tell one car from the other, since he swapped wheels. While he didn't admit that he was trying to pass it off as a 550, why else would you do it? Put an aftermarket exhaust on! By the time you factor in the parts, labor, modifying the stock exhaust, etc. it's probably the same price... It just trickles down from there... and makes someone like me who bought a 550 upset. Again -- pay to play.

I fully support modifications and all. I just take offense when someone diminishes my expensive investment. You want an M5? Go buy one. 550? Same thing.

I suspect this will start happening a lot more now that someone has shown it can be accomplished. I guess no matter how much I argue my point it's not going to change anybody's opinion. The OP isn't going to pull the parts off. And those who think I'm "hating" aren't about to wake up, either.

So... whatever.

Last edited by wdimagineer; 03-24-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #193
CheapChips
Rep
Drives: FD3S

I find it hilarious that there are some people who are talking crap about the OPs conversion. You guys are something else, it's HIS car, HIS money... Drive your M-Sport, M5 and keep that smug face.

OP- Nice work!... enjoy it in good health.

- I don't even own a BMW, I just like reading/checking out different cars on different forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #194
IE92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigimaster24 View Post
Don't Hate fellas.... Appreciate!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
i <3 hataz, dey iz muh motivataz.

btw i'm really look'n 4ward 2 seein wut morr u hav in store on this beaut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost170 View Post
looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZN335 View Post
Evan I love your car!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart@AUTOcouture View Post
My fav F10, awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapChips View Post
I find it hilarious that there are some people who are talking crap about the OPs conversion. You guys are something else, it's HIS car, HIS money... Drive your M-Sport, M5 and keep that smug face.

OP- Nice work!... enjoy it in good health.

- I don't even own a BMW, I just like reading/checking out different cars on different forums.
Thank you all very much for the kind words!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #195
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The diffuser has no M badging on it whatsoever. I was never fond of the two-tone M diffuser. From my point of view there's no real possibility of anybody confusing my car for the M5 based on a diffuser alone.

My car already had twin exhaust and with the Dinan it added quad tips. It was just an experiment I thought I'd try. It didn't work and I sold the diffuser.

Your car looks identical to the M5. As I said I thought it was the moment I saw pictures.

That's the difference here. Good job trying to making an issue out of nothing. There's a post from me saying that I was specifically trying to not make a fake M5.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-598640.html
The M5 rear diffuser is just as unique to the M5 as the front fenders and bumper are. To the average Joe, the front end of the M5 and M-sport vehicles are easily confused. So he would just as easily mistake one for the other. Same with the rear diffuser, the average guy doesn't know the difference between a 550 M-sport diffuser and a M5 diffuser.

For the BMW enthusiast, the difference is obvious both at the front AND rear end of the vehicle. So a BMW enthusiast following your car (with your intended M5 diffuser modification) would be pretty sure that he had a M5 ahead of him. Regardless of lack of M badges on the diffuser (after all the BMW enthusiast knows what the M5 diffuser looks like).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #196
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

back on topic, i asked this on the 1st page regardin ur conversion:

r u gonna do the same 2 ur rear n mirrors?
if so, might as well get m-sport/m5 sideskirts too...

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #197
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
back on topic, i asked this on the 1st page regardin ur conversion:

r u gonna do the same 2 ur rear n mirrors?
if so, might as well get m-sport/m5 sideskirts too...
Interestingly, the F10 M5 concept had the basic (non-M) F10 sideskirts and also the standard mirrors... As the car is now, it actually resembles the M5 Concept car more than the production M5.

Last edited by Boss330; 03-28-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #198
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^^^ sideview mirrors as well.
4 sum reason bmw usually holds back on minor details, like those 2, on concept versions.

Appreciate 0