2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) The Ultimate BMW F10 Order Tracking Guide!
Closed Thread

07-23-2005, 10:18 AM   #133
cinci325
Rep
Drives: 06-325

I got to know the people at the BMW store a little late. They seem to have a larger, more focused organization. Originally I priced a couple of cars on their lot and at Sweeney. Sweeney was about $500 less. At that point, I had Sweeney search for a car that was already enroute, that fit my needs. After the fact, the BMW store came back and tried to match the price, but I felt obligated to purchase from Sweeney. Hopefully, service at Sweeney will be just as good. I am moving to Chicago next year anyway...will have to find a dealer there. Good luck on your delivery next week.
      07-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #134
rakked
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY3Drvr
My car was on the Isolde. Docked on the 17th, and car is now at the VPC according to the OC. Hope the wait won't take too long. Any updates on your end?
CA told me that my car will be ready for delivery between the 27th and 29th. I'm in MD.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 04:33 PM   #135
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinci325
I got to know the people at the BMW store a little late. They seem to have a larger, more focused organization. Originally I priced a couple of cars on their lot and at Sweeney. Sweeney was about $500 less. At that point, I had Sweeney search for a car that was already enroute, that fit my needs. After the fact, the BMW store came back and tried to match the price, but I felt obligated to purchase from Sweeney. Hopefully, service at Sweeney will be just as good. I am moving to Chicago next year anyway...will have to find a dealer there. Good luck on your delivery next week.
Check your private msgs. Thanks.
      07-23-2005, 07:25 PM   #136
dennis46c
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 525xi;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Jon
Mine is on the Ingolstadt - Wilmington Shipping Co. and is now coming into Chas. a day early according to the Port of Chas. shipping site - Sunday the 24th. This definitely increases my chances of a pickup for next weekend.
My car came off the ship on the 18th and arrived at the BMW Store late last night (Friday) so it looks like you getting your car next weekend is likely.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 08:17 PM   #137
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis46c
My car came off the ship on the 18th and arrived at the BMW Store late last night (Friday) so it looks like you getting your car next weekend is likely.
Through Charleston I assume? If so, 4 days. Wow! Did you pick up today?
      07-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #138
dennis46c
Rep

Quote:
Through Charleston I assume? If so, 4 days. Wow! Did you pick up today?
Through Charleston, it was on the Franconia. Picking it up Tuesday evening, the CA offered Monday and since we were busy today I didn't ask, we went with Tuesday since we're not sure we can make it on Monday. We are driving by tomorrow to take a look, hopefully it still outside.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2005, 07:20 PM   #139
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, more wait for me. Dealer said my car is arriving on the 28th, not the 24th, as we thought, which means a late next week pickup (hopefully). Strange though - I still don't show up in W&W and port of chas. shows no boats coming in on the 28th. I'm a bit confused.
      07-26-2005, 08:38 AM   #140
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Well, more wait for me. Dealer said my car is arriving on the 28th, not the 24th, as we thought, which means a late next week pickup (hopefully). Strange though - I still don't show up in W&W and port of chas. shows no boats coming in on the 28th. I'm a bit confused.
The 800 lady is now saying my wife's car is at the port awaiting a shipping vessel (car carrier to Charleston VPC), and i know it was on the Ingolstadt. That said, we're in for a long wait as we won't be able to make it to the Performance Center until Aug 29th for her delivery. I wonder where they're going to "stash" it for a month?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2005, 09:01 AM   #141
dennis46c
Rep

Any chance your car is due at the dealership on the 28th, not the port? Timing is about right based on my car, that we did pick up last night and it is awesome. Also, my arrived on the Franconia and I'm pretty sure it didn't show up on the Charleston schedule until a week before it arrived. Did the CA tell you the name of the ship?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2005, 05:44 PM   #142
Jess
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I remember someone mentioning that the 1-800 status changed from "in transit" to "waiting for a shipping vessel". How much longer do I have to wait when the status changed to that? I assume no more than a week is when I can pick up my car from the dealer?
      07-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #143
Socko
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess
I remember someone mentioning that the 1-800 status changed from "in transit" to "waiting for a shipping vessel". How much longer do I have to wait when the status changed to that? I assume no more than a week is when I can pick up my car from the dealer?
Likely within a week. At least that was my experience.
      07-26-2005, 06:22 PM   #144
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess
OK, sorry to bore everyone, but now the dealer says that the car is in port today. Since I don't show up in W&W, my car HAD to be on the Ingolstadt in Chas. because no other non-W&W boat was in port. For some reason, he can't tell me the name of the ship. I just gotta assume it was on the Ingolstadt. Anyway, 800 and OC still say In Transit. In any event, it seems to be on the ground in the U.S. somewhere, which is a very good thing. Keeping my fingers crossed. . . .
      07-26-2005, 07:22 PM   #145
Jess
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socko
Likely within a week. At least that was my experience.
Thanks!
      07-26-2005, 08:17 PM   #146
deburn
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 ERed MT for lease transfer

my CA called me yesterday to say that my car was going to be ready for pickup on the 22nd! I was so bummed out - my car was completed on 7/8. feeling a little better now and planning my trip to the Performance Center in my current car and back in my new car.
      07-26-2005, 09:38 PM   #147
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deburn
my CA called me yesterday to say that my car was going to be ready for pickup on the 22nd! I was so bummed out - my car was completed on 7/8. feeling a little better now and planning my trip to the Performance Center in my current car and back in my new car.
What a bummer. Why so long? I stopped by the Spartanburg plant yesterday on my way back from vacation. The museum is very very small and I didn't have time for a plant tour. They had a ride and drive going on with a bunch of loaded z4s and x5s. Weird, there were no signs for the PDC that I saw. Maybe you have to ask. The plant is very large and the whole complex takes up TONS of space. I'll visit again when I have more time.
      07-27-2005, 07:33 AM   #148
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deburn
Sounds about right. My wife's car was on the Ingolstadt, which arrived on June 24th. The first available slot at the PCD was for Aug. 11, which we couldn't do. They then offered Aug. 22, which again we couldn't do. Finally, we were able to convince them to hold her car for an Aug. 29 delivery. We'll fly down, and drive back up on the Blue Ridge Pkwy.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2005, 10:29 AM   #149
agrusczak
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

For those of you have just ordered a car, here is the timeline I experienced with a recent order of a 330i:

Sat 5/21 - placed deposit with dealership
Mon 5/23 - car was officially ordered from BMW
Mon 6/6 - car was scheduled for production
Tue 6/7 - car went into production
Tue 6/16 - car was waiting transport
Thu 6/17 - car arrived at shipping terminal
Fri 6/18 - car was loaded onto the vessel 'Turandot'
Thu 6/23 - car was enroute to the US
Fri 7/1 - car arrived at the port of NY
Sat 7/2 - car was released to BMW processing center
Tue 7/5 - processing center officially acknowledged arrival of car
Car waited for software updates at this point
Wed 7/20 - car arrived at dealership in NY state
Thu 7/21 - I picked up the car

So, in summary, the process took two months. If it was not for the last
minute software updates, the process probably would have taken a week
less. In my mind, it was worth the wait to avoid any potential problems.

A couple of comments about the BMW owner's circle web site: It's OK,
but not great. If you are used to tracking packages on the UPS or FedEX
web site, don't expect BMW's site to be as accurate (yet). Your initial
Owners Circle home page will almost never have the current information.
If you click on the link to track your order, that information will be a bit more
up to date, but it will still be a bit behind. For example, it showed that my
car finally arrived at the dealer several days after I had already picked it
up. Also, the link for 'Order Detail' may not be accurate. I had ordered
my 330i with the Sport and Cold Weather packages, and the car did arrive
with these options, but the order detail did not indicate this.

I hope you find this info useful. I'll try to post pics of the car in the Monaco Blue thread as soon as I can. My car arrived with *zero* defects and it's been an absolute pleasure to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2005, 01:55 PM   #150
NYCKid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Is anyone else schduled for production on July 29th?

Today the 800 number told me that my car is in the "paint shop."

I'm in New Jersey and praying that I have my car by the third week in August so I can enjoy the last days of summer/fall before the roads get messy.

I'm going nuts waiting! When will the agony end???
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2005, 02:41 PM   #151
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikes111
Here you go.. charts for decoding your VIN

I have a 5 for the restraint code...what is that?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2005, 10:09 PM   #152
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

OC is showing my car at the processing center in SC. Thank goodness! I figure if the OC shows that, it is likely already on the way to the dealer (assuming no problems in shipping). It also confirms my car had to be on the Ingolstadt arriving on 7/24. The dealer is right on my way to work, so I'll have to keep an eye out for a truck unloading my car the next day or so. Cool.
      07-28-2005, 03:43 PM   #153
dennis46c
Rep

Quote:
OC is showing my car at the processing center in SC. Thank goodness! I figure if the OC shows that, it is likely already on the way to the dealer (assuming no problems in shipping). It also confirms my car had to be on the Ingolstadt arriving on 7/24. The dealer is right on my way to work, so I'll have to keep an eye out for a truck unloading my car the next day or so. Cool.
Assuming the same timetable as mine a week earlier, it should be unloaded tomorrow (Friday) at the BMW Store. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #154
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis46c
Assuming the same timetable as mine a week earlier, it should be unloaded tomorrow (Friday) at the BMW Store. Congrats!
Dennis, thanks! I got an email today, and then talked to my CA, and my car arrived this morning! I'm picking it up at 4:00 Friday afternoon!! To top it off, I had my financing lined up through my own bank and they beat the rate using a national bank by .75%! As you can see being here in town, the weather will be beautiful this weekend in Cincy, so I'm juiced to have the car for the weekend! Had to be on the Ingolstadt arriving last Sunday, but 3 1/2 days from port to processing to the dealer? Wow!

My bro in law did ED on a 530xi on July 4 weekend and his car hasn't yet arrived here. Should be any day, but his came in through NYC instead of Chas. Now for the kicker, I'm driving my father in law's 2003 E46 330i convertible today and tomorrow until my car comes in . . . . Hope these blessings continue. . . .