2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Made the list for ugleist car for sale

10-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
GT is pretty ugly but I don't think it's the ugliest car on that list!
      10-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

I think what made the GT look bad was the fact that they made it a little taller than the F10, and also that they made the rear somewhat high.

BMW should just lower the GT's roofline to the F10's height, which will automatically allow for a lower rear, and accentuate the coupè silhouette a little more, the car would look much better stock, esp. w/ M Sport.

The GT's front is not that different from the F10's, besides larger kidney grilles and more different headlights (of which I actually prefer to the F10, since they are angled upwards and look more aggressive, rather than the little slant downwards on the F10's headlights) so that should be left unchanged.

The GT is based more of the F01, so it shares more proportions with the 7er than the F10. The GT is over 2" wider than an F10, bigger rims and tires (same specs as F01), has plenty more interior space, panoramic roof (honestly this was one of my favorite little features), and the dual opening trunk is pretty useful in different situations.

The GT should have really been a 7er, since they have more in common. I think the F10 is a great car, but when you sit in the back of a GT, the F10 cannot compare whatsoever, and I know many do not care that much about rear legroom, but it is the perfect family car, and you can be comfortable all throughout long trips.

By lowering my GT, I think it has significantly improved the look. You can see in the pics below that a lowered GT doesn't look any taller than a lowered F10 (@Stevo_N63's ride).

However, if the BMW designers follow the suggestions I wrote above, the car will look a lot better from the factory itself, let alone lowering it then.

Salt & Pepper: F07 & F10 by dinan_gt, on Flickr

Salt & Pepper: F07 & F10 by dinan_gt, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #25
Catfish454
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i x-Drive M-Sport

I saw an Acura ZDX today. It makes the GT look like a supermodel!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I'm not super tall, but the GT and the 7-series are the only ones I can get in and out of without bending into a pretzel, and I just can't do that anymore. The height of the GT verses the 7 also makes it easier. I've driven it on one 15-hour day, and was still relaxed when I got out. I've carried 3 adult women to a wedding 600-miles away, and everyone was comfortable and there was enough room for their luggage. Realize how much luggage three women going to a wedding carry...it's pretty impressive.

Personally, I don't really care what it looks like if it works well. But, I'm pleased with the way it does look. I've owned less pretty vehicles. Function over form is my preference, beauty is overrated...can't really see the outside while you're driving, can't get a good look while in the garage, and I could care less what others think! I'm not out to impress anyone except myself, and the GT does that.

FWIW, the touring would not be a viable option...and, I doubt they'd make one based on the F01 chassis, being on the 5-series chassis would be a letdown, not an improvement.

Drive one, like the referenced reviewers, and your opinion of the viability of the vehicle may change. One reason why I think they don't sell that well (but do sell better than the touring did) is the dealers often don't have much on the lot, rarely in the showroom, and it only gets a mention when the customer asks. Out of sight, out of mind...

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 10-24-2013 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: fixed a transpositional error
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #27
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN_GT View Post
LMFAO

A stock GT in lighter colors with 17" rims definitely looks terrible, but I think those guys wouldn't mind a modded one

However, that list is a complete joke like @xMRV stated, honestly in my eyes the Mini Paceman is not a bad looking car at all.
No offense but yours isn't exactly the greatest...

You turned a classy BMW 5er (ignoring the GT part) into a ghettomobile with red roundels, yellow fogs, and black wheels...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post

You turned a classy BMW 5er (ignoring the GT part) into a ghettomobile with red roundels, yellow fogs, and black wheels...
Everyone has an opinion buddy. I've seen others with black wheels, and even one of the biggest modders here has yellow fogs on our car, and many have painted calipers as well.

I respect everyone's opinion, I just wanted to state that my car isn't the only one with any of those mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #29
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Everyone has an opinion buddy. I've seen others with black wheels, and even one of the biggest modders here has yellow fogs on our car, and many have painted calipers as well.

I respect everyone's opinion, I just wanted to state that my car isn't the only one with any of those mods.
No offense intended. Different people, different tastes.

I generally dislike yellow fogs (with exceptions, but normally it looks ricey), carbon/red roundels, and numerous other things. Heck, I can't see myself modding a 5er or above. I feel like it's more of luxury sedan than sportscar that needs modding.

edit: would like to mention that I have nothing against modding. My E90 M3 is certainly modded to where my dealer would likely deny a warrantee claim.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No offense intended. Different people, different tastes.

I generally dislike yellow fogs (with exceptions, but normally it looks ricey), carbon/red roundels, and numerous other things. Heck, I can't see myself modding a 5er or above. I feel like it's more of luxury sedan than sportscar that needs modding.

edit: would like to mention that I have nothing against modding. My E90 M3 is certainly modded to where my dealer would likely deny a warrantee claim.
I see where you are coming from, and I completely understand. This is what makes the BMW community quite pleasant, even if one doesn't like another's ride, they don't have to fight about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #31
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
I see where you are coming from, and I completely understand. This is what makes the BMW community quite pleasant, even if one doesn't like another's ride, they don't have to fight about it.
I have seen your car a few times in person, and I would agree that the drop definitely makes the vehicle look better, however I'm not usually into the whole black wheels theme ... your vehicle pulls it off well!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #32
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpusher84 View Post
I have seen your car a few times in person, and I would agree that the drop definitely makes the vehicle look better, however I'm not usually into the whole black wheels theme ... your vehicle pulls it off well!
Thanks buddy! I agree the drop makes the car a lot more appealing, if only BMW just lowered the roofline and rear a little from the factory it would a lot better stock too.

Have I met you before, or seen your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #33
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:

BMW shouldn't have made it. I haven't seen one that looks good. Different design may help it out. Something more like the GC then that's something people would like.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAM951 View Post
BMW shouldn't have made it. I haven't seen one that looks good. Different design may help it out. Something more like the GC then that's something people would like.
If they just lowered the roofline and the rear, it would be a more practical and comfortable GC, like a 7 Series GC almost. Lowering is the best one can do to make it look better
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #35
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAM951 View Post
But they made the GC so what's the beef? Car people can buy the GC. SUV people and others who want a usable rear seat and cargo space buy the GT. End of story. Here's what I parked next to today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #36
Mish_Mish
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 GT Xi

We just bought new GT, 3 days ago and for multiple good reasons. So haters will be hatin', but in comparison to A7, or E350 Wagon, GT is a total win.
I hope BMW drops GT for US next year, because there is nothing better then owning last model year in a niche market.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #37
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

No beef just personal opinion and preference. I'm not gonna spend 70grand on GT were there Are better options available . You have a GT good for you. More power to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #38
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

" The 5 GT’s taillights look as if they might start weeping. We already are."

OUCH!!!

This is ugly

Even with lipstick
      10-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #39
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

It a car that you need time to get used to. First i saw it, i hated it too now i think it looks good . But hey look at things from the bright side bmw tops every list good and bad ones

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #40
jim165
Rep
Drives: 1979 Mack R686ST Econodyne

Don't know who made that list, but they are a few Honda products short...

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #41
Mish_Mish
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 GT Xi

I can se some of the cars being in this 10 ugliest line up, but positioning is ridiculous.
I'd say Lincoln is by far ahead of all on the ugly scale, perhaps followed by Chrysler 200. But placing there 4Runner and monster Infinity is very subjective, these are not ugly, just different.
Little Nissan does look like young lady, with a lot of junk in her trunk.
I see nothing wrong with Subaru, besides the badge, those were never good looking cars, except for a rare occasion, this one is just "bla".
Lastly, GT does not deserve neither first place, nor the treatment. I believe that the only reason it gets some much critique, is because it is a bit different and has enormous BMW badge shoes to fill. If GT had Chevy, or Honda label on it, these bastards would be raving about what a break though in design this body is. Just imagine what public would say if Acura ZDX had BMW badge on it.

P.S. this is my "number 1", I doubt anyone with means to buy one, would call it ugly.
Appreciate 0