2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Free GSR Technik Tune for 535i (+62whp +83wtq)

05-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #23
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Sweet! So can someone diagnosed and explain where most of the power is and how it compares to the other tunes?
Well looking at the dyno you can see its full strength at 2900 rpm. I literally just got the tune so don't have a full review to give yet. The quickest report I can post right now is that it's a different car. Faster then my 335 w/ JB4 and pump flash. The 335 can get me off the line but not after that. I'm starting to feel it's "push you in the seat" power from 2-3. 3-4 on the highway is out of control, in a good way!

There is no comparison to other tunes because I don't think there are flash tunes available for our cars (N55). There are piggybacks but I've not tried the BMS on my car so I can't say.

All I can say is there is nothing out there right now or maybe ever for our cars that is going to give the amount of power I just received from GSR. Look at those number 400+TQ. That's 500 at the crank!
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2015, 02:50 AM   #24
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

For clarification of the dyno and your impressions, were you stock before? Is the dyno bone stock to just ECU flash? Also, please report back on what this does to your fuel economy, operating temps, etc, after you get into a normal rhythm with it.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #25
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Good work GSR
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #26
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Well looking at the dyno you can see its full strength at 2900 rpm. I literally just got the tune so don't have a full review to give yet. The quickest report I can post right now is that it's a different car. Faster then my 335 w/ JB4 and pump flash. The 335 can get me off the line but not after that. I'm starting to feel it's "push you in the seat" power from 2-3. 3-4 on the highway is out of control, in a good way!

There is no comparison to other tunes because I don't think there are flash tunes available for our cars (N55). There are piggybacks but I've not tried the BMS on my car so I can't say.

All I can say is there is nothing out there right now or maybe ever for our cars that is going to give the amount of power I just received from GSR. Look at those number 400+TQ. That's 500 at the crank!
Wow, sounds great... finally! Did you get stage 1 or 2? Do you have any other performance mods on your car?

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #27
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mko9
For clarification of the dyno and your impressions, were you stock before? Is the dyno bone stock to just ECU flash? Also, please report back on what this does to your fuel economy, operating temps, etc, after you get into a normal rhythm with it.
I slapped this video together real fast in iMovie of the runs taken through the day. It shows the car from a stock run. The stock run has zero engine or other performance modifications. There is an Edmonds.com coincidently that dyno'd a 2011 535 and they got 280whp and 280wtq. GSR got the same results so we were off to a good start.

Throughout the runs on this video you'll see they managed to pull out over 40+whp and over 120wtq more out of my stock, non m sport 2011 F10 535i.

Disclaimer I made this video not GSR.

The tune is so new I can't say about the MPG yet, but I'm suspecting it's like my e90/JB4 where my lead foot is the gas killer. In regards to temps; I got the tune in shop near Anaheim and I live in Santa Monica. I mashed the pedal all over the freeways (as safely as possible) and engine operating temp never hit higher than 240ish. Yesterday was about 70 degree weather / overcast.

Again still too new to have a full report, but so far I've killed a Camaro RS or SS not sure just had the red badging when he first passed me and then I killed him by half an exit in seconds. Killed a Dodge Charger later that night not sure what edition he was either but his exhaust was louder than he really was. Doesn't matter point being is this is faster than my e90 335 with a JB4 and pump flash. With a 120 wtq increase I'm in the 550i range, but what's more is when the power is available to you and how long it holds across the rpm range.

I'm telling you this is it. Our day has come and I thank GSR FOR THE BREAKTHROUGH! I'm still in testing rounds with them and there are a few minor adjustments I think that will be coming up like throttle mapping.

And don't quote me on this, but there might be a collab with BMS and GSR where this tune will stack with the JB4 so we can get e85 AFR support. That is not official and it was me in quick convo with Bobby, Nick and Matt. GSR is going to be a frequently used name for us 5ers moving toward.

Standby more to come as the days go by.
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 1
      05-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #28
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy
Quote:

Wow, sounds great... finally! Did you get stage 1 or 2? Do you have any other performance mods on your car?

Stage 1 and no previous mods to the car. One step at a time. If all continues to go well stage 2 might be in order.

Appreciate 1
      05-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #29
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Stage 1 and no previous mods to the car. One step at a time. If all continues to go well stage 2 might be in order.
Consider downpipes and intake maybe it will help it to breathe better and improve HP. And of course if possible DYNO it before and after. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #30
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Good work! Someone needs to man up and do a turbo now with a custom tune

Gorgeous car on the dyno BTW!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #31
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike

You mean a bigger turbo? That would be a stage 3 and way things are looking right now I'm thinking a stage 3 would be close to 500 both whp and wtq if not above that number.

Stage 2 is still on the table which would include DPs, but as of now I am still testing stage 1. If stage 2 happens I'm hoping it will look more like high 300 whp and high 400 wtq. So far things are going great no codes and stronger than my 3 series. It's that freaking torque! I gained over 120+wtq!

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #32
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep

What is up shit music in video?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #33
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223
What is up shit music in video?

Here you go Paul223. Just be cool everything is going to be alright bro. PLUR.

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #34
mp411
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
Quote:

You mean a bigger turbo? That would be a stage 3 and way things are looking right now I'm thinking a stage 3 would be close to 500 both whp and wtq if not above that number.

Stage 2 is still on the table which would include DPs, but as of now I am still testing stage 1. If stage 2 happens I'm hoping it will look more like high 300 whp and high 400 wtq. So far things are going great no codes and stronger than my 3 series. It's that freaking torque! I gained over 120+wtq!
Can you do a side by side comparison with the jb4 tune and this tune? I would love to see a side by side to compare the difference. Also interested in why this tune is different from the others.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #35
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
Quote:

Can you do a side by side comparison with the jb4 tune and this tune? I would love to see a side by side to compare the difference. Also interested in why this tune is different from the others.

Thanks
I don't have a JB4 for my 535, but here is someone who dyno'd there 535 http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736053 and he has a bunch of mods. Mine was plain-Jane-stock.

In bb2405's review he never broke 300whp with stage 2. GSR got me to 323whp and 417wtq, and that's only stage 1. That's a gain of 40+whp and over a 120+wtq. Don't misinterpret my comparison with BMS. I'm a fan of the JB4. In fact that stack with Terry's pump flash made my e90 a beast. Additionally, it's my understanding that BMWs newer ECUs have the ability to adapt which means your piggyback is going to get slower overtime. So unless you have the board flashed directly you might find yourself getting frustrated.

GSR can make the stage 2 more aggressive, but it requires me to have DPs. I'm sure stage 2 is somewhere in the ballpark of 350+whp and 450+wtq, maybe even more. We'll just have to wait and find out.

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 11:56 PM   #36
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
...GSR can make the stage 2 more aggressive, but it requires me to have DPs. I'm sure stage 2 is somewhere in the ballpark of 350+whp and 450+wtq, maybe even more. We'll just have to wait and find out.
I wonder about long term reliability of automatic ZF transmissions. I thought petrol F10's equipped with 8-speed ZP 8HP45 transmission which rated for 450 N-m (332 lb-ft), I'm sure there are factors of safety but still that's nearly 120 ft-lb over max rating...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #37
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 | E92 M3 | '15 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp411 View Post

Thanks
The difference is our staff, expertise and R&D effort. Matt Bekam leads all our tuning efforts which are done in-house personally by him. A large number of tuners out there simply buy files or even steal files* out of ECUs and pass them off as there own with little knowledge of what the binary changes in the code are actually doing. For example, on the N55, other tunes we have seen adjust about 30 variables - ours has over 130 variable changes. You would expect that all N55/cars are created equal but even with our base tune we had to go through three or four iterations to get everything out of the 535i as I'm sure bmw doubles will attest to - ECU out, tune and in, out, tune and in.

Because we are tuning within the ECU we can do things that the JB4 just can't do as well which creates a much more efficient/effective core tune compared to the JB4 - especially since we can leverage all the safeguards that are already built into the ECU code and don't fall victim to the adaptation logic. The JB4 can do things we can't do like fuel scaling for ethanol blends and controlling meth injection. Actually combining the two is the best of both worlds which is why we continue to do more testing with the JB4 that can be stacked on top of our core tunes.

*It's just a matter of time before other lesser tuners get a hold of one of the cars that we have tuned, extract the tune and sell it as their own. We have started digitally tagging our latest tunes so when we run across one of our tunes being sold by someone else we can identify where it came from and take the appropriate action to protect our R&D efforts.

Nick...
Appreciate 4
      05-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #38
mp411
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f10

Thanks for the explanation. I'm really interested in this tune but am unsure how it is installed. Is it pretty much plug n play, do I need to dial the tune in myself to get the same results? I'm just wondering if I can install this myself or would I need to take this to a qualified shop, is there an install video somewhere?
Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #39
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp411 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I'm really interested in this tune but am unsure how it is installed. Is it pretty much plug n play, do I need to dial the tune in myself to get the same results? I'm just wondering if I can install this myself or would I need to take this to a qualified shop, is there an install video somewhere?
Thanks again
So this is an ECU flash tune which means we have to load it directly into the ECU because it takes specialized equipment to load and we currently don't have any dealers in Hawaii. So you/shop would need to remove the ECU, send it to us, we load the new tune, send it back to you, you/shop reinstall the ECU and it just works. Nothing to fiddle with after that.

Nick...
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2015, 01:08 AM   #40
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
I wonder about long term reliability of automatic ZF transmissions. I thought petrol F10's equipped with 8-speed ZP 8HP45 transmission which rated for 450 N-m (332 lb-ft), I'm sure there are factors of safety but still that's nearly 120 ft-lb over max rating...
+1. That's why the BMW M Performance Power Kit Is rated at 332 foot pounds of torque, although Steve Dinan dyno'd the MPPK at 355 foot pounds to the wheels on a manual transmission 335i. Not sure what the torque converter loss is on automatics.
Still, it seems that this tune may be ill-advised for F10 535's with automatics.
GSR - any thoughts on this? Thanks.
      06-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #41
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

That's what you get for having an automatic.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #42
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mko9 View Post
That's what you get for having an automatic.
BMW actually limits torque to 317 for manuals when adding PPK, so perhaps a larger concern is a tune with the weak clutch of the manual?

Either way, I've really not heard of anyone destroying tranny with tunes. Perhaps this new flash tune will have this impact, time will tell. But, if this was a hand held solution like Cobb used to make for us, I'd buy it today and not think twice.
      06-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #43
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
BMW actually limits torque to 317 for manuals when adding PPK, so perhaps a larger concern is a tune with the weak clutch of the manual?

Either way, I've really not heard of anyone destroying tranny with tunes. Perhaps this new flash tune will have this impact, time will tell. But, if this was a hand held solution like Cobb used to make for us, I'd buy it today and not think twice.
I think if driven hard manual clutches will need to be upgraded. Since we are making so much power with just our stage 1 we will be launching a "Sport Tune" for those that are happy with a little less at a lower price point than our Stage 1.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #44
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
+1. That's why the BMW M Performance Power Kit Is rated at 332 foot pounds of torque, although Steve Dinan dyno'd the MPPK at 355 foot pounds to the wheels on a manual transmission 335i. Not sure what the torque converter loss is on automatics.
Still, it seems that this tune may be ill-advised for F10 535's with automatics.
GSR - any thoughts on this? Thanks.
I think we need some more data on the automatics to understand the limits. Since we are making so much power with just our stage 1 we will be launching a "Sport Tune" for those that are happy with a little less at a lower price point than our Stage 1.
Appreciate 1