2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N63 Customer Care Package - Results Thread

02-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #45
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
and this is the sound that's coming from my driver side by the turbos....

check the vent hoses. there is a connection that joins 3 hoses right there. the ring can disintegrate over time and the clips release. one good run and the hose will pop out from pressure off the turbo, and oil will start to make a nice mess.

Thats sounds like that noise. its basically the whistle through the hole from the suction of the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #46
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
check the vent hoses. there is a connection that joins 3 hoses right there. the ring can disintegrate over time and the clips release. one good run and the hose will pop out from pressure off the turbo, and oil will start to make a nice mess.

Thats sounds like that noise. its basically the whistle through the hole from the suction of the turbo.
My brand new Vacuum pump had failed that's what the crazy sound was.
      02-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #47
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
My brand new Vacuum pump had failed that's what the crazy sound was.
you serious??? WTF. sounds like the original was doing a better job.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #48
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

Had to jump into this thread, as my ride goes into service tomorrow morning to address a few issues before the factory warranty expires next week.

I just learned about the N63 Customer Care Package this week, and have had some of the issues addressed over the last couple of years (vacuum pump failed last year, and fuel injectors were replaced about two years back). My biggest concern stems from the possibility of having the timing chains replaced, as it apparently requires the complete removal of the motor (from what I've read online) - - that would really suck!!!

It's been interesting reading the comments and reactions listed on this thread thus far, and will post my results once I get my ride back. I've got a Dinan Stage 3 software flash, which from what I've read thus far, will probably face the guillotine during the service next week. (Thankfully, my local Dinan dealer will reprogram for free if need be.)

In addition to having all the parts either replaced or updated (apparently several generations of fuel injectors have evolved over time as BMW has attempted to get a handle on the various problems we've experienced with our N63 motors), the idea of getting a new $500+ battery gratis is icing on the cake for a four year old vehicle.

More to follow...

Last edited by pdrf10; 02-05-2015 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #49
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
you serious??? WTF. sounds like the original was doing a better job.
haha yeah it failed with in a 30 mile drive
      02-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #50
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Customer Care Package Results (Part 1)

Dropped my car off at the dealer Friday morning for the "recall" (as well as a few other minor warranty items), and finally picked it up this afternoon. Insofar as the customer care package items, here's a breakdown of what happened:
  • timing chain passed test
  • 90 AH battery replaced with 105 AH unit
  • new battery registered to system, "battery conversion" programming and encoding performed for "entire vehicle" (thereby wiping out my Dinan engine and suspension software, as well as all 40 radio/SAT presets and seat memory settings)
  • oil changed
  • air filter elements replaced
  • CBS intervals reprogrammed
  • numerous replacement parts ordered to complete the package, with an estimated arrival of 2 - 3 weeks
  • loaner provided = 2015 320i
  • no BMW swag provided at this time

My service advisor stated there's a chance my parts could be in much sooner than anticipated, but per Corporate, he's gotta quote a 2 - 3 week lead time.

After completion of Part 2, I'll update this post with a listing of parts received and replaced...

Last edited by pdrf10; 02-11-2015 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #51
AZ_Bmw_550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i GC

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
What is the basis of this? I recently purchased a 2011 550i with 33,000 miles on it. Would this automatically qualify or is there some other criteria to determine what vehicles qualify for this service? Any info is a appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #52
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Bmw_550 View Post
What is the basis of this? I recently purchased a 2011 550i with 33,000 miles on it. Would this automatically qualify or is there some other criteria to determine what vehicles qualify for this service? Any info is a appreciated.
Re: what's the basis of this issue, I recommend you spend some time on this forum (and others) for a thorough breakdown on the problems experienced and the proposed solution(s) offered by BMW. In a nutshell: the unique design of the N63 engine has resulted in fuel management and oil consumption / leakage issues. Also, Google "BMW N63 Customer Care Package" and you'll find a wealth of information.

Re: whether your recently purchased vehicle is affected by this campaign, either call or make an appointment with your local dealer for details. Due to the breadth of parts being replaced and services being performed, chances are your vehicle will most likely need some attention. The best part is that your engine is covered whether you're still under warranty or not.

Hope this helps...
      02-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #53
AZ_Bmw_550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i GC

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10 View Post
Re: what's the basis of this issue, I recommend you spend some time on this forum (and others) for a thorough breakdown on the problems experienced and the proposed solution(s) offered by BMW. In a nutshell: the unique design of the N63 engine has resulted in fuel management and oil consumption / leakage issues. Also, Google "BMW N63 Customer Care Package" and you'll find a wealth of information.

Re: whether your recently purchased vehicle is affected by this campaign, either call or make an appointment with your local dealer for details. Due to the breadth of parts being replaced and services being performed, chances are your vehicle will most likely need some attention. The best part is that your engine is covered whether you're still under warranty or not.

Hope this helps...
That helps immensely, I called in and was told there was no outstanding services for my car, so the next step is to go in and talk directly to a SA. Thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #54
Dante269
Hard to be Humble
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60-545 & F10-550

yeah you are included (most likely).... just make sure to mention the bulletin number, you will find it around here in one of these threads
      02-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #55
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Bmw_550 View Post
That helps immensely, I called in and was told there was no outstanding services for my car, so the next step is to go in and talk directly to a SA. Thanks much!
Tell them about the service bulletin and include the number. I gave the SA my last 7 vin digits and he confirmed I was included for the recall.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #56
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Also, I Had the service recall done about 3 weeks ago. 2011 550i 58k miles.

Once every 5 start ups I'd say, it gets that weird crank sound directly after starting the car, similar to if you were to turn the key on an already started car.

Does anybody else still get this sound after getting the service recall done? It used to do it before the recall as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #57
FeckinSpaceman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M240i

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92 View Post

Once every 5 start ups I'd say, it gets that weird crank sound directly after starting the car, similar to if you were to turn the key on an already started car.

Does anybody else still get this sound after getting the service recall done? It used to do it before the recall as well.
I have read that some have had it addressed as a sticking starter solenoid. I don't think anything in this package would have addressed that so you may want to bring it up separately.

Like anything else they will need to replicate it before attempting to correct it, so chances are if it is sporadic it maybe tougher. I believe I recall hearing that this issue is more pronounced when it's colder out and on cold starts.

Previous
2019 540, 2018 M3 CS, 2015 M3, 2011 550i, 2013 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #58
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92

It's a bad starter. Had mine replaced.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #59
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
It's a bad starter. Had mine replaced.
Agreed...

Here's more to describe the same problem I had with my starter last Fall:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...hlight=starter

Last edited by pdrf10; 03-04-2015 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #60
Dante269
Hard to be Humble
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60-545 & F10-550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante269 View Post
Mine went in Saturday, will edit when i pick it up in a couple days...

Dealer gave me a almost new (1200mls) '15 535i loaner.

Edit #1: Took my car in for the care package, along with a couple other minor issues. They replaced the starter for me, and did an evaluation on the vehicle for the care package as well.

They informed me my car was ready for pick up and that I would need to return in a few weeks once the parts arrive. Somewhat inconvenient, as I need to clear my schedule for a few hours at a time to make it over to the dealer, but nothing that can't be taken care of.
Dropped mine off again Saturday to be started on today. I received a 328i loaner, although i gave them a hard time, could not get anything better.

My initial reaction at this point is the dealerships are not handling this as prescribed by BMW.

They seem to be running around lost; when I asked what parts exactly my vehicle would get, they could not tell me. Then again, my SA doesn't work on Saturdays, so this could be the issue.

Edit: Car is finished they replaced- crankcase vent lines, engine vacuum pump and one other item i can't remember. I will get the printout when I go up there later. No battery replacement since my car wasn't due for an oil change or some shit.

Pretty sure I'm selling the car in the next couple weeks and moving to a CTS-V or a truck. Really like the car, but don't want monumental issues in a few thousand miles.

Last edited by Dante269; 02-24-2015 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #61
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10 View Post
Dropped my car off at the dealer Friday morning for the "recall" (as well as a few other minor warranty items), and finally picked it up this afternoon. Insofar as the customer care package items, here's a breakdown of what happened:
  • timing chain passed test
  • 90 AH battery replaced with 105 AH unit
  • new battery registered to system, "battery conversion" programming and encoding performed for "entire vehicle" (thereby wiping out my Dinan engine and suspension software, as well as all 40 radio/SAT presets and seat memory settings)
  • oil changed
  • air filter elements replaced
  • CBS intervals reprogrammed
  • numerous replacement parts ordered to complete the package, with an estimated arrival of 2 - 3 weeks
  • loaner provided = 2015 320i
  • no BMW swag provided at this time

My service advisor stated there's a chance my parts could be in much sooner than anticipated, but per Corporate, he's gotta quote a 2 - 3 week lead time.

After completion of Part 2, I'll update this post with a listing of parts received and replaced...
Well, as of today, it's been three weeks and I'm still awaiting the arrival of parts needed to complete the Customer Care Package. I called my service advisor yesterday for an update, and was advised that until BMWNA fulfills the parts request for my vehicle, it's pretty much hurry up and wait...

03-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #62
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Took my car in today to get the starter replaced and before I could ask my SA about this he told me that there was a campaign open on it for some things. He expressed that it was rather crazy and backed up a bit and that one car had been returned yesterday after them having it for almost 2 months. I let him finish and then thanked him for letting me know. I then told him I was planning on asking before leaving because I heard about it from the forum and to just let me know when it calmed down and they had parts in stock so I could bring my car back. I left in the 328 loaner car after seeing if they had anything else available(nope, only 3 other 328's) hoping to have my baby back by end of day. About 4 hours after dropping it off my SA calls and tells me that they somehow had a few extra sets on hand and they went ahead and ran diagnostics and were gonna change out my parts. He said hopefully they would have it done Friday.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #63
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

I bought my CPO 550i last week, as they were doing the recon and pre-delivery, the service department decided to keep it and do all this crap... depressing that I cant take my new car home and play with it, but excited that its going to be pretty much all new stuff when I get it! Hoping its done friday
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #64
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante269 View Post
Dropped mine off again Saturday to be started on today. I received a 328i loaner, although i gave them a hard time, could not get anything better.
I got a loaded 2015 328i loaner, I love it! I have a 90 mile a day commute and im averaging 36 mpg Cant say id want to own one forever, but its kind of refreshing to get this kind of mileage!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #65
ankitpoo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 750i xDrive

dropped my car off on last Friday and got back yesterday. below are the things they did for customer care package:

- Oil Service
- Replaced Faulty Windshield Washer Pump, Strainer, Washer Fluid
- Replaced Hot-Film Air Mass
- Replaced Gasket, Clamps, Connecting Lines, Vent Pipes, Vacuum Pump, Fuel Feed Line
- CBS Reduction/Programming and Coding
- Replaced Battery to 105AH

car feels so much better now. power is much better and smooth. also had surprise bag as customer goodwill with goodies when i got my car back.
- BMW MUG
- BMW Roundel MUG-Stainless
- BMW Interior Care Wipes
Attached Images

Last edited by ankitpoo; 03-12-2015 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:48 PM   #66
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitpoo View Post
dropped my car off on last Friday and got back yesterday. below are the things they did for customer care package:

- Oil Service
- Replaced Faulty Windshield Washer Pump, Strainer, Washer Fluid
- Replaced Hot-Film Air Mass
- Replaced Gasket, Clamps, Connecting Lines, Vent Pipes, Vacuum Pump, Fuel Feed Line
- CBS Reduction/Programming and Coding
- Replaced Battery to 105AH

car feels so much better now. power is much better and smooth. also had surprise bag as customer goodwill with goodies when i got my car back.
- BMW MUG
- BMW Roundel MUG-Stainless
- BMW Interior Care Wipes
Which Dealership did the work, how long was the wait, and what kind of loaner car did you get?
Appreciate 0