2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Security feature?

02-28-2015, 03:51 AM   #1
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Security feature?

Ok, a quick one. I have a garage door to open and close when leaving home in the and returning. First thing in the morning, start engine, put in sport mode, drive out of the car park. Next I put the car in P and then open the door and get out to close the garage door. The engine stays running until I get back in, close car door and drive off.

Sound normal?

When I return home, put the car in P and them open the door, the ending cuts out instantly and I have to press start again to enable drive and park the car. Not a big deal you may (rightly say) but he inconsistency annoys me and incant figure the logic for it.

A side question: what's the easiest way to leave the engine (and more importantly the aircon) running with my wife and kids still inside when I leave the car for a few minutes to nip to the shop? I live in bangkok and it's too hot to sit there for more than a minute or two.

If it's important, im driving a 2013 active hybrid 5...

Someone put me out of m misery please!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 04:57 AM   #2
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by khai Dow View Post
Ok, a quick one. I have a garage door to open and close when leaving home in the and returning. First thing in the morning, start engine, put in sport mode, drive out of the car park. Next I put the car in P and then open the door and get out to close the garage door. The engine stays running until I get back in, close car door and drive off.

Sound normal?

When I return home, put the car in P and them open the door, the ending cuts out instantly and I have to press start again to enable drive and park the car. Not a big deal you may (rightly say) but he inconsistency annoys me and incant figure the logic for it.

A side question: what's the easiest way to leave the engine (and more importantly the aircon) running with my wife and kids still inside when I leave the car for a few minutes to nip to the shop? I live in bangkok and it's too hot to sit there for more than a minute or two.

If it's important, im driving a 2013 active hybrid 5...

Someone put me out of m misery please!
You mention the car is in Sport mode when you drive from home... What mode is the car when you are coming back? Is it in EcoPro?
      02-28-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

I've tried in various modes - sport and otherwise - both on leaving and returning. It doesn't appear to be a factor.

The only thing I can think of that is always different is the door auto lock. It hasn't kicked in when I'm opening the car door to leave home, but obviously its on when I return. not sure whether that has anything to do with it though?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Think this is down to the stop & go feature.

When you have just started the engine it is in cold start mode, regardless of what ambient temperature it is.
Also the Stop & Go power cell (not the hybrid cell) is not charged, hence this feature is not yet active.

This is why it does not stop in the morning.

In the evening you are coming back with a warm engine, fully charged power cell, and when you hold the brake and put it in P the Stop & go feature kicks in and stops the car.
The car should restart once you push the brake and put it in D.

Check if you have a Stop & Go indication in your instrument cluster when this happens. (might just be for a few seconds)
Try to disable the Stop & Go feature by pushing the button under the start button so that the orange light is on. light on=Stop & Go disabled, and the engine should not stop unless you stop it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Hybrid 5 doesn't have stop and go. There is no button under the ignition button.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@khai Dow, I own a Hybrid 5.
I noticed that when I leave the car with the key in my pocket and the car was on battery mode.
I think that is for the security and safety. I haven't got a chance to play with the car much as my wife who drives it the most and my main car is the F15 X5.
I have suspicion that it is code-able. I am looking to increase the speed on the battery mode also.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0