2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Anyone running Verde Axis wheels

02-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #23
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i View Post

... I really wanted to stick to a non staggered set. Even though others have proven staggered wheels with appropriate tires are fine for X-Drive cars, I feel better owning a square set of wheels.)...
I use a square set for winter tires on my xdrive, but manufacturers recommend replacing all four tires rather than a pair nowadays, so I use staggered wheels for summer tires. The intent of staggered widths is to promote equal treadlife on both ends - with a square set, even with xdrive, the rears will wear more quickly. The contact patch area for both square and staggered rears is the same, but the shape of the patch for the wider tire is different, leading to longer tread life.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #24
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowen View Post
I use a square set for winter tires on my xdrive, but manufacturers recommend replacing all four tires rather than a pair nowadays, so I use staggered wheels for summer tires. The intent of staggered widths is to promote equal treadlife on both ends - with a square set, even with xdrive, the rears will wear more quickly. The contact patch area for both square and staggered rears is the same, but the shape of the patch for the wider tire is different, leading to longer tread life.
After bout 20K miles on my square set with no rotation the rears have worn 1/32 more than the fronts. I measured them a couple of day ago.
Appreciate 0