2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes M sport suspension vs standard

01-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
M3 SMGII
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives:

M sport suspension vs standard

Does anyone has a picture with the difference between m suspension and standard suspension?
considering to order the m sport suspension but dont know that you can see the difference between it.
M sport is lowering the car for about 10mm according the brochure
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
HouseofPang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Suspension doesn't change in m-sports in US from what I have read. I have 528 m-sports and suspension is same as a non m
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Only the European MSport package really gets the lowered sports spring.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
ClausCoupe
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: Soon: 640xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Only the European MSport package really gets the lowered sports spring.
Not if you have adaptive drive with EDC...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
M3 SMGII
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives:

according the brochure it is lowering the car for 10mm. It's an option of 330euros in Belgium. I want to lower the car OEM and no aftermarket. So I want to see it on a picture the difference between M sport and standard suspension.
I'm quite sure it's lowering the car because on the E60 there was the same option.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
M3 SMGII
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives:

nobody with any pictures of it?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Drjferris
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 520d M Sport

I dont have any pictures of M-Sport Vs non-M-Sport suspension but have come across them in the past. The car looks much better with M-Sport suspension and drives much better too. I test drove a 520D with standard suspension and it was great until you steered left or right. I recently took delivery of my F10 with M-Sport suspension and 19" wheels. It drives really well and it really isn't near as stiff as the E60 M-Sport suspension which I also had.

My advice, go for the M-Sport suspension, its comfortable and allows you to drive the car the way a BMW should be driven.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
M3 SMGII
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjferris View Post
I dont have any pictures of M-Sport Vs non-M-Sport suspension but have come across them in the past. The car looks much better with M-Sport suspension and drives much better too. I test drove a 520D with standard suspension and it was great until you steered left or right. I recently took delivery of my F10 with M-Sport suspension and 19" wheels. It drives really well and it really isn't near as stiff as the E60 M-Sport suspension which I also had.

My advice, go for the M-Sport suspension, its comfortable and allows you to drive the car the way a BMW should be driven.
thanks for your answwer. But i cancelled the option. The dealer told me the car would be stiffer and harder. You will loose comfort, what important is for a F10 because it`s a luxe berline.
Instead I took exterior line alu
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
SpawneyGet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M Sport

Has anybody driven M Sport in Europe with and without Adaptive Drive and/or Variable Dampers? How do they compare?

Does M Sport suspension significantly improve the handling, and if so, are AD and VD still worthwhile?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
Pacecar
France
Rep
Drives: F11 520d

I have the F11 with M-sport suspension, in combination with the standard 17'' wheels.

For me it is a good compromise. I didn't want to spend my money on the variable dampers, and I am happy with my choice. The lowered look is great.
The M-sport suspension is not compatible with the Variable Dampers (and adaptive drive).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:46 AM   #11
SpawneyGet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacecar View Post
I have the F11 with M-sport suspension, in combination with the standard 17'' wheels.

For me it is a good compromise. I didn't want to spend my money on the variable dampers, and I am happy with my choice. The lowered look is great.
The M-sport suspension is not compatible with the Variable Dampers (and adaptive drive).
Same here. I only test drove M Sport suspension on 530D and it handled well I thought and as I was also reluctant to spend more money on electronic suspension AND lose the M Sport suspension I came to love on my current E61 535D M Sport seemed a double-shame.

But as I read more, a lot of people seemed to have opted for the VD, AD and Active Steering, I was beginning to wonder.

It would be interesting to compare;

1. SE on its own
2. M Sport on its own
3. All of VD, AD and AS

... probably by a few people with different driving preferences, like;

A. Comfort seeking relaxed driver
B. Enthusiast with a bit of Ride and Handling training and proving ground experience but happy to cruise (like me)
C. Proper adrenalin fueled petrol-head who prefers to shred a set of brand new tyres on a day at the track over sex
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawneyGet View Post
Same here. I only test drove M Sport suspension on 530D and it handled well I thought and as I was also reluctant to spend more money on electronic suspension AND lose the M Sport suspension I came to love on my current E61 535D M Sport seemed a double-shame.

But as I read more, a lot of people seemed to have opted for the VD, AD and Active Steering, I was beginning to wonder.

It would be interesting to compare;

1. SE on its own
2. M Sport on its own
3. All of VD, AD and AS

... probably by a few people with different driving preferences, like;

A. Comfort seeking relaxed driver
B. Enthusiast with a bit of Ride and Handling training and proving ground experience but happy to cruise (like me)
C. Proper adrenalin fueled petrol-head who prefers to shred a set of brand new tyres on a day at the track over sex
This is the big question.... I posted this just last evening on BMWLand, discussing impressions of the standard suspension and suspension options.

Quote:
BTW, there are so many option packages on the latest 5-series, you can have 'chalk and cheese' opinion, even test driving them, as the cars are so different to drive. As the Motor Mag's have commented, the cars are all over the place for tester and user opinion. Seems the cars have got far too complex to get a car off the shelf. We do need to try the spec' we are happy with, get it wrong and it may not be the car we think it ought to be.

IMO, Adaptive Drive is a must, but whether IAS is another 'necessary' option for the ultimate drive, some say "definitely" makes the car, others don't like it. How do we know unless we try a car fitted with it? Just as some drivers want the passive sport suspension (fixed parameters) rather than a continually adapting suspension. What's best? How can we say? They are different, will feel different to drive, even if the AD option is in sport mode.
How do we really decide what is really to our liking, unless we personally compare? That's the dilemma as I see it.

I find the SE suspension mediocre, but enhanced by the sport autobox and tighter steering parameters. AD gives the flexibility for coping with more road variables. And the "how do I want to drive today?" approach.

Not tried the passive M-sport setup yet, but I sense that would be the compromise I'd go for, without the luxury of the higher tech', AD. But I do think even M-sport would be even better for me with normal tyres, as I find RFTs have too tight a set of working parameters, to cope with my daily use.

As we have discussed before, the passive M-sport suspension and Adaptive Drive will not compare directly, as the AD system comes from a different design approach. Something like "Soft where possible, firm when necessary".

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
SpawneyGet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I posted this just last evening on BMWLand, discussing impressions of the standard suspension and suspension options.

HighlandPete
I tired to find post on BMWLand but couldn't after.

Cold you post the link to it please? I would very much like to read your opinion and other's.

Cheers, Pete.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
Pacecar
France
Rep
Drives: F11 520d

Quote:
1. SE on its own
2. M Sport on its own
3. All of VD, AD and AS
With SE, I guess you mean the standard suspension?

I would add
4. VD alone

Please note that on the 520d, you cannot get the full Adaptive Drive, but only the Variable Dampers.

Ok, my take on 1 till 4:

1. Not my first choice, based on feedback from the car mags. The feedback was quite consistently "not driving as good as the previous model", which was considered best in class. Maybe this would appeal to the Merc/Lexus crowd?
2. My choice, but if my lease budget would have been higher, probably I would go for 3. or 4.
3. Never drove it, but should be great according to car mags (quite consistent again)
4. I think the VD is probably the most important element of the full AD package, so would be my 2nd choice. VD is becoming more and more mainstream, if I recall correctly, even standard equipment on some Ford Mondeo or similar. Should become very soon standard on the BMWs as well.

An important element in the overall driving behavior is the wheels you put under the car. I personally think that too much attention is given to the "looks", and not enough to matching the suspension with the wheels. My personal view is:
M-sport suspension + 17" is good compromise
M-sport suspension + 18" if you really want it very sporty
AD/VD is optimized for 18", or 19" if you prefer it a touch harder.
I don't think you should put 20" or more on this car, from a dynamic behavior POV.

On your original point (to try all configurations before buying), in some countries (eg. Belgium), there is a central test center where you can actually do this. Should be done in all countries...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I tired to find post on BMWLand but couldn't after.

Cold you post the link to it please? I would very much like to read your opinion and other's.
This is the latest topic, not so involved as some.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=5&t=118710

We've had other topics running over the months. This one may be of interest.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=5&t=113743

I think some of the discussions on here (5post) have more experience and viewpoint.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
SpawneyGet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers, Pete.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #17
AME
Rep
Drives: 550i

Can the Msport springs be bought from Europe and installed in the US?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
AppleVal
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i Dark Graphite

I have 528i with M sport and its height is the same with 528i with sport package...
Appreciate 0