2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum A/C Issues.

09-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
Gibsonn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M-Sport

A/C Issues.

Ok, so out of the blue, I am having issues with the blower fan for the A/C unit. Started with the fan coming up to speed and then stopping and then ramping back up again. When the fan would run, the actual fan speed wouldn't match the set fan speed on the control. The air would be nice and cold but random fan speeds if any at all.

This went on for only one day and now the fan won't come on at all.

One other issue that came up at the exact same time was when the fan was blowing, there was a ticking sound coming from the blower area. The ticking matched the fan speed, the faster the fan the faster the tick.

From searches it seems it may be the blower motor regulator, but searches didn't show my exact issue. Anyone else run into this problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 07:25 AM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Familiarize yourself with "Intensity Setting" and you'll see that what you've described is normal operation in AUTO. Except the ticking of course.
      09-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
It's not "normal" for the fan to go whacko fast and then back down, and then suddenly shut off. That's a failure mode for the FSU on these cars. Has nothing to do with the intensity setting,!his fan is on its way out. This has been covered extensively...
Yes, and so has AUTO Intensity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonn View Post
Started with the fan coming up to speed and then stopping and then ramping back up again. When the fan would run, the actual fan speed wouldn't match the set fan speed on the control. The air would be nice and cold but random fan speeds if any at all.
Is exactly how Intensity setting works in modern BMWs and it shows the OP doesn't understand how his system works

So many people think they have problems when they just don't understand how it works, and that they won't see the fan speed change in the display, but the fan does is own thing He should just bring it in to be looked at so we don't have to debate it, he might have a propblem or maybe not, but he should at least read up on how it's designed to work

Last edited by wrickem; 09-04-2018 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Quote:
It's not "normal" for the fan to go whacko fast and then back down, and then suddenly shut off. That's a failure mode for the FSU on these cars. Has nothing to do with the intensity setting,!his fan is on its way out. This has been covered extensively...

Quote:
Started with the fan coming up to speed and then stopping and then ramping back up again. When the fan would run, the actual fan speed wouldn't match the set fan speed on the control. The air would be nice and cold but random fan speeds if any at all.
Is exactly how Intensity setting works in modern BMWs and it shows the OP doesn't understand how his system works

So many people think they have problems when they just don't understand how it works, and that they won't see the fan speed change in the display, but the fan does is own thing He should just bring it in to be looked at so we don't have to debate it, he might have a propblem or maybe not, but he should at least read up on how it's designed to work
Sure, ok. Let him debate this like I did when my fan did this EXACT same thing last winter and went out in the coldest day of the year.

He's not describing how the intensity settings work, he's describing a failing fan unit with the infamous variable HI Low, Hi Medium, then Off. That's not intensity mode, that's Final Stage Unit failure mode...

If it had something to do with intensity setting the fan speeds would be consistent and not variable tornado force then off in a 4 second time frame.
      09-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Sure, ok. Let him debate this like I did when my fan did this EXACT same thing last winter and went out in the coldest day of the year.

He's not describing how the intensity settings work, he's describing a failing fan unit with the infamous variable HI Low, Hi Medium, then Off. That's not intensity mode, that's Final Stage Unit failure mode...

If it had something to do with intensity setting the fan speeds would be consistent and not variable tornado force then off in a 4 second time frame.
You do realize that your fan will run HI Med and LOW in AUTO, as it sees fit, and it won't change the display and will only go as HI as the intensity setting you've chosen will let it, don't you? Of course "Off" and "failure" is a separate problem, but it does go high and low as it needs to keep your set temp. If you've got it as high as it will go, it will go really high, and really low when it's cooled (or heated). I keep mine in the middle intensity so the change is subtle.

If you think the fan speed stays constant in AUTO, or that the display changes as the fan speed in AUTO changes, like the OP does, then feel free to keep thinking that, even though you'd be wrong. If his is really going off, and not just low, then I 100% agree he's got a problem, but so many new to BMW owners just have no idea how their HVAC works and think that there's a problem because it doesn't' work like their Lexus did. Which is why I suggested he learn intensity settings and what that does.
      09-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
Gibsonn
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post

I get where you are coming from, but the system was never in AUTO. That was literally the first thing I checked as well as went through the manual both in vehicle and online before I posted the question to avoid this very thing.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      09-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
I get where you are coming from, but the system was never in AUTO. That was literally the first thing I checked as well as went through the manual both in vehicle and online before I posted the question to avoid this very thing.
My apologies for assuming it was in AUTO and lumping you in with so many other posters who have no idea about intensity setting.

Did you look at this thread? It might be helpful. Or take your car to a dealer if you're not up to doing it yourself. Good luck

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=FSU
      09-05-2018, 06:49 AM   #8
Gibsonn
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good thread to link him on, Gosh I wish I'd been on the forums when mine failed because it was 10* outside and this repair was horrible in that type of weather with no garage but I knew not to take it to the dealer because of past experiences, and this being my first Bmw this repair was a nightmare to try and just figure out but I got it done.

I get where you were coming from in making sure that he wasn't messing with the intensity setting and wasn't trying to come off as a know it all but his symptoms mirrored mine to a tee. The fan started off as a chirp that turned into a loud ticking/clicking that lasted for about 2 months, then came the failure when it was blizzard like cold...ugh.

I'm one of those enthusiast owners that "bonds" with my car and just sit it hours upon hours playing with its features and reading the owners manual from to back, back to front etc, so the "Intensity" feature was covered ages ago. The most shocking part of this whole system in our F10 cars was the Ozone Generator. Had no clue these had those until I got the unit apart and saw it, neato.

OP I IMPLORE you to add netting to the housing when you do this so that this doesn't happen again to you or future owners. No CLUE as to why BMW didn't do this from the factory. I may have some pics of the crude netting that I installed. It's crude but effective

Yeah that is a great thread. The netting is a great idea. I was looking to replace the foam while I had apart but the netting seems like a overall better solution. Went ahead and ordered a new regulator may replace the blower motor while I’m in there.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #9
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
I'm one of those enthusiast owners that "bonds" with my car and just sit it hours upon hours playing with its features and reading the owners manual from to back, back to front etc, so the "Intensity" feature was covered ages ago. The most shocking part of this whole system in our F10 cars was the Ozone Generator. Had no clue these had those until I got the unit apart and saw it, neato.
Glad to see some enthusiast owners here. I was about to post on one of the F10 boards - it seems like either people are just working on "mods", or they're posting that their engine blew or some other $10k disaster. I'm not seeing the F10 progress into a place where mature, enthusiast, DIYers help one another with maintenance and repairs. I find it odd, and a little scary as I continue on the progression of long term ownership.

Quote:
OP I IMPLORE you to add netting to the housing when you do this so that this doesn't happen again to you or future owners. No CLUE as to why BMW didn't do this from the factory. I may have some pics of the crude netting that I installed. It's crude but effective
I saw you post about this the other day - what is the netting doing that the cabin air FILTERS aren't doing? Why are you getting debris into the fan housing with air filters in place?
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      09-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Quote:
Glad to see some enthusiast owners here. I was about to post on one of the F10 boards - it seems like either people are just working on "mods", or they're posting that their engine blew or some other $10k disaster. I'm not seeing the F10 progress into a place where mature, enthusiast, DIYers help one another with maintenance and repairs. I find it odd, and a little scary as I continue on the progression of long term ownership.

Quote:
I saw you post about this the other day - what is the netting doing that the cabin air FILTERS aren't doing? Why are you getting debris into the fan housing with air filters in place?
The netting is stopping leaves and debris from getting into the fan squirrel cage. That's what kills the fan over time. It's imperative that it be added to the housing or this repair will have to be done again and again. Check out the pics I posted above.
      09-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The netting is stopping leaves and debris from getting into the fan squirrel cage. That's what kills the fan over time. It's imperative that it be added to the housing or this repair will have to be done again and again. Check out the pics I posted above.
But where is it coming from, instead of being stopped by the cabin air filter through which all incoming outside air is supposed to flow? Is your car not fitted with one? You certainly can't get maple keys and twigs past a paper filter.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #12
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The lack diy articles on the F10 is pitiful and shameful actually. I posed the same question about thisnin another forum and the consensus was that most owners lease there cars and turn them in after the warranty expires. That answer is unacceptable because what about the 2nd or 3rd owners? Do they just junk these cars after 60k? What GIVES?!
Hopefully it isn't just that there is no maintenance and long term care because every F10 explodes after 60k. Yikes. It's not following what I've seen for E39, E46 and E90 anyways. Or I'm looking in the wrong places.

At any rate - Thank you to those who fix problems and post about lessons learned, helpful hints and procedures. Especially those with pictures
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      03-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #13
cals
cals
Rep
Drives: E34, E39, E60, F10, E70, F15

Garage List
2017 BMW X5  [0.00]
2001 BMW E39  [0.00]
2004 BMW E60  [0.00]
2011 BMW F10  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Mine is the 550 Xi so it has two charcoal activated cabin filters. The leaves and debris just happens to fall in randomly in the cowling area under the hood where the fan and squirrel cage is. The cabin filters are inside the car and the filters prevent that debris from coming into the cabin area.

Not too far fetched once you open the hood and see there the fan is located. It's right beneath the windshield wiper resting area and stuff gets in there all the time.
Great thread - I’m having the same issues, my fan goes on/off or changes speed randomly (not in Auto Mode) - with no apparent reason. Before I go start buying parts is there a code that may be generated ? Just to confirm is the FSU? Thx
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      03-31-2019, 06:59 AM   #14
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:
Ran into this same problem before my fan called it quits. Changed the fan and FSU and the problem was resolved. Also added netting/screen to the fan box so that no more leaves or debri get down in there to cause that clicking/ticking sound. Common issue with these cars.
fsu?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 07:20 AM   #15
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535_BiTurbo View Post
fsu?
Final Stage Unit

FSR = Final Stage Resistor

I think that both refer to the same part.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler

Last edited by tmarshall57; 03-31-2019 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00