2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dealership Diagnostic gone wrong, way way wrong

04-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Dealership Diagnostic gone wrong, way way wrong

In December I took my car in for Drivetrain Malfunction I got about 2 weeks prior. My dealer was booked, so I decided to pry into myself and I found 2 bad spark plugs. Replaced both and car ran great but I kept my appointment to be safe, you know have a real mechanic take a look at everything plus BMWNA told me to have my HPFP checked cause it was part of a CP (which I'm having a hard time finding anything on). They said they couldn't find anything, HPFP, coils, injectors, fuel lines, everything looked good.

2 weeks later I feel a light spudder, no codes though, no CEL or DTM. I reading forums and start replacing parts, eventually I get failed injector codes (1 and 3), almost immediately I get a CEL and DTM. Have it towed to BMW cause they quote my wife $1,790 for Bank 1 replacements. 4 days later my SA calls, quotes my wife somewhere around $3700 for plugs and injectors, I say what happened to my original quote and I'm told she will work some numbers and email me a quote in the AM.

My sister-in-law works at Mercedes, I think to stick to their competitors they quote me $1790 plus a $200 tow. She calls my SA and asks for a quote, SA obliges her but says this is not a final quote because they have some costs to cut and sends it to Mercedes (not me) and tells my SA she will be sending a tow truck over in the morning. Mind you this is Tuesday, my car arrived Thursday and I have never received a quote with the new pricing or a loaner that was promised to this point.

Thursday morning I order all the parts plus the injector tool at $1,300, a) to make it cheaper and b) so I have the tool to change the other bank in a week or two. I call my dealership and say I need to pay my diagnostic fee and release the car to a tow truck. The first person tells me my car is not done but won't answer any questions without transferring me. The second person says I can't pick it up cause it's not done and my SA can be on the phone in 10 minutes and would I like to wait on hold.

I say no and tell her call me on my phone cause I'm now pissed cause I deferred all the work and never approved anything to be done. I call BMWNA to see if they can assist, their advice was to call an attorney and only talk to the Service or General Manager from here on out and they will be filing a case with the dealership. In the meantime my wife calls an attorney, he says they broke local law 13-30-13 where in my state it is required to receive and sign a written quote for any and all work (BMWNA stated it's policy to initial all work as well) and if we go through with this to call the local PD and file a case (Class B Misdemeanor).

My SA calls and says she assumed to do the work and how sorry she is. She says the mechanic also installed a HPFP, new crankcase ventilation hoses, seals and other items, total is around $6,200 now. I had stressed how important the quote upfront was because my 3rd party warranty company requires or it's an automatic rejection. She tells me how sorry she is for her misunderstanding. She says she going work on the cost and call me back. She gets the labor for the HPFP removed, all parts 20% off, tax removed and shop fees removed, $2,200 + $1,600 for HPFP.

The SM calls my wife and tells her he can knock off another $1,000 and they will do the oil consumption test for free and hopefully can hide the cost under that if there are valve stem repairs or motor swap. At this point I'm out the money my warranty company would have covered, $1,300 in parts I bought plus I still have no loaner. I also found out my sister got the quote on Wednesday and after she called them and told she was sending a tow truck the next morning they started the work Wednesday night.

I paid overnight on all the parts, if I return them I am out shipping and any restocking fees plus who knows how long until I'm refunded. I was told they would call me back today but never heard from them. Tomorrow I'm calling the GM and asking how long until I get my car back after my 11 day diagnostic and at what cost. Everyone at Mercedes is laughing at me now, the Mercedes GM calls me and tells me they made a mistake just like this but for a total over $9,000 and they covered ("Goodwill") every penny and if I ever need anything BMW or Mercedes related to keep his number.

I hope they make this right versus saying we can rip it all back out and give your car back, which was the first and second offer to rectify the issue. I should have trusted my gut and just did the work myself, I have ista but I am not fluent in it so I doubted myself, but hindsight is always 20/20. I am sure this happened before and much worse but I had to vent about it. I also choose not to use names or location because I'm sure the good experiences out weigh the bad and I don't want to detour anyone that has nothing but good things to say about the parties involved. I just want my car back, 2 weeks is too long and with no loaner Uber is killing me.
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.

Last edited by 550bye; 04-02-2019 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

O M G...we need some paragraph and spaces. Every time I try to read your post my brain shuts down. It's like trying to swallow a tennis ball...it's just not going to go down. My eyeballs can't take all of the words smushed together with no paragraphs.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550bye View Post
In December I took my car in for Drivetrain Malfunction I got about 2 weeks prior. My dealer was booked, so I decided to pry into myself and I found 2 bad spark plugs. Replaced both and car ran great but I kept my appointment to be safe, you know have a real mechanic take a look at everything plus BMWNA told me to have my HPFP checked cause it was part of a CP (which I'm having a hard time finding anything on). They said they couldn't find anything, HPFP, coils, injectors, fuel lines, everything looked good. 2 weeks later I feel a light spudder, no codes though, no CEL or DTM. I reading forums and start replacing parts, eventually I get failed injector codes (1 and 3), almost immediately I get a CEL and DTM. Have it towed to BMW cause they quote my wife $1,790 for Bank 1 replacements. 4 days later my SA calls, quotes my wife somewhere around $3700 for plugs and injectors, I say what happened to my original quote and I'm told she will work some numbers and email me a quote in the AM. My sister-in-law works at Mercedes, I think to stick to their competitors they quote me $1790 plus a $200 tow. She calls my SA and asks for a quote, SA obliges her but says this is not a final quote because they have some costs to cut and sends it to Mercedes (not me) and tells my SA she will be sending a tow truck over in the morning. Mind you this is Tuesday, my car arrived Thursday and I have never received a quote with the new pricing or a loaner that was promised to this point.
Thursday morning I order all the parts plus the injector tool at $1,300, a) to make it cheaper and b) so I have the tool to change the other bank in a week or two. I call my dealership and say I need to pay my diagnostic fee and release the car to a tow truck. The first person tells me my car is not done but won't answer any questions without transferring me. The second person says I can't pick it up cause it's not done and my SA can be on the phone in 10 minutes and would I like to wait on hold. I say no and tell her call me on my phone cause I'm now pissed cause I deferred all the work and never approved anything to be done. I call BMWNA to see if they can assist, their advice was to call an attorney and only talk to the Service or General Manager from here on out and they will be filing a case with the dealership. In the meantime my wife calls an attorney, he says they broke local law 13-30-13 where in my state it is required to receive and sign a written quote for any and all work (BMWNA stated it's policy to initial all work as well) and if we go through with this to call the local PD and file a case (Class B Misdemeanor).
My SA calls and says she assumed to do the work and how sorry she is. She says the mechanic also installed a HPFP, new crankcase ventilation hoses, seals and other items, total is around $6,200 now. I had stressed how important the quote upfront was because my 3rd party warranty company requires or it's an automatic rejection. She tells me how sorry she is for her misunderstanding. She says she going work on the cost and call me back. She gets the labor for the HPFP removed, all parts 20% off, tax removed and shop fees removed, $2,200 + $1,600 for HPFP. The SM calls my wife and tells her he can knock off another $1,000 and they will do the oil consumption test for free and hopefully can hide the cost under that if there are valve stem repairs or motor swap. At this point I'm out the money my warranty company would have covered, $1,300 in parts I bought plus I still have no loaner. I also found out my sister got the quote on Wednesday and after she called them and told she was sending a tow truck the next morning they started the work Wednesday night.
I paid overnight on all the parts, if I return them I am out shipping and any restocking fees plus who knows how long until I'm refunded. I was told they would call me back today but never heard from them. Tomorrow I'm calling the GM and asking how long until I get my car back after my 11 day diagnostic and at what cost. Everyone at Mercedes is laughing at me now, the Mercedes GM calls me and tells me they made a mistake just like this but for a total over $9,000 and they covered ("Goodwill") every penny and if I ever need anything BMW or Mercedes related to keep his number. I hope they make this right versus saying we can rip it all back out and give your car back, which was the first and second offer to rectify the issue. I should have trusted my gut and just did the work myself, I have ista but I am not fluent in it so I doubted myself, but hindsight is always 20/20. I am sure this happened before and much worse but I had to vent about it. I also choose not to use names or location because I'm sure the good experiences out weigh the bad and I don't want to detour anyone that has nothing but good things to say about the parties involved. I just want my car back, 2 weeks is too long and with no loaner Uber is killing me.
Wow. Don't know what I would do but the last time something like this happened to me I refused to pay and got my item back. Still feel a bit guilty about it!
Appreciate 1
jonobro59.00
      04-03-2019, 12:28 AM   #4
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
O M G...we need some paragraph and spaces. Every time I try to read your post my brain shuts down. It's like trying to swallow a tennis ball...it's just not going to go down. My eyeballs can't take all of the words smushed together with no paragraphs.
Fixed, hopefully your eyes can now adjust. Tried to post on my phone for the first time and I guess it was hard to read. Please take the tennis ball out of your mouth.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      04-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Since you have a 3rd party warranty, why are you trying to do this all yourself? Anything you touch and don't repair properly they will justifiably not cover fixing.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 11:03 PM   #6
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
Since you have a 3rd party warranty, why are you trying to do this all yourself? Anything you touch and don't repair properly they will justifiably not cover fixing.
3rd Party warranty was a sham. I bought from an independent dealership and they had a warranty that came along with the purchase, turns out they only cover $400 on injectors. So that buys 1.
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 03:15 AM   #7
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Going to pickup a loaner tomorrow while they replace valve stem seals. The Service Manager worked me a pretty good deal, I would much rather pay nothing but that not how the world works.

We got the final price down to $1,734 out the door, so I am pretty happy with it now. I might have been able to get them down a little more but honestly felt that they did a good job at bringing it to the original quote plus I got the oil consumption issue resolved..... for now anyways. Thanks for allowing me to vent without beating me up.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #8
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Damn this is whole new level
      04-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
JayBimmer83
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

WOW that's crazy! hopefully everything works out for you!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Fixed, hopefully your eyes can now adjust. Tried to post on my phone for the first time and I guess it was hard to read. Please take the tennis ball out of your mouth.
Thanks for the redo...and good luck with your issue.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
550bye1389.50
      04-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #11
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
..Thanks for allowing me to vent without beating me up.
Since you brought it up... Meet me at the flagpole after school tomorrow!!

Happy you're happy with the outcome!!
Appreciate 0