2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Help With High Pitched Sound Coming From Engine 2011 535i

04-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #1
Lightningfastbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Help With High Pitched Sound Coming From Engine 2011 535i

2011 BMW 535i with 91k miles.

On cold starts my car starts up completely normal. But when the engine is warmed up and I start the car there is a very loud and high pitched noise. It idles rough with the rpm going up and down around 1000 rpm. Feels like the car is reving itself. Trouble code that I have found is the P0171 code which means that the fuel system is to lean. Also there are several cylinders misfiring when I plug into the OBD.

Though, when I rev the engine up to about 3000 rpm the sound goes away and it idles smoothly. Before this issue came up I had added one 12oz bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner to the gas tank. Not sure if this has to do with anything, just putting it out there. 2 days after adding the Techron I started to hear this loud and high pitched sound coming from the engine bay. I took a look at the engine air filter and it looks clean and like new.

Here is the link to the video on the sound.
View post on imgur.com
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Video link isn't working. What happens when you pull the oil filler cap off when the sound is happening?

If it stops and there's a lot of suction your CCV has failed. It's integrated into the valve cover. The noise is air being sucked past your front or rear main seals and they will end up damaged by this so a fix should happen soon to limit collateral damage.

Here's a Youtube sample video to get you going:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIMpIAkWeNI
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
Lightningfastbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Video link isn't working. What happens when you pull the oil filler cap off when the sound is happening?

If it stops and there's a lot of suction your CCV has failed. It's integrated into the valve cover. The noise is air being sucked past your front or rear main seals and they will end up damaged by this so a fix should happen soon to limit collateral damage.

Here's a Youtube sample video to get you going:
Just warmed the engine up and got it to make the sound. I took the oil filler cap off and the sound stopped immediately. There was a bit of suction to it as well to take off the cap. Will do more research and possibly change the CCV valve. Really appreciate your advice!

Here's the link again. Hope it works. Seems to work on the mobile device app but not desktop. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/6SsS1ss
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningfastbmw View Post
Just warmed the engine up and got it to make the sound. I took the oil filler cap off and the sound stopped immediately. There was a bit of suction to it as well to take off the cap. Will do more research and possibly change the CCV valve. Really appreciate your advice!

Here's the link again. Hope it works. Seems to work on the mobile device app but not desktop. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/6SsS1ss
Sure seems like CCV. I would replace promptly to limit damage to other components and systems.
Appreciate 0