2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Switching key fob off

01-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Switching key fob off

Does anyone know if this is possible by a sequence of button presses, as opposed to removing the battery; apparently a double click on the lock button works on Merc keys.
I'm getting a bit concerned about thieves increasingly using remote key reading electronics.
Apparently keeping the key in the fridge works when you're at home (makes sense) and I know you can get signal blocking pouches but that detracts a bit from the convenience of keyless entry, as it's something else to cram into your pocket.
So much easier if the key could be switched off.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

I have not heard thats possible, have you tried google
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

That's my next step, just thought I'd try here first.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

I have heard this too. If the thieves are outside the house they can use a large antenna to read the codes off of your key fob whilst the keys are on your bedside table and you're asleep.
Physical security such as disklok making a comeback......

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
I have heard this too. If the thieves are outside the house they can use a large antenna to read the codes off of your key fob whilst the keys are on your bedside table and you're asleep.
Physical security such as disklok making a comeback......
Agreed, I tried a Stoplock Pro (get's good reviews) but the arm depresses the horn, so I returned it. Guess Dicklok might be the next step, but what a chunk to carry around, not to mention the faff of fitting and removal.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

This affects cars equipped with Comfort Access. You can see news articles on the BBC and ITV websites with links to cctv footage of such thefts.

Unfortunately, the only solutions I have seen (that work) are putting the keys in a metal container (or the fridge like JonD says!) or a RFID resistant pouch. I've now got the latter.

Typically, don't really need it when you go out (unless you are going to be right next to where the car is parked all the time, e.g. maybe a restaurant) unless you are staying over at someone's house, so not that big a deal for me.

Pouch fits fine in a jacket pocket; so OK this time of year but it will have to be the wife's handbag in the summer... !

Someone on the G30 forum mentioned it might be possible to code the 'diamond' button on the key fob (to turn off the key) - but have yet to find out if this is really possible or not: no instructions in manual or any online feedback from fellow posters at the moment.
Appreciate 0