2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes 351M Wheel Colour change

02-26-2017, 04:36 AM   #1
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

351M Wheel Colour change

Hi folks

Just a quick question!

I usually wash my car regularly, however with two young children under 3 years I don't get much time to wash my car. Hence, with the car being washed once every 4-6 weeks and continued winter driving including Christmas motorway trips to family and general dual carriageway driving with braking regularly during these types of driving, my wheel had gone 'dark' with lots of brake dust settled on. Even after washing a couple of times, speckles of brake dust had embedded into the paint of the alloy.

Is an iron x cleaner able to eradicate thes dark specs of brake dust

Or I had a thought and fancied a change of wheel colour

Has anyone changed their wheel colour?

I was contemplating a gloss black due to it hiding any visible build up of brake dust.

I have seen some x5 m sports in the dealership showroom and they had gloss black wheels as did some m3 and m4 models. They were all alpine white or shades of. My f10 is alpine white hence it got me thinking about gloss black wheels.

Has anyone seen it done any wheel colour changes on the f10. Would be interested to hear your story and view your colour of wheels.

Thanks in advance!

Ps. the wife is adamant in retaining the executive and factory appearance of the car with the original 351M wheel colour.

Regards

Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I always got sick of my factory wheel color on my e92, I powdercoated oem wheels often. My favorite two finishes on my alpine white 335 are pictured here. I had my 19" set of style 269 wheels finished in a gunmetal finish which was basically an identical replication of the oem bmw ferric gray color, another color I really loved was done on my 18" style 193 wheels which were refinished in a hyper metallic color, the shop referred to it as a medium hyper finish, which is also like a hyper metallic gray or charcoal color. Both colors hid the brake dust well, the hypermetallic finish hid it a lot better because the metallic finish would still shine with brake dust on the wheels.

Appreciate 1
Sp12349.50
      03-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi run wild

Thanks for your reply!!

The pictures look amazing!!

I love the second picture wheels, the shiny finish can hide the brake dust lot better because the metallic finish I can believe that as they look permanently clean which is perfect for me and just what I'm looking for!! The finish on your wheels had still retained the factory spec look with a touch of class to the colour.

Well done and thanks for your info and help! You've inspired me to think outside the box and amend the finish rather than just simply changing the colour!

Many thanks!!
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi run wild

Thanks for your reply!!

I love the second picture wheels, the shiny finish can hide the brake dust lot better because the metallic finish I can believe that as they look permanently clean which is perfect for me and just what I'm looking for!! The finish on your wheels had still retained the factory spec look with a touch of class to the colour.

Well done and thanks for your info and help! You've inspired me to think outside the box and amend the finish rather than just simply changing the colour!

Many thanks!!
Glad i could help! The metallic finish does make a world of difference on hiding the brake dust. It simply just looks as if the wheel color is darker when brake dust start forming on the wheels, rather than look dirty. The cost may be slightly more to powdercoat a hyper metallic finish because it requires multiple stages of powdercoating but it is well worth it. The only issue ive ever come across with the hyper metallic finish is that it is extremely difficult to color match it. So if you ever damage a wheel and need to replace and refinish it to match the other wheels, it is highly recommended to use a quality shop that is experienced and can color match correctly.
Appreciate 1
Sp12349.50
      03-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by runwild View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi run wild

Thanks for your reply!!

Many thanks!!
Glad i could help! The metallic finish does make a world of difference on hiding the brake dust. It simply just looks as if the wheel color is darker when brake dust start forming on the wheels, rather than look dirty. The cost may be slightly more to powdercoat a hyper metallic finish because it requires multiple stages of powdercoating but it is well worth it. The only issue ive ever come across with the hyper metallic finish is that it is extremely difficult to color match it. So if you ever damage a wheel and need to replace and refinish it to match the other wheels, it is highly recommended to use a quality shop that is experienced and can color match correctly.
Thanks runwild

I totally admire your honesty regarding the colour match when a small section of a wheel becomes damaged. I never would have thought of that. I really like the hyper metallic finish. My main worry is finding a competent wheel handler to carry out the colour change.

Ps is your finish powder coated or painted?

Thanks in advance

Sp
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
I'm currently debating getting my 351 rims from stock "color" to glossy black. If I do it, I'll just end up powder coating them.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 02:50 AM   #7
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I'm currently debating getting my 351 rims from stock "color" to glossy black. If I do it, I'll just end up powder coating them.
Hi
Since my post I've seen a few glossy black 351's in my home town and noticed that the wheel tends to look a little smaller on the car compared to the stock colour. I don't know if it's just me. I've seen them looking very clean and shiny but I felt that as black is a 'slimming' colour as used in clothes it's not bold like white or silver and hence the wheel looked a little smaller. This is when the car is standing still. However when the car started moving the wheel and tyre combo both being black looked as if the car was riding on 21's.

Has anyone else found this?

Sp
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #8
XXXEsq
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

I've been considering having my 351s black chrome finished. Should look good with a DGM car.
      03-14-2017, 12:14 AM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXEsq View Post
I've been considering having my 351s black chrome finished. Should look good with a DGM car.
My OEM 356's are liquid black which is black chrome and they're pretty cool looking. but eventually i'mma have them powder coated Satin Black.

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0