2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2013 Sport+ and Sport Differences?

09-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

2013 Sport+ and Sport Differences?

Has anyone confirmed what the actual differences are between Sport+ and Sport mode? I've seen people post where the only difference is that DTC is now active allowing some wheel slip before intervening but i've also see others suggest throttle response, steering and suspension feels different. To top it off seems like older models allows you to be able to customize the settings where as my 2013 doesn't seem to have that function.

My car is a xdrive and surprisingly my steering feel IS altered when switching between Comfort and Sport modes. I wasn't expecting it since i have the hydraulic steering system.

Lastly with the SAT trans, if you are in Manual mode will the car automatically upshift for you when you hit the rev limiter or will it just keep bouncing off it? My car is still in its break in period so i am not able to test this out yet.

Thanks,
Alan
      04-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Has anyone confirmed what the actual differences are between Sport+ and Sport mode? I've seen people post where the only difference is that DTC is now active allowing some wheel slip before intervening but i've also see others suggest throttle response, steering and suspension feels different. To top it off seems like older models allows you to be able to customize the settings where as my 2013 doesn't seem to have that function.

My car is a xdrive and surprisingly my steering feel IS altered when switching between Comfort and Sport modes. I wasn't expecting it since i have the hydraulic steering system.
Searched the archives and didn't find anything definitive as a response, particularly for a manual transmission (not an X-drive). Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Bill
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Curious on those as well. I was under the impression that "+" only changes the fact that traction control is off/altered.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

My 2012 535i w/xDrive (non-M Sport) came with what BMW called the "Sport Package." It included Dynamic Damper Control; sport leather steering wheel; 19" alloy v-spoke wheels; multi-contour seats; shadowline exterior trim; and anthracite headliner. This package is no longer available in 2013. I also got the Sport Automatic Transmission w/paddle shifters as a separate option.

With this configuration, "Sport" mode allows me to customize the chassis, engine, or both. For chassis, ON increases suspension damping for a firmer ride & flatter cornering and firms up the steering quite noticeably - OFF feels essentially like "Comfort" mode. For engine, ON changes the shift points to higher RPM and OFF leaves them as they are in "Comfort" mode. So, you can adjust the suspension but not the engine, engine but not suspension, or leave them both ON. I like this flexibility, as I can firm up the suspension for a better handling ride, while leaving shift points "normal" for maximum fuel efficiency.

In "Sport+", the suspension damping is cranked higher for an even firmer ride and flatter cornering, steering has greater resistance (noticeable even at slower speeds), the shift points are at higher RPMs so that the turbo is more readily engaged, and the traction control is switched off so power is not cut (or cut-off is less intrusive). I cannot "customize" Sport+ as I can with Sport.
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 0