2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Oil Temp Gauge

05-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Oil Temp Gauge

Sorry to ask this Oil Temp Gauge question again but did not get much of a response back in August and would like to get a better understanding of what constitutes a Hot Engine. All the manual says is:

Hot engine: the pointer is at the high temperature
end. Switch off the engine immediately
and allow it to cool down.

I noticed yesterday that in using my Air Conditioning, the needle came close to approaching the middle (250F) mark, which I assume is normal. Does that mean a hot engine is at the 3/4 mark? The description that BMW gives above is next to useless........and does anyone know if we have a red light come on when this happens? (Older BMW's did.)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
I have driven this car in 110 degree heat with full A/C, ventilated seats on, and every other electronic device in the car turned on. It's never gotten to 250. I'm assuming that since the car barks at you for the slightest deviation, it will warn you when something as serious as overheating is occurring. In fact, the car will most likely go into limp mode, or shut itself down.
I wouldn't worry at all about overheating.
      05-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Sorry to ask this Oil Temp Gauge question again but did not get much of a response back in August and would like to get a better understanding of what constitutes a Hot Engine. All the manual says is:

Hot engine: the pointer is at the high temperature
end. Switch off the engine immediately
and allow it to cool down.

I noticed yesterday that in using my Air Conditioning, the needle came close to approaching the middle (250F) mark, which I assume is normal. Does that mean a hot engine is at the 3/4 mark? The description that BMW gives above is next to useless........and does anyone know if we have a red light come on when this happens? (Older BMW's did.)

Thanks
Yes, it's a bit vague. No matter how hard I've driven, my F10's oil temp has never risen past the halfway mark, but I do live in Scotland!!!
I can't answer your red light question, but with all the sophisticated on-board electronics, I'd be very suprised if there wasn't a dash warning at the appropriate point.
Personally speaking, I'd back off if I saw it approaching the 3/4 mark and if it didn't rapidly restabilise, I think I'd refer to my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Autojack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M-Sport

Based on what I have read and heard (i.e., nothing official from BMW) anytime the oil temp pointer goes past the mid-point would be the beginning of an abnormally warm engine condition. IMHO exceeding the 3/4 point could possibly be a problem.

Edit: After the engine has warmed-up, my oil temp needle typically sits slightly to the left of the midpoint.

Last edited by Autojack; 05-13-2011 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: additional thought
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

I've never gone past the middle point. I think a hot engine is when it goes all the way to the right?
Appreciate 0