2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum The new BMW 5 Series LWB (Long Wheel Base)

03-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
The new BMW 5 Series LWB (Long Wheel Base)

BMW 5-Series Sedan Long Wheel Base Edition 'Li'
  • Developed and built exclusively for the Chinese car market
  • Built at BMW’s plant in Shenyang in cooperation with a large number of regional partners
  • Wheelbase increased by 14 centimetres or 5.5"
  • High-comfort rear seat bench developed specifically for this model
  • Unique options: Four-zone automatic air conditioning, rear-seat entertainment, a cooling box as well as electrically adjustable sunblinds on the rear side windows and a folding table integrated in the backrest of the front passenger’s seat

PRESS RELEASE + Expand

Munich. World premiere of the new long-wheelbase BMW 5 Series Sedan: Developed and built exclusively for the Chinese car market, this truly exclusive sedan sets new standards in aesthetics, driving pleasure and comfort in the premium business sedan segment. Through its sporting but elegant design, the new long-wheelbase BMW 5 Series Sedan is truly impressive from every angle, pampering particularly the passengers at the rear with luxury class space and innovative features also typical of the luxury class.

New straight-six power units and a wide range of BMW EfficientDynamics technologies ensure superior sportiness combined with trendsetting efficiency. Sophisticated suspension technology ensures significant progress both in driving comfort and dynamic handling. The new long-wheelbase BMW 5 Series Sedan is built at BMW’s plant in Shenyang in cooperation with a large number of regional partners.

Design: sporting elegance in individual style.

The highly expressive front end, the elegantly stretched silhouette and the powerfully chiselled rear end give the new long-wheelbase BMW 5 Series Sedan a truly unmistakable look. Individual design features along the roofline and the side view of the car ensure that the long-wheelbase version with its wheelbase up by 14 centimetres or 5.5” again offers the right balance of proportions. The long side windows, for example, give the C-pillar a particularly slender and dynamic appearance, the coupé-like, flowing roofline comes out even more convincingly through the sheer length of the car. The characteristic daytime driving lights generated by LED light rings in conjunction with the optional xenon headlights, as well as the L-shaped rear lights with their homogeneous rows of lights, again contribute to that very special look so characteristic of BMW.

Interior: clear orientation towards the driver at the front, luxurious grand touring comfort at the rear.

The interior of the new long-wheelbase BMW 5 Series Sedan combines the driver-oriented cockpit and the high-tech instrument cluster in Black Panel technology with a truly luxurious ambience, lots of space at the rear, and exclusive model features. The new long-wheelbase sedan comes with a high-comfort rear seat bench developed specifically for this model. Supreme grand touring comfort is ensured, among other things, by options such as four-zone automatic air conditioning, rear-seat entertainment, a cooling box as well as electrically adjustable sunblinds on the rear side windows and a folding table integrated in the backrest of the front passenger’s seat, unique features unparalleled by the competition.

Driving experience: superior sportiness, supreme comfort.

Benefiting from the most advanced drivetrain and suspension technology, the new model offers significantly greater sportiness and comfort over its predecessor. The range of engines comprises three straight-six power units developing between 150 kW/204 hp and 225 kW/306 hp maximum output. A unique feature in this segment is the combination of a double wishbone front axle and the integral rear axle tailored to each individual model. And on the top-of-the-range BMW 535Li, Dynamic Drive Control allows an individual set-up of the car.

BMW EfficientDynamics for outstanding fuel economy and emission management.

All versions of the new long-wheelbase BMW 5 Series Sedan come as standard with eight-speed automatic transmission making an additional contribution to the car’s efficiency just like EPS Electric Power Steering. The highlights of BMW EfficientDynamics on board the car include Brake Energy Regeneration, on-demand control of ancillary units, and active air flap control. Fuel consumption and CO2 are down versus the previous models by up to 18 per cent.

Innovative driver assistance systems from BMW ConnectedDrive.

BMW ConnectedDrive offers features such as BMW Night Vision able to detect individual persons, the BMW Parking Assistant and Lane Departure Warning, that is driver assistance technologies of the highest standard. Another option exclusive to BMW in this segment is the Head-Up Display.

Developed exclusively for China, built at BMW Plant Shenyang.

The new long-wheelbase BMW 5 Series Sedan has been developed exclusively for the Chinese automobile market. In its features and qualities, it specifically follows the requirements made of a truly outstanding business sedan in the premium segment. Production at BMW Plant Shenyang, on the other hand, follows the high, worldwide standards of the BMW Group in terms of quality, safety, and sustainability. Significant investments were made for production of the new model in the expansion and modernisation of production facilities, and additional, specially trained employees have been hired to build the car. Close and intense cooperation with local production partners and suppliers, finally, convinces BMW that Plant Shenyang offers significant input for the intelligent creation of values.

Videos + More Videos

Photos and Wallpapers Click on the thumbnails below to enlarge

Exterior

Interior

Production Photos

03-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ❤

Can someone translate the new badging on the left? Curious to know what it says

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
dagobertsmurf
6MT forever
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Zipcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@F1 Autohaüs View Post

Direct translation:
"Couldn't afford a 7 series, so all I got is this lousy long wheelbase 5 series"

I guess from BMW's economic point of view this car fills a market need, but it just doesn't seem like a proper BMW 5er. As they say, it is all about the money, and if there is a market for something, why not meet that need and make some money.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Everyone should look at the photos carefully - they show the future of auto industry. Among them, the answer to everybody's dreams, the Ultimate, Chinese perfected Cup Holder.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

This is the harbinger of thing to come, the future of auto industry. Among the images, the answer to everybody's dreams - the ultimate, Chinese perfected cup holder.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
bmwguy58
Rep
Drives: 2010 650i

I wonder how long this was a test mule!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
han405
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@F1 Autohaüs View Post

It says "Brilliance BMW", "华晨宝马".

I was also thinking why won't people over there just buy 7 series if they want the leg room, then I realized most people in this forum can't even afford a 335i in countries other than the US of A...

http://www.bmw-brilliance.cn/cn/en/index.html

BMW Brilliance Automotive Ltd. – World Leading Premium Automotive Manufacturer

Founded in May 2003, BMW Brilliance Automotive Ltd. is a joint venture of BMW Group and Brilliance China Automotive Holdings Ltd. Its operations include the production, sales and after-sales services of BMW automotives. The plant is situated in Shenyang, Liaoning Province, which has a strong industrial base. BMW Brilliance has also set up a branch company in Beijing, with a nationwide sales and service network. Up to the end of 2009, BMW Brilliance has a total of 3,900 associates.

Currently, BMW Brilliance manufactures 15 variants of the latest generations of the BMW 3 Series and 5 Series. More than 40,000 units were delivered in 2009 and the cumulative sales volume has amounted to over 150,000 units. All products have set new benchmarks in performance and environmental protection with the comprehensive implementation of BMW EfficientDynamics technology. In order to satisfy rapidly increasing customer demand, in November 2009, BMW Brilliance announced a plan for establishing a new plant with the long-term capacity of up to 300,000 units per year.

At the same time of maintaining rapid development, BMW Brilliance has always placed customers as its first priority, and provides great support to dealers. BMW Brilliance enjoys a leading position in customer satisfaction among premium auto brands. Up to the end of 2009, BMW Brilliance had a total of 150 authorized dealership networks nationwide, three large-scale distribution centers in Beijing, Shanghai and Foshan, two BMW training centers in Beijing and Shanghai and four training bases in Shenyang, Guangzhou, Nanjing and Chengdu.

BMW Brilliance has always adhered to its localization strategy. The BMW 5 Series Long Wheelbase specially tailored for Chinese customers has set a milestone in localization. BMW Brilliance has continued to expand its local purchasing system. By 2009, there were 200 local suppliers, with a total purchasing volume of 6 billion RMB. These efforts have made great contributions to the development of the Chinese auto industry.

In addition to business success, BMW Brilliance also proactively participates in corporate social responsibility activities, helping to promote the development of local economy, and extensively holding social welfare events in culture, education and environmental protection. The China Charity Federation BMW Warm Heart Fund established in 2008 with a start-up fund of 10 million RMB is a charity platform for BMW dealers and BMW owners to give back to society and help those in need.

BMW Brilliance is committed to becoming the most successful premium auto manufacturer in China, and leads the development of the Chinese premium auto market. And continue to introduce new product and advanced technologies into the Chinese market. By the end of 2010, the new generation of the BMW 5 Series Long Wheelbase will be put into production.

The construction of the new plant will begin in 2010. The new plant will adopt internationally advanced equipment, and include a BMW engine plant. It will become the most advanced and environmentally friendly auto plant in China, marking a new milestone BMW’s localization process.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

I want a 550 LXI with a tune from Vishnu!

Seriously, who needs a 7 Series when you could have this car???
If the 7 is what the Chinese market wants but can't afford it, then this is the perfect solution.
Too bad BMW won't bring it to the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, Porsche Taycan 4S+

the question is... can you order those back seat headrests for the US version!?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
CaliE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 M550xi  [0.00]
those dome lights in the rear reminds me of airplanes
      03-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
npd2983
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 128i MT; '09 335d

The longer passenger compartment is nicely balanced against the long hood of the new design. Definitely does NOT look like a chop job. No puns intended. Lucky Chinese back seat riders!

Overally very nice proportions - I am assuming it is not as tall or wide as a 7-series.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
E89.35i
Private
Rep
Drives: B

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobertsmurf View Post
Direct translation:
"Couldn't afford a 7 series, so all I got is this lousy long wheelbase 5 series"

I guess from BMW's economic point of view this car fills a market need, but it just doesn't seem like a proper BMW 5er. As they say, it is all about the money, and if there is a market for something, why not meet that need and make some money.

LOL, then if there is a 华晨宝马 on the back of 7series, then it means " Couldnt afford an RR, so all i got is this lousy long wheelbase 7 series" lol
ok it's just all jokes
actaullythe difference between North America and China is, on the street you will find that 3series > 5 series > 7series in NA, u see 7series > 5series > 3series in China. Same for Mercedes, S class > E class and C class
华晨宝马 actually means the Name of BMW manufacture in Chinese plant. 宝马=BMW。 just like ShangHai GM or Das Auto(VW,audi, etc)

华晨宝马 only makes 3series sedan and 5 series except 335 and 550. rest are all imported from Germany, and they put holy F****** 66% 95% 143.7% tariffs taxes on all imported vehicles based on the displacement. So, for example, X6 50i sells for about $260,000 U.S dollar + another 10% sales tax. X6 35i sells for $140,000 U.S dollar because of the smaller displacement. However, as matter of fact, u actaully see more X6's on the street than X3, X5's

华晨宝马 will make X1's later on.

Last edited by E89.35i; 03-31-2010 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
E89.35i
Private
Rep

btw, dont know why they dont import XI, very useful in north east
same for mercedes, lexus, infiniti, etc, no 4-matic except S350,S500 and SUVs, no AWD for lexus and infiniti etc except SUVs
too bad
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, Porsche Taycan 4S+

QUESTION? Is that shelf standard on the normal new 5 series? Are all those new non-netted seat backs those tables?!

And holy shit is that a Fridge in the Arm Rest?!

Edit: nevermind I see that its a different seat-back

Last edited by TsunamiFury; 03-31-2010 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #15
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg View Post
I want a 550 LXI with a tune from Vishnu!

Seriously, who needs a 7 Series when you could have this car???
If the 7 is what the Chinese market wants but can't afford it, then this is the perfect solution.
Too bad BMW won't bring it to the U.S.
Now that's what's up. I'd really consider purchasing one if it were to be introduced in the US
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 06:00 AM   #16
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npd2983 View Post
The longer passenger compartment is nicely balanced against the long hood of the new design. Definitely does NOT look like a chop job.

+1,000 (millimeters).
That's one of the main things that makes this car so much nicer.
For some reason, the LWB E60 did not look right at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 07:15 AM   #17
serali
Serali
Rep
Drives: E92 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by E89.35i View Post
LOL, then if there is a 华晨宝马 on the back of 7series, then it means " Couldnt afford an RR, so all i got is this lousy long wheelbase 7 series" lol
ok it's just all jokes
actaullythe difference between North America and China is, on the street you will find that 3series > 5 series > 7series in NA, u see 7series > 5series > 3series in China. Same for Mercedes, S class > E class and C class
华晨宝马 actually means the Name of BMW manufacture in Chinese plant. 宝马=BMW。 just like ShangHai GM or Das Auto(VW,audi, etc)

华晨宝马 only makes 3series sedan and 5 series except 335 and 550. rest are all imported from Germany, and they put holy F****** 66% 95% 143.7% tariffs taxes on all imported vehicles based on the displacement. So, for example, X6 50i sells for about $260,000 U.S dollar + another 10% sales tax. X6 35i sells for $140,000 U.S dollar because of the smaller displacement. However, as matter of fact, u actaully see more X6's on the street than X3, X5's

Good and accurate
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #18
sieben1973
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 "dark grey" 528i

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulixes View Post
This is the harbinger of thing to come, the future of auto industry. Among the images, the answer to everybody's dreams - the ultimate, Chinese perfected cup holder.
Future sucks
i hope we are never in a situation where we have to drive BMWs build in China
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
MDS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Is it just me.... or are the Chinese growing longer legs ?

Dont like the Additional Chinese badge.... Im sure BMW have other partnerships all over the world too, and dont put an extra badge on.

Dont think a rear with all that badging is necessary... After all .. the BMW roundel already says its a BMW for those who cant tell.

The one thing I like about BMWs is that, a BMW is almost the same in all parts of the world.... guess thats changing too.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #20
E89.35i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS View Post

Dont like the Additional Chinese badge.... Im sure BMW have other partnerships all over the world too, and dont put an extra badge on.

Dont think a rear with all that badging is necessary... After all .. the BMW roundel already says its a BMW for those who cant tell.

The one thing I like about BMWs is that, a BMW is almost the same in all parts of the world.... guess thats changing too.
i think that badge is no longer available, or at least most of the cars dont have that badge is on the back now
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
iceman335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E89.35i View Post
ok it's just all jokes

You can actually get the X6 50i for "much" cheaper now, the lastest price is close to 150w RMB, which is about $210K Some of the expensive new models are always mark high when they first released in China, but after few yrs the price will go slightly down.

But still, that is f*** expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #22
aCP
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: FO E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS View Post

love the badge.
Appreciate 0