2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Best way to order a 2015 5er

08-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Best way to order a 2015 5er

I have had more BMW's than I can count dating back to 1985. Recently its been a 2008 M3, then a 2012 X5 35i along with a 2013 328 vert.

With the X5 lease coming to an end (3 years just flies by) i've decided to try to get something between the M3 and the X5. My search has led me to the 5 series.

If not careful, one can end up with a BMW badged Buick with the 5, as a "normal" 5, to this long term BMW enthusiast at least, feels soft and heavy with unacceptable steering. So with lots of research, here is what I have come up with....

I started with a 535d. lighter than the 550 and 535, with torque that rivals the 550 in all the places it matters. This engine is more drivable and every bit as smooth and refined as the sublime 535 gas 6 cylinder... with far better gas milage.

Add X-drive. Now I have an all weather luxury car thats every bit as capable as the X5 i'm replacing. But there is a little talked about bonus! The 535d x-drive is the only 5er to RETAIN THE HYDRAULIC STEERING! Thats right. You can avoid the god awful electric steering by ticking diesel and x-drive. Thats HUGE!

Add M-sport... it looks good and adds that sexy looking steering wheel.

Add dynamic handling package ($3500 ouch!) this is amazing engineering and is a must have if you enjoy "driving" your 5er

Add luxury seating package... once you've had those multi contoured seats you will never go back.

Upgrade the stereo, add cold weather so the kids have warm butts in winter too, and then get silly and go against all logic and tick off the BMW individual red sycamore wood trim for $1080. Why? because it just looks THAT much better with the Mocha Nappa leather. OK, there is also this sexy carbon fiber trunk lid spoiler that looks so classy... think 911 Carrera duck tail... but perfectly proportioned for the car. paint is Glacier silver metallic because I'm tired of chasing my tail trying to keep my black cars looking good.

There you have it. My thoughts of how to order up a 2015 5er that will still look, steer, handle, sound and drive like a good old fashioned BMW sedan.... all while returning 35 mpg.

For those of you wondering... just north of 72

Oh yes... and on the first day of ownership I'll ditch the run flats for some real tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post

I started with a 535d. lighter than the 550 and 535, with torque that rivals the 550 in all the places it matters. This engine is more drivable and every bit as smooth and refined as the sublime 535 gas 6 cylinder... with far better gas milage.

Add X-drive. Now I have an all weather luxury car thats every bit as capable as the X5 i'm replacing. But there is a little talked about bonus! The 535d x-drive is the only 5er to RETAIN THE HYDRAULIC STEERING! Thats right. You can avoid the god awful electric steering by ticking diesel and x-drive. Thats HUGE!

Add M-sport... it looks good and adds that sexy looking steering wheel.

Add dynamic handling package ($3500 ouch!) this is amazing engineering and is a must have if you enjoy "driving" your 5er

Add luxury seating package... once you've had those multi contoured seats you will never go back.

Upgrade the stereo, add cold weather so the kids have warm butts in winter too, and then get silly and go against all logic and tick off the BMW individual red sycamore wood trim for $1080. Why? because it just looks THAT much better with the Mocha Nappa leather. OK, there is also this sexy carbon fiber trunk lid spoiler that looks so classy... think 911 Carrera duck tail... but perfectly proportioned for the car. paint is Glacier silver metallic because I'm tired of chasing my tail trying to keep my black cars looking good.

There you have it. My thoughts of how to order up a 2015 5er that will still look, steer, handle, sound and drive like a good old fashioned BMW sedan.... all while returning 35 mpg.

For those of you wondering... just north of 72

Oh yes... and on the first day of ownership I'll ditch the run flats for some real tires.
Except for the 'd' part and the individual wood trim, your build is the same as mine. Carbon black isn't so bad to keep clean, but any silver/grey certainly is attractive. I also ordered the HUD. Good choices - enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

Sounds really good. I'm loving my 535xd. Excellent engine and the dynamic handling package is great. The mocha nappa interior is really nice. The diesel is so much better around town than the gasoline 6. My previous car was a 535xi and I would go with the diesel again without thinking twice.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

I'm not sold on the diesel from an enthusiast perspective. As one professional driver stated - the power comes on very strong but lasts for about 20 feet. Great for gas mileage, but not for performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I think all of the x-drive F10's still have hydraulic steering, not just the diesels - someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Fitting DHP to an x-drive F10 is probably the most important upgrade IMHO since, as you said, you can easily end up with a car that's less than BMW-like in handling otherwise.

I'm not yet a believer in the diesels, either. Yes, it has strong torque, and it can give you a SENSATION of performance, but it's a bit more sensation than reality. The 0 - 60 time on the 535d, regardless of people saying "550-like torque", is still nearly a full 1.5 seconds slower (5.7s vs 4.3s). Don't get me wrong, it's quick enough... but if performance is a priority, I'm not buying the diesel. Gas mileage? Absolutely. And while I think they've gotten more refined over the past few years, I'm still conscious of a bit too much clatter and vibration that lets me know it's not a petrol engine.

If gas mileage is priority #1? I buy the diesel. If performance is a BIT more important than gas mileage on the priority list? I buy the 535. If performance is FAR more important than gas mileage on the priority list? I buy the 550. My 0.02c.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
noixd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Yea, all x-drives have hydraulic steering. OP is high on the endowment effect.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

When I went to BMW's Ultimate Drive Event a few weeks ago, we got to drive the 535d and 535i on the autocross course. The 535d was stunningly good. I also had one as a loaner while my last car -- a 550i -- was in for service, and I was very surprised at how well it drove (once past slightly sluggish performance off the line). And 31 MPG was pretty impressive, given how I thrashed it.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

I've got my diesel F10 530dX after several BMW's including E60 540i. The current car gives me a diversity and new experience that I wanted to have. There is nothing new with petrol engines, while the diesels provide specific differences and a lot of fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
If gas mileage is priority #1? I buy the diesel. If performance is a BIT more important than gas mileage on the priority list? I buy the 535. If performance is FAR more important than gas mileage on the priority list? I buy the 550. My 0.02c.
I fully agree about performance side, also my crazy trackie friend badblack550xi from NYC does, he has already achieved 11.911 @ 118.060 mph on a quarter mile, and now runs methanol probably learning to fly.

However living in a 16-million city where traffic jams can easily make you spending 1.5 hour for 7-mile distance from home to office, I don't need a V8 as a daily driver. OK the V8 delivers a lot of power, sounds better and stimulates personal ego of our junior members) But as for me, I wouldn't feel so much comfort when carbonizing a sport engine on a street, as I do with the current diesel that feels perfect at low rpms or idle on traffic light.

Actually I totally like the concept of one of the members here, who has 528i as daily driver and GT-R for track and speed http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1018639

Responding to the basic question of this thread, I would like to contribute only with options (wheels and drivetrain have already been discussed). I would recommend to have: HUD, cameras (top view or surround), Combox media for phone and music, and door closers. You will also enjoy a lot the BMW LED lights and (maybe later) some aftermarket carbon stuff, but these are very expensive toys depending on your style and level of your addiction)

Last edited by valbmw; 08-08-2014 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valery.BMW View Post
I've got my diesel F10 530dX after several BMW's including E60 540i. The current car gives me a diversity and new experience that I wanted to have. There is nothing new with petrol engines, while the diesels provide specific differences and a lot of fun.

I fully agree about performance side, also my crazy trackie friend badblack550xi from NYC does, he has already achieved 11.911 @ 118.060 mph on a quarter mile, and now runs methanol probably learning to fly.

However living in a 16-million city where traffic jams can easily make you spending 1.5 hour for 7-mile distance from home to office, I don't need a V8 as a daily driver. OK the V8 delivers a lot of power, sounds better and stimulates personal ego of our junior members) But as for me, I wouldn't feel so much comfort when carbonizing a sport engine on a street, as I do with the current diesel that feels perfect at low rpms or idle on traffic light.

Actually I totally like the concept of one of the members here, who has 528i as daily driver and GT-R for track and speed http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1018639

Responding to the basic question of this thread, I would like to contribute only with options (wheels and drivetrain have already been discussed). I would recommend to have: HUD, cameras (top view or surround), Combox media for phone and music, and door closers. You will also enjoy a lot the BMW LED lights and (maybe later) some aftermarket carbon stuff, but these are very expensive toys depending on your style and level of your addiction)
This makes perfect sense to me. If I lived in a city, the diesel would probably be a much more likely candidate for all of the reasons stated. Most of my driving is all back-roads through the CT countryside and highway, so a petrol engine, and even the V8, works well. But it would be a shame to creep and crawl with a large engine around a congested city. Just the same, I feel sad when I see a Lamborghini or Ferrari stuck in first gear around NYC, smacking potholes, no less, with 20" rims... ouch.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Oh you guys are so harsh on diesels LOL ... 5.8 sec. 0-60 is perfectly fine and savings to be had on gas pumps are huge. (on the other hand OP is kinda harsh on 5 series with "Buick" comment too ).

Now, I don't own diesel, don't get me wrong, but had one been available as 3 year old CPO I'd be all over it, then again, I grew up with diesels and drive diesel loaners when traveling to Europe very often.

Unless you are planning to hit the track, there's no major reason not to get diesel these days (as far as performance goes - I get that it's not everybody's cup of tea). These cars are outperforming most of what's out there and can barely be driven to their full potential on North American roads (without getting in major trouble).

These aren't diesels from 20 years ago. These aren't too noisy or have a hard time starting in cold, they have come a long way in last 10+ years in terms of performance and refinement.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Sounds like a very nice f10. And sometimes I wish I had the big diesel, 530d or 535d.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Thats great to hear... thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
digitalnoah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

That's just about the same car I have! I like your style.

It's been about a month since I took delivery. Love the diesel engine. Love the dynamic handling package. Wish I had gotten the 360 cameras.

I say go ahead and pull the trigger!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
Golfgeek
Private
Rep
Drives: 535iMsport

What do I do!

This is very helpful. And for y'all who haven't been around the 5er d, it is unbelievable how quiet it is at idle...I had no interest in it until, while at the dealer looking for my next car, I walked by one (running) that was getting ready for a test drive. Crazy quiet! Like, you could barely tell it was running!

Sooo...last weekend test drove the M3 and 535d. They are quite different and so there is the dilemma.
The M3 is intoxicating! Tight handling, but with the softest setting very comfortable on Dallas, TX side streets.

535d makes you feel ultra responsible. Very comfortable, nice handling, super quiet, quick enough, but a fuel sipper.

But now the steering question. The M3 is so exacting you get the feeling of a race car. Never having owned an M car, it is exhilarating! The 535d obviously felt soft in comparison, but now I feel I need to get an xdrive 5er just to see if the difference can really be felt.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
digitalnoah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

The 535d in sport or sport+ feels very tight and predicatable. Especially with the Dynamic Handling Package. Its no M3, but its a very sporty full-size sedan.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I think all of the x-drive F10's still have hydraulic steering, not just the diesels - someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Fitting DHP to an x-drive F10 is probably the most important upgrade IMHO since, as you said, you can easily end up with a car that's less than BMW-like in handling otherwise.

I'm not yet a believer in the diesels, either. Yes, it has strong torque, and it can give you a SENSATION of performance, but it's a bit more sensation than reality. The 0 - 60 time on the 535d, regardless of people saying "550-like torque", is still nearly a full 1.5 seconds slower (5.7s vs 4.3s). Don't get me wrong, it's quick enough... but if performance is a priority, I'm not buying the diesel. Gas mileage? Absolutely. And while I think they've gotten more refined over the past few years, I'm still conscious of a bit too much clatter and vibration that lets me know it's not a petrol engine.

I have owned TWO 550 sport BMW's. They are luxury cars, not sporty cars. Once you add the extra couple of hundred pounds of the big V8 over that front axle the car gets ponderous. The 6 cylinder BMW's are always the sweetest, most balanced, most harmonious drive.

If you want sporty, The M3 or M4 are seriously sporty cars. More impressive than the amazing engines are the impeccable handling and road manners. You simply can not get an M3 out of shape, even with all 4 wheels squealing and sliding sideways around a corner.

I took an over the weekend test drive of the 535d, because I wanted to be damn sure that I wasn't buying a car I would be unhappy with. The engine is sublime and is plenty fast enough at any speed between 0 and 90. I'm not racing anyone, and to me the 535d seemed to be the most balanced 5er of the bunch, followed by the 535 and well ahead of the 550, which just drives "heavy".

The diesel is different, refined, more sophisticated and more responsible. I'm far beyond having to have the fastest car. I would rather drive the most intelligent choice.
Appreciate 0